PDA

View Full Version : Has your DD been a flower girl?

smiles33
03-01-2010, 01:39 PM
My brother just proposed and he and his FW asked DD1 to be in their wedding next year. I'm super excited about it but don't really know what we're supposed to do. I didn't have a flower girl in my wedding and the weddings I've been in haven't had kids in the bridal party either. So I have a bunch of questions!

- How old was your DD? I assume she'll be mature enough as she'll be almost 5. But what happens if she refuses to go down the aisle? She can be shy in front of large crowds.
- Does the bride pick the dress and I just buy it? Is it supposed to match her dress? Assuming it's white, do I need to buy white shoes or could DD1 wear black patent?
- Does DD1 just walk down the aisle scattering petals (like in the movies?)? Is there any other role?
- Were other kids invited to the reception? Were other siblings invited to the rehearsal?
- Is she supposed to do anything else?
- They mentioned possibly having DD2, too, but she won't be 2 yet. Anyone have a DD that young participate? It would be super cute if the 2 walked in holding hands, but I'm not sure if DD2 could handle it.

Thanks!

Twoboos
03-01-2010, 01:49 PM
How fun! My DDs were the flower girls in my brother's wedding. They were 4.5 and almost 3 at the time.

I ended up getting them white formal dresses from Gymbo during one of the sales there. The dresses had belt loops so we did a sash that matched the bmaid dresses. I think the dresses were maybe $20, so that was great. SIL just wanted them to be white, the style did not have to match her dress or the bmaid dresses. MIL added some sparklies to the dresses and the girls were SO cute (if I do say so!! :)). It was a beach wedding so they had little flowery flip flops from Target that looked perfect.

We had a couple of "rehersals" here, so they lined up bunches of stuffed animals and pretended to be the flower girls. They knew there would be lots of people.

On the day, they were all excited to be included in everything. (Which made it harder for me, as a bride's matron, to be included in everything, LOL.) They walked down the aisle just fine, scattering petals. they LOVED it. I think the younger one just followed along w/the older one.

At the reception there were some other younger cousins there they played with. But I sent them home early w/my mom so they could get to bed and we could enjoy the rest of the evening - put them into pjs at the reception and sent everyone along.

I think I saw a flower girl book in the recent Scholastic catalog that came home. I will take a look...

ETA: The book is "One Little Flower Girl" by Jennifer Dussling.

MaiseyDog
03-01-2010, 01:52 PM
DD1 has been a flower girl twice. The first time was for DH cousin whom he is very close to. At that time she was not quite 2 1/2. Much too young, in my opinion, to be a flowergirl, but the bride really had her heart set on it and she understood that it might not go smoothly. The plan was that if she didn't want to walk down the aisle, she wouldn't have to and that part would just be skipped. This was the same for the ringbearer and he actually didn't go down the aisle. Surprisingly she did very well minus a few minor problems (she dumped all the flowers in one spot and then ran down the aisle yelling "did I do good?" but it was very cute and the wedding was on the casual side so no big deal). She did not stand up at the alter with the bridal party and I think that helped also. She actually had a bigger problem with the photographer than she did with the wedding ceremony.

The second time was this past fall and she was 4 1/2. That went great, no problems what so ever. Both times the bride told me what she was wanting with the flower girl dress (color, style, etc) and I did the shopping. It was easier for me to look for the dress because I knew kids stores and sizing better plus I had control of the budget. At both weddings she wore white shoes, but that was because it is what went with the dress.

Besides the flower tossing, there were not any other roles. The second bride, just told her to hang out and be cute. There were not any other kids other than the ones in the wedding party at the second wedding (not because they weren't invited, just none there) but she had a great time at the reception. She danced the whole night and there are some great pictures of her dancing with the bride and groom.

Anyway, hope that helps. Just to pass along a tip, I got DD1 dress at www.flowergirlprincess.com and was incredibly pleased with the customer service, price and quality of the dress. It was much cheaper than other places I looked.

smiles33
03-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks for sharing! Keep them coming, and the shopping tips, too. I saw some white special occasion dresses at Nordstrom's are over $100. :47:
I'm hoping to find a good deal and would love to find a $20 dress!

mecawa
03-01-2010, 02:28 PM
My brother just proposed and he and his FW asked DD1 to be in their wedding next year. I'm super excited about it but don't really know what we're supposed to do. I didn't have a flower girl in my wedding and the weddings I've been in haven't had kids in the bridal party either. So I have a bunch of questions!

- How old was your DD? I assume she'll be mature enough as she'll be almost 5. But what happens if she refuses to go down the aisle? She can be shy in front of large crowds.
- Does the bride pick the dress and I just buy it? Is it supposed to match her dress? Assuming it's white, do I need to buy white shoes or could DD1 wear black patent?
- Does DD1 just walk down the aisle scattering petals (like in the movies?)? Is there any other role?
- Were other kids invited to the reception? Were other siblings invited to the rehearsal?
- They mentioned possibly having DD2, too, but she won't be 2 yet. Anyone have a DD that young participate? It would be super cute if the 2 walked in holding hands, but I'm not sure if DD2 could handle it.

Thanks!

-DD1 was a flower girl in BIL/SIL's wedding. She was 2.5 at the time and we were really nervous about her being cooperative but she had another little girl with her who was about 6 at the time so she kind of followed her lead. If your DD doesn't want to walk down at the last minute its okay. There ring bearer did that and he was 4, so they just had him sit in a pew up front. It really wasn't a big deal.

-The bride usually gets to pick the dress and you buy it, but I know brides who let the moms pick too. My SIL picked the dresses and we bought them. They sort of matched the brides dress but had a sash on it that matched the bridesmaids dresses. In our case we bought ivory colored dress shoes that matched the dress perfectly. I would ask the bride what color she would prefer after dresses have been decided on.

- Scattering flowers depends, in our church they won't allow that, DD just held a basket of flowers and walked down the aisle. In my best friends wedding her flower girl did scatter rose petals, so it all depends on the place. The only other role is to be present for pictures and walk in with the wedding party at the reception.

-Other kids all depends on what the bride wants. In my case she invited all kids to the wedding. The rehearsal dinner everyone was invited too, however DD did not go to that because it was SOOOOO late and she was so exhausted after the actual rehearsal (again she was only 2) that she went home.

-There isn't really anything else I can think of that she had to do.

-DD was only 2 1/2 which was young, but she did it. I bet your DD2 could handle it if she was walking in with her sister, like I said my DD kind of followed her 6 yr old cousins lead.:)

lizzywednesday
03-01-2010, 02:37 PM
The flower girl can match the bridesmaids or she can match the bride.

I was a flower girl twice as a kid (at around the same age) and my dress matched the bridesmaids' dresses (two aunts; one had red dresses, the other had green) but when I got married, our flower girl wore white ... mostly because teal was far too much color on her blonde, petite 4 y/o frame. She wore white shoes because her mom had them, but I sure as heck wouldn't have objected to black patent! (I didn't care, really, so long as she could walk comfortably!)

The question of scattering petals should be dictated by what's allowed at the venue where the ceremony will take place. Don't mention it until you know what their rules are! At both the weddings I was in AND at my own wedding, scattering petals (even silk ones) was strictly prohibited; I was disappointed about that, but we knew ahead of time for our niece so I was able to tell her she wouldn't be scattering petals long before the day of the wedding.

For the weddings I was in, I carried a nosegay (small bouquet) of carnations that coordinated with the bridal party flowers. For our wedding, I chose a "kissing ball" bouquet (a.k.a. pomander) to split the difference between a basket of petals and a bouquet. (It was a little heavy, but it looked just darling in the photos!)

We also ran into the "well there are two nieces, so what do you want to do about the younger one" issue at our wedding, too.

I discussed it with my SIL because our younger niece would only "just" have turned 2 when our ceremony was going to happen ... I said that I loved both girls equally and didn't want to cause any hurt feelings, but a just-2-year-old might not be up to being a flower girl just yet, it was SIL's call because I didn't want to cause any friction.

We opted not to have the younger niece because she is also VERY shy, but she's also my special buddy these days, so it obviously didn't bother her one bit! (She's now 5.)

If she refuses to go down the aisle, she refuses to go down the aisle. You don't force the issue. Kids can surprise you! You know your DDs best, so do what works for you.

GOOD LUCK!!

klwa
03-01-2010, 02:48 PM
As others have mentioned, you'll have to ask the bride what she's going to want as far as dresses. When I was a FG in my cousin's wedding, I wore white. My FGs (3 of them.... Anything to make everyone happy, right?) wore hunter green dresses to match the bridesmaids. If it's a white dress, I'd do white shoes. But that's me. Unless there was a black sash on the dress, hmmm....

Are you going to be in the wedding party? If so, you can always tell DD that she just has to walk straight to you, so she can ignore the rest of the world. I'm worried DS (who will be just over 5 at the time) is going to pitch a fit at his uncle's wedding this fall, but hopefully he'll walk to his dad.

As for younger DD, why don't you ask them about having her be an "honorary" FG. Get her a similar dress to older DD, and she can be in pictures, but you won't have to worry about her not doing what she's supposed to during the ceremony. But, that assumes that you'll have someone to sit with her during the ceremony.

MommyAllison
03-01-2010, 02:54 PM
DD has been a flower girl twice - once just after her 1st birthday, and once when she was 21 months. The brides were DH's sister, and my sister, both of whom she knows/knew really well. DH and I were bridesmaid/MOH/groomsman both times, so we were with her most of the time.

The first wedding (SIL), she had been walking for several months already, so we decided to have her walk down with DH & I, holding hands as needed. It went great til midway down the aisle when she tripped (the aisle is very sloped, so we figured that might happen), and DH carried her the rest of the way. I know she had a basket but don't remember if she scattered any petals. When we got to the front of the church, my sister was waiting to take DD, who was not happy to leave DH's arms. My sister took her out the side of the church and played with her in the foyer til the ceremony ended (less than 20 minutes). Pictures were rather challenging - DD was tired and didn't want to pose for 10 million photos, and the photos were really unorganized and slow.

The second wedding (my sis), DD walked down the aisle with the ring bearer, who adored her and she thought he was pretty fun too. She scattered petals, the ring bearer held tightly to her hand and took his duty of getting her to the front very seriously (he was 6ish) - it was absolutely darling and everyone loved it. I was MOH and so DD walked down after me, which gave her a good goal. :) SIL was waiting at the front to take her, and I think they were able to stay in the front row and watch most of the ceremony, but I don't remember for sure. Pictures went a little better, they were more efficient and got all the kids photographed as quickly as possible.

As for clothing - for SIL's wedding, she wanted very specific dresses that she couldn't find in stores, so MIL (excellent seamstress) made them ALL. DD's was very simple white satin scoop neck tank top style with a brown wide ribbon tied around the waist to match the bridesmaids, and a white satin shrug (which DD hated - not comfy at all). White tights, and SIL wanted brown shoes for DD. We did brown t-straps, and a brown & white satin hairbow that SIL approved.

We used the same white dress for my sister's wedding, but obviously DD had grown, and we added a petticoat and switched the ribbon color to green, and skipped the shrug. It looked like a totally different dress, even to MIL who made it. White tights and white patent MJs, and a white & green bow my sis designed.

For both weddings, lots of kids were at the reception, and DD came to the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. DS was not conceived yet, and there weren't any other cousins at the time.

When we got married, our ring bearer was just barely 3, and the flower girls were 3 & 5 year old sisters who walked down holding hands. We loved having them. We practiced with DD a bit, letting her play with the basket, and since DH was on staff at the church both weddings were at, we let her practice walking down the aisle. My BIL got married when DD was 9 months old, and both DH & I were in the wedding party. That wedding was way harder than the two that DD was in.

Here are my tips:

1- Make sure the bride and groom are a-ok with and expecting that with little kids, anything can happen. If she refuses to go down the aisle, will the bride & groom be ok with it? Have a plan for if that happens.

2- Have someone assigned to be DD's buddy. If you or DH aren't in the wedding party, it can be one of you. But that person is in charge of being at the front, sitting on the inside of the aisle ready to take DD when she gets up there. We had a little basket of quiet toys under the front pew, which worked well. The buddy might have to miss the whole ceremony though, so take that into account when choosing.

DD would never have gone down the aisle by herself at either wedding, but now she is 4 and I'd say we have a 50/50 chance that she'd go down alone. :)

Kids consignment shops always have flower girl dresses, so you could look there if you need just one. Otherwise, since you have time to wait and look, I'd watch the stores for white Easter dresses, especially when they go on sale after Easter. White dresses probably go on sale at the end of the summer too. And I'm sure Ebay has lots too. Good luck!

jse107
03-01-2010, 03:04 PM
We're just about to do this! DS (5) will be the ringbearer at my BILs wedding on May 1st. DD (2) will be the flowergirl. Fortunately, they don't really care how well she does down the aisle--I think they mostly just want to see her in a big poofy dress! :)

I went a bit overboard on the dress in terms of pricing, but I'm thinking about getting it preserved/framed afterwards. We'll see. I couldn't find anything in any B/M stores that matched what we were looking for or the fabric color of the bridesmaids. It's going to be beautiful! DH was onboard so I didn't overspend on my own!

Now, onto some cute white shoes!

jse107
03-01-2010, 03:06 PM

Thanks!

I've seen some kids being pulled in a wagon that's decorated!

Maggie'sMom
03-01-2010, 03:12 PM
DD turned 2 12/18 and was flower girl in my sister's wedding Jan 30. due to snow and ice the rehersal was cancelled, so we weren't sure exactly what she would do. Once the second bridesmaid was walking down the aisle DD took off running and DN(6), and a jr bridesmaid followed her down the aisle, once at the front DD stood looking up at groom and DN took DD's basket and went back up the aisle and then re-entered at her assigned time. I was the maid of honor, and due to broken ankle was wheelchair bound, but once I was down the aisle DD sat in my lap throughout the ceremony and then she and the ringbearer (4) ran out together at the appropriate time. everyone thought it was really cute.

At our wedding, oldest DN was 1 1/2 and our flower girl. We had outside at state park and my sister, her mom was my made of honor and DN just walked down the aisle with her.

As for dress, sister just wanted it to be white. Found one very similar to hers for DD on ebay for about $25 and we bought a sash that matched the jr bridesmaids dresses. She wore white tights and white patent shoes.

crl
03-01-2010, 03:23 PM
We had a flower girl at our wedding. She was the daughter of my mother's flower girl and she wore the dress my mother's flower girl had worn. (The grandmother was my mom's matron of honor and still had the dress!) It was off-white ('cause my mom's wedding dress was off-white) and had a hot pink sash. The sash matched my mom's bridesmaids' dresses and by total coincidence (my parent's wedding pics are black and white so I didn't know my mom had the same color I chose for my maid of honor's dress) matched my attendant's dress. I think she wore black patent shoes--whatever they were I left them and her hair up to her mom.

I said upfront that I understood she might not go down the aisle and that was fine with me, I didn't want anyone trying to coax her into it if she didn't want to. We sat her grandpa (she adored him) up in the second aisle and told her to walk to him. Then she just sat with him for the ceremony. It worked out quite well.

We had her and her (single) mom and her grandparents at the rehearsal dinner and at the wedding. She was the only child, not because we were deliberately excluding kids but because at that point no one had any.

Catherine

caleymama
03-01-2010, 04:25 PM

Thanks!

My DDs were flower girls in my sister's wedding 1.5 yrs ago, so they were newly 6 and almost 4.

I found their dresses at this time of year at Marshall's with the communion/easter type dresses. They were in the $30 range. I bought 3 dresses in 3 consecutive sizes since I wasn't sure what size they would be by wedding time. They ended up being exactly the size I thought they'd be so the middle size was not used. The dresses I got were ivory and the beading around the waist had some gold in it so we went with little gold ballet flat style shoes from zappos, I think.

They were invited to the reception, but other than my cousins (ages 8, 10, 14 at the time) they were the only kids there. DD2 fell asleep in my arms most of the way through dinner and we laid her on 2 chairs side by side and she was fine. DD1 was a dancing fool the entire evening :). At the ceremony they did scatter rose petals down the aisle and then sat in the front row (with my grandparents, I think).

My cousin is getting married this fall and he and his fiance have asked DD2 (will still be 5 at the time) to be their flower girl. DD1 will be 8, and she understands that she's getting too big to be a flower girl. The bride took me by surprise and said that DD2 could just wear the dress DD1 wore in my sister's wedding and that she'd get her a coordinating sash. She said she loved the dress and saw no need to get new one. (love her!)

cono0507
03-01-2010, 05:58 PM
My DD was a flower girl in SIL's wedding when she was about 16 months old. My SIL had a somewhat non-traditional wedding and DD wore a dress with fall colors (not white) and carried a bride and groom teddy bear set down the aisle. I was seated in the second row, so she just walked up the aisle to me and sat with us then.

DS was 3.5 at the time and was the ring bearer. He is pretty shy but did great and walked all the way up to the front to give BIL the rings (he really likes BIL so it was easy).

Both kids came to the reception for a little while, but then got tired. The reception was downstairs from a hotel so we just got a hotel room and hired a babysitter to watch the kids so DH and I could be at the reception.

She will be a flower girl again this year at age 3 for my brother's wedding. The bride has been looking at flower girl dresses made my the same manufacturer as the bridesmaid dresses - not the same dress, just the same designer. I told her to choose whatever she likes and we'll get it. They are all cute dresses and it is easier for me to do that and I figure she already has an idea in her head of what she wants DD to look like, which really is fine with me. DS will also be the ring bearer (age 5). The bride and groom gave us the choice of finding a suit for him or renting a small version of what the other men in the wedding will wear and we went with the matching rental.

Have fun! :)

Thanks!

Melbel
03-01-2010, 06:53 PM
DD1 has been a flower girl 2x. The first time, she was 3.5, the second time 6.5.

For both weddings, the bride picked out the dress. The first one (a white or ivory Strasburg dress w/ sash to coordinate with the bridesmaid) the bride paid, the second (a lavender dress from David's Bridals), we paid. DD1 wore light colored mary janes for both weddings.

I LOVE the flower girl dresses from Strasburg Children. They are pricey but heirloom quality. http://www.strasburgchildren.com/department.asp?deptid=7124&sec=girls

The David's Bridal dress was actually more expensive, now that I think of it, but not nearly the same quality.

We bought this adorable book the first time: http://www.amazon.com/Flower-Girl-Laura-Godwin/dp/0786804084/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267482864&sr=8-2
It was great to help DD1 know what to expect.

At the first wedding, I helped "launch" DD1 and my husband was in the groom's party. She initially started but then came back to ask me if I could walk with her, but then she did fine. She sat with me in the front. At age 5, DS was able to stand with the wedding party for the entire ceremony. We were prepared for DS to sit with me in the front row if necessary.

ETA: Other children were invited to the wedding and reception for both weddings. They really had a blast! I love to see children dancing at wedding receptions.

ciw
03-01-2010, 07:03 PM
I just wanted to add that this is a GREAT time of year to be shopping for a flower girl dress because so many stores have fancy dresses out for Easter. In addition to the suggestions you've gotten, you may want to check out Burlington Coat Factory -- they usually have tons of fancy little girl dresses for Easter in white, ivory, pink, purple and blue. That's actually where we bought the dress for my niece who was the flowergirl in my wedding. Our wedding was years ago but the same dresses seem to pop up there every year around this time. But do your shopping before Easter if you can -- it gets a lot tougher to find fancy dresses after the holiday....well, until Christmas.

oneplustwo
03-01-2010, 11:11 PM

Thanks!

DD was 18 months when she was a flower girl for a family wedding. It was a very formal wedding, in a cathedral. This was in Puerto Rico, so it was a big wedding and included a bunch of kids at both the wedding and the reception afterward, but DD was the only child in the wedding party. The bride decided on what she wanted for attire for the whole wedding party, including DD, and arranged to have all the dresses made by a local seamstress. We covered the cost, and I still have the dress --it's a gorgeous, handmade silk dress that I think we paid maybe $50 for. The dress was long and a bit poufy, so IIRC we just had DD wear her white Keds sneakers. No one could see them. I'm sure the bride will tell you what she wants DD to wear and if she wants you to buy it.

DD held a little bouquet of flowers; no sprinkling of petals at this wedding. Since DH and I were not part of the wedding, DH stood with her at the back of the church and I sat in the front pew. DH sent her down the aisle at the appointed moment with the instructions, "go to mommy." She did beautifully during the rehearsal. When the cathedral was filled with guests it was a bit different. DD started down the aisle then froze, but when I gestured to her she made it all the way down. Boy, was I a proud stage mom!! The bride loves children and was prepared to have glitches occur with a young child, and I think that's important. You need to make sure the bride wouldn't be upset if things don't go smoothly and understands that kids can be unpredictable.

We decided to let DD participate b/c we know her well and felt she could handle it. She loves being the center of attention.

The only other part of DD's role as a flower girl was to pose with the wedding party for pictures.

corrie23
03-07-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm coming in late, but FWIW, my older DD was a FG in my cousin's wedding last spring (she was 6 at the time) There were 3 FGs ages 5, 6, and 7. The bride said that the colors were chocolate brown/gold and that something in that vein would be good. I searched on ebay (a lot of new FG dresses are sold there by folks who seem to only sell wedding-related items). I forwarded the options to all the moms and we agreed on a style and all ordered it in the sizes for our girls. The bride provided each girl with a little tiara (Claire's Boutique) and my mother made them all matching baskets with gold ribbon and fake flower petals inside. The dresses were around $20 each and shipping was about $10. The dress wasn't especially spectacular and they didn't fit like a glove, but they were just fine for the purpose they served. If I had been especially motivated, I could have gotten it altered for a better fit, but to be it wasn't a big deal (my DD is tall and thin so most off the rack clothing can be pretty wide on her.

Both my girls (and my sister's daughter) will be FGs in my brother's wedding in May. The three girls will be 4,6, and 7. The BMs are wearing black which isn't very girly IMO. The groomsmen are wearing lilac vests so the bride told us to look for something in lilac. Again, I went to ebay and found a bunch of options. I sent them along to my sister and she picked her top 3. We forwarded the links to my future SIL and she eliminated one and told us to pick our favorite of the remaining two, so we did. Again, the BIN price was $20/gown and the shipping was $19 for 2 gowns. They just arrived yesterday and look good, although I haven't tried them on the girls yet. It was this dress:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270518807778&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

As far as their role in the wedding, they'll basically walk down the aisle and toss petals and look cute in pictures. My brother/future SIL really just wanted them to feel special and pretty so they figured, why not make them FGs .