PDA

View Full Version : How long do your twins REALLY sleep?

twowhat?
03-01-2010, 03:33 PM
I guess I'm just looking for sympathy here...anyone else have one (or both) twins who is a "short sleeper"? It SUCKS!!! We have one who sleeps a total of 11.5-12 hours each day. The other sleeps only 10.5-11 hours a day. They go to bed at 8pm, and Twin A wakes by 6am, and we move her into our room in the P&P so she won't wake her sister, and she will roll around for 15 min and sleep another 15 min or so. Then, she will only take a single nap of 45 minutes. Our Twin B sleeps from 8pm until 6:30pm without fussing and takes a solid 1 or 1.5 hour nap.

I know it's still in the range of "normal" amounts of sleep (per Ferber) but it just seems like everyone else I know has babies that sleep at least 10-11 hours at night AND take a 2 hours nap!!! I can count on one hand the number of times my kiddos have taken a 2 hour nap. I am lucky to get an HOUR to myself, during which I am scrambling to clean up dishes, toys, books, and making myself lunch and actually drinking my coffee which has been sitting out since morning. And of course, now Twin A is awake and screaming and I just managed to wolf down lunch and haven't finished my coffee yet. ARGH!!!

I guess my bigger concern is what is going to happen at day care when they must lie down for 2 hours to nap. I can see 2 scenarios - they never nap the whole 2 hours and just lie there awake (and the day care will get to deal with that), OR (worse), they adjust and nap for 2 hours, which then cuts into their nighttime sleep so they won't sleep as long at night. Sigh. It just seems like a lose-lose situation.

Melaine
03-01-2010, 03:36 PM
How old are your kiddos?

twowhat?
03-01-2010, 03:37 PM
How old are your kiddos?

They are 18 months old now.

Melaine
03-01-2010, 03:41 PM
That's rough. Mine are not good sleepers, but IIRC at that age they were sleeping a bit more than 12 hours....our nap time would be anywhere from 1-2 hours and I can't really remember when bedtime was. I am thinking they were sleeping about 7-7. Honestly, it is so hard for me to remember the details and timeline of everything looking back.

I definitely have friends whose children sleep a lot longer and I feel jealous and frustrated. Especially since night wakings are still fairly typical for us even at 3.5!

ETA: You can always hope that they switch into a better sleep schedule, it's totally possible. It seems no sooner am I used to a phase then it changes, yk? Hopefully they start sleeping a little more, it is really really hard at that age to get ANYTHING done. It DOES get easier, I promise.

TwinFoxes
03-02-2010, 12:58 PM
My girls go to bed at 7pm, and wake up between 6:30-7:30. They are morning nappers, and will sleep from just after 10am to between 12pm-1:30pm. They are 20 months old. This has been their sleeping pattern for the past six months or so I think...except they slept a little later in the morning, usually till 8am (oh, I miss those days!)

k_null81
03-03-2010, 02:30 PM
My boys usually go to bed between 7:30-8:30 pm and don't wake up at all till 6:30-7:30am. They have been on this pattern since around the end of October. We are very thankful for that.

As far as naps go we don't have set naps. But they seem to follow a pattern. They get a morning bottle around 7:30 and they play around for a couple hours then they usually lay down around 9:30-10. I think they typically take about an hour nap or so. Sometimes more or less. They get fed again around noon and they again will take another hour or so nap in between their noon feeding and their 4:30 feeding. Then they will take another nap between 4:30 feeding and their 7:30 feeding for the night.

Now they don't always take 3 naps a day each but they usually take atleast 2 a day. We typically don't set a time because they seem to be really cranky if you lay them down and they aren't tired so we usually wait for the sleepy cue's before actually laying them down whether together or 20 minutes a part or sometimes one of them will skip a nap all together.

They are a little over 7 months old so my boys are a lot younger. Not sure if my boys would be consider normal or not. My mom thinks they sleep to much.

NN317
03-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Mine will be 18 months old in a couple weeks. They go to bed between 6:30-7pm and sleep until 7-7:30am. Nap time is from 11:30am-2pm, though they usually only sleep for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours and babble to each other the rest of it.

BeachBum
03-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Well mine nap for about 1.5 hr in the morning and 1 hr in the afternoon, but they don't STTN.
They "sleep" about 11 hours at night. One wakes up at least 1x and the other one about 3x. UGH.

caheinz
03-04-2010, 10:36 PM
We're on our way to the 18mo mark, and the twins are usually asleep by 7-7:30pm, and usually awake by 6:30am. Naps are in the early afternoon, and run anywhere from 1-3h.

They do wake each other up from time to time, and someone has to help them sleep, since one or the other will usually fall asleep first and then the still-awake one likes to try to wake him... it's also common for one to wake up first, and then wake the other before he's ready...