PDA

View Full Version : Leaking pipe...anyone BTDT?

lcarlson90
03-01-2010, 12:48 AM
We noticed today that the ceiling of our first floor family room has two distinct lines that appear to be wet. Our guess is the there is a pipe leaking between the floors. I am so upset. Our house is only 5 years old and our builder just claimed bankruptcy so we can't file a warranty request.

Has anyone BTDT? How much should we expect to pay to have something like this fixed.

TIA

DrSally
03-01-2010, 12:56 AM
This happened to our prev house. I came home one day and there was a huge puddle of water on our beautiful solid cherry dining room table and wood floor. The air conditioning pipe had broken and the water had leaked through the ceiling fixture.

ETA: DH replaced the pipe and we got our insurance to pay for the $2500 table and refinishing the wood floor. The adjuster liked the table so much, he took the damaged one himself.

ThreeofUs
03-01-2010, 12:26 PM
ITA w/Sally - call your Homeowner's Ins company. This is likely to be expensive - on the cheaper side if the pipes are (a) accessible and (b) if the leak is readily apparent.

GL!

clc053103
03-01-2010, 12:36 PM
BTDT! Ours cost about $2000 including repairing the pipe and the wall (but our wall dmg sounded bigger)

If you report it to HO, they will pay to access the problem (cut through the wall) and repair the damage. They will not cover actual repair of the pipe. Consider your deductible and also inquire about how much your premium will increase if you report a loss to make sure it won't cost you more in the end to report it.

ray7694
03-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Our ceiling was damaged by water from our toilet. It wasn't too expensive to drywall the ceiling and repaint. The pipe fixing may cost more?

Momof3Labs
03-01-2010, 01:07 PM
It might not be a pipe. It could be a leak from outside - the roof, a window or siding. Sometimes the water travels before it shows up on drywall.

hillview
03-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Sorry to say but water is a PAIN. If you find the leak easily I'd say a coupld grand. Be prepared for it NOT to be easy to find like pp said. I've btdt.
/hillary

lcarlson90
03-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks ladies...

I called our HO insurance and they will pay for the drywall repair but not the cost to repair the leak. Our deductible is $750 so I am trying to decide if it's really worth it to move forward with the insurance claim. Plus I don't know how much they will raise our rate. We are having a company come out today that specializes in leaks and they should be able to tell us quickly (according to them) where the leak is.