PDA

View Full Version : When your first set of nursing bras wears out, what do you do?

kijip
03-01-2010, 12:18 AM
I finally tossed 3 nursing bras- one was ripped at the underwire and fraying at the back straps, another was wireless and stretched out and improperly washed and dried like nobody's business and a third just never fit well and was uncomfortable to use (wrt opening the flaps) at best. F is 14 months old. That left me with one bra and a baby that nurses 3-4 times a day including first thing when I get home from work, making a nursing bra nice to have. I don't want to live with 1 bra. I went and bought 2 more plus a nursing tank today. Now I am wondering how practical it is to keep them all since my son is 14 months old. For those of you that nursed 2-3 years, did you need to replace your bras or did I buy too cheap ones? I am not having more children that I will nurse, I can say for near certain.

DrSally
03-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Ah yes. I never thought nursing bras would be a continuing purchase for me. Before nursing, I had many, many pretty bras in rotation, so I didn't have to replace very often b/c they never got "worn out". I thought nursing bras would be a one time purchase for me. Boy was I wrong. First, several of the ones I bought while preggo didn't work out b/c of fit. At this point, after 4 years of nursing, I've prob been through 3? sets. It pained me to buy the 2nd set, but the first were so worn out/stretched out. Then, it got easier the 3rd time around, hahah. I buy the gillian and o'malley ones at Target, so not terribly expensive. If you plan on nursing until 2-3 yo, definitely get some more. You'll be happier.

smiles33
03-01-2010, 12:50 AM
I bought YES bras from eBay (rec'd by BB?) and the 6 bras I bought for DD1 (who I nursed until 20 months) are still in great condition and DD2 is now 9 months old. There's no underwire and I always line dried. I totally recommend them and they're much cheaper than Bravado.

Aishe
03-01-2010, 04:13 AM
So far I have nursed a total of nearly four years and my bras are still going strong. I have the YES bras (which I wear at night and around the house) and the Elle Macpherson "Maternelle" line (which I wear when I'm out and about). They certainly don't look new, but they're all still structurally sound. If you plan to nurse another year or two then I think you definitely will want to have a few on hand. I tried to skimp the first few months and I was so happy when I gave in and bought a few more.

kristac
03-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Depending on your size/ style you are looking for you might get away with buying a "normal" bra and nursing in it- like blue canoe's jane bra:
http://bluecanoe.com/e-store/prod_details.asp?pcid=3101632436589&pcatid=3101629411057&pid=3111818359960

chottumommy
03-01-2010, 12:14 PM
I bought only 1 set which gave way at about 14- 15 months. Now I only nurse at home in the morning, evening and at night. So I wear my normal bras, unhook to nurse and then hook them back. I still have one nursing bra which I wear when I go out and know that I would need to nurse him which is very rare.

DrSally
03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
I've never heard of these YES bras, but they sound fantastic. One prob I have with using a normal bra and unhooking--I tend to leak out of the other opposite side while nursing, so I need that nursing pad in place. Many women don't leak when nursing a toddler, though, so YMMV.