PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Plus size nursing bras

NBooRey
03-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Hi All,

I'm 18 weeks along and I just tried my first shop for bras, what a nightmare. I went to Motherhood Maternity (grr, except I found a cute top and dress) and they didn't have my size bra, or even measure me. I'm typically a 38/40 D in Victoria's Secret brand, and I tried on a 40 and 42 E at MM, but I was already overflowing the top of the cups. They tried to convince me to buy this bra to work for "right now" until I found something better-but it was exactly the same as the bra I'm wearing. Why would I spend the money on something I already have in terms of fit??!?!! :hysterical:

Anyway, I need recommendations. I plan to nurse and I like structure-underwire, lined cups to bolster me up. What can you recommend?

THANK YOU!!!!

salsah
03-01-2010, 01:25 PM
don't buy nursing bras now. wait until a few weeks after you deliver when your milk comes in you will be bigger.

for now, just buy regular bras (not maternity, not nursing). try nordstrom, in my experience they have the best selection of less common sizes.

DebbieJ
03-01-2010, 07:10 PM
you're going to have to order online. I like www.breakoutbras.com. Great customer service.

meggie t
03-01-2010, 08:08 PM
I agree with salsah - no need for mat bras, nursing bras, etc. Your size will most likely change again before delivery and afterwards. Nordstrom's usually has a great selection (although maybe not for any cup size over a F or G) and fitter, but better yet, if you are in a town with a specialty bra shop, they usually have the best fitters and a big selection of sizes. I started out as a 36D and by 18 weeks I was at a 36F/G (which is where I am currently at 26 1/2 weeks). I went to a local bra shop which was excellent - great fit and several choices. She told me to come back in a few months for another fit, although I might not need anything, and then to come back again post delivery to get nursing bras.

Once you get a proper fit, then you can order others online. Good luck!

Swimfreak78
03-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Lady Grace has good sizes as well

Indianamom2
03-01-2010, 10:16 PM
I would just chime in that, along with maybe buying one nursing bra toward the end of your pregnancy (so you have something), that you should be careful with underwire while nursing. I normally always use underwire, but I can't stand it while nursing. It can also lead to plugged ducts/discomfort.

Just a friendly word of warning from someone who is missing her regular, non-nursing bras!

salsah
03-01-2010, 11:43 PM
I would just chime in that, along with maybe buying one nursing bra toward the end of your pregnancy (so you have something), that you should be careful with underwire while nursing. I normally always use underwire, but I can't stand it while nursing. It can also lead to plugged ducts/discomfort.

Just a friendly word of warning from someone who is missing her regular, non-nursing bras!

:yeahthat: some people don't have problems with underwires while nursing, but some people do, so look out for that.
for the nursing bra that you buy towards the end of your pregnancy, i recommend a sleep bra (like the bravado original double plus) because it will accommodate your changing size, unlike a more structured bra.

lizzywednesday
03-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Ugh. Get fitted at Nordstrom or a good lingerie shop. Keep the support going now ... your back will thank you later!!! (Also, VS runs weird with their sizing, so it's always going to stink if you have fuller breasts no matter what you measure.)

I am lucky - I live/work near both options.

I got new bras at Nordstrom when I was around 30 weeks, although my cup size had increased a bit before then. I spent $200 for 5 bras and they are worth EVERY penny.

I went for my nursing bra fitting yesterday at a small lingerie shop (I bought the bustier I wore under my wedding gown there because they came highly recommended by my also-busty SIL) because I am now at 39 weeks and will be induced next week.

I'm glad I held off until late in my pregnancy to have that bra fitting because the bra I bought would have given me NO support whatsoever and I am an active person!!!

wendibird22
03-02-2010, 01:30 PM
And don't worry about investing in non-maternity/nursing bras. If you are like me you'll get to wear them as your size starts to go back down post-preg and/or post-nursing and/or for if you have another child.

I also found that the bra band extenders helped stretch my bras a little further when the cup still fit but the band didn't.

michellerw
03-03-2010, 04:36 AM
Like Lizzy, I pretty much held off as long as possible although I was able to buy some 44F or E nursing bras at Motherhood at around 34 weeks. I had no illusions that they would work for the long haul, though. I just needed bras.

At 18 weeks, you should invest in two-three decent bras that will fit you well and grow with you during the pregnancy and don't make you homicidal. My bra size changed four times but I am large chested. I just delivered, but I am now wearing the Bravado Original Nursing Bra in Double Plus. It is not sexy. it does not make my boobs look fantastic. However, it fits and it works well and it provides easy access to my breasts for nursing. As I get closer to returning to the office, I will figure out something that looks decent under a shirt.

I know everyone is shaped differently but at the recommendation of the fitter at the independent shop where I was fitted for my wedding lingerie and I now buy bras, I bought the Anita Rosa Faia 5490. The fitter wore it through her pregnancy and it had a lot of give, which I can vouch for. It definitely lasted past the point that other bras stopped fitting.

If you don't have anyone nearby, I second the recommendation that you take your measurements and email with Melissa (?) at Breakout Bras. I've had great experiences with them, both getting fitting advice and making purchases.

longtallsally05
03-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Second vote for Bravado Double Plus Nursing Bra. It doesn't make me look good, but it's comfortable and will adapt (somewhat) to changing sizes. Bravado also makes a supportive nursing camisole with a real bra inside it (not just a wimpy shelf bra). Bonus: they make matching maternity and non-granny postpartum underwear that doesn't creep up because the seat is actually wide enough. Hallelujah! More than one year later and I'm still nursing & wearing my Bravado stuff.

wellyes
03-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Anita for work, Bravado for home. LOVE Anita, it's expensive but really supports well and manages to be comfortable too.