PDA

View Full Version : Speech delay or normal learning?

lovin2shop
03-01-2010, 04:22 PM
My 2 year old DS is learning new words daily, but he often only picks up on parts of the words. So for example, shower is "hower", socks is "ocks", etc. Usually it's the first part of the word that he drops off, but sometimes it is the end. Just wondering if this is normal speech progression or indication of a delay? He puts some words together in short sentences, but I can tell that he is sometimes trying to say much more but just can't get it out yet. He is learning both English and Spanish at home, so I think this probably accounts somewhat for the struggle to get words out. But, I've really been noticing the partially formed words lately and wondering if it is an issue.

Our ped wasn't too concerned at his 2 year visit, but I didn't point out this issue specifically. I could almost swear that my firstborn came out speaking in full sentences, so it is hard for me to compare them and not worry just a little!

khalloc
03-01-2010, 04:35 PM
I have a similar experience as you. My firstborn, a girl, could hold a long conversation by 18 months. I could talk to her like an adult almost. But my son, who will be 2 in April has been alot slower learning words. But he is really picking things up. I have noticed that DS is also losing the "S" on the beginning of words. I just noticed that last week when he tried to say "Snow" and it came out more like "Know". His teachers always comment how well he is doing though. I'll probably ask his pediatrician in April at his 2 year check up.

Roni
03-01-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm not a speech person, but here are a couple things that I do know. Children learning two languages tend to be a bit delayed in their production of language. They understand more than they can say. Eventually they catch up, & then they're bilingual, so that's cool.

I don't remember the "s" issue with my kids, but I do remember my younger brothers having trouble with their "s" sounds, especially s-blends. And, as I'm sure you know, there are no initial s-blends in Spanish, so that could cause some interference w/ English (although I guess if he added an "e", as in "e-shower" that would be more consistent).

Also, in response to khalloc, second children in general don't speak as early as their siblings. Again, the understanding is there, but the production isn't. Still, not a bad idea to check with the pediatirician.

As the mother, you may justifiably have a gut feeling that something isn't right. If you continue to have concerns, find out what the special education laws are in your state. In my state (and I don't know if it's everywhere), I believe that once a child is three, a speech problem would be a referred to the public school special education department. If you wanted to check things out on your own, without involving the school system, you might want to get a private evaluation before he turns 3. (I only know this because it was once a topic of discussion at a La Leche meeting, so I am by no means an expert on this.)

mom2binsd
03-01-2010, 07:19 PM
As a SLP I would say it sounds like he's still learning a lot of new words (many kids at 2, including my DS could only say 3 words-how embarrassing!). At that age it is normal to have all kinds of weird sound substitutions, word fragments etc. It's wonderful that he's acquiring so many new words, but their little brains/articulation system can only do so much at that age.

As many know too, variations between siblings is huge, my DD was speaking in clear sentences at 18 months, DS not at all (but now he doesn't shut up all day long it drives us crazy!!).

Hope that helps ease your concerns. I would just let the language come, continue to model correct word articulation but at that age I wouldn't worry about perfect articulation.

Here's a chart that's a general guideline for speech sound development. As an example the "sh" in shower is a much later developing sound and it is often "deleted in the initial position" in young children.

http://www.bisd.us/sharp/English_Developmental_Sound_Chart%5B1%5D.pdf

lovin2shop
03-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Thank you so much for your posts. Although DS2 has been slower to develop his language skills, my gut is that he is on track. I'm a worrier though, so I just want to make sure that I'm not missing any signs. Also, I don't speak spanish much at all, so it is quite confusing at times figuring out what words/sounds he's trying to get out, but that isn't his fault so I'm trying to learn. I really appreciate the feedback, and I feel much better now!

DrSally
03-02-2010, 01:38 PM
IIRC, sometime before 18 mo, DS would only say one syllable of the word and often dropped the first part? I can't remember all the details, but pretty soon he was off saying 2 syllables and it just came together.

newg
03-02-2010, 02:53 PM
My DD is the same way as OP's DS.........at her two-year check last week her ped. said as long as she can understand us and follow simple directions, then she's on track......which she can.
Developmentally she's been like this with everything..........she crawled only when she crawl across the floor......she started walking when she could walk around the entire room.............so I'm guessing she's as "all or nothing" kid and she'll start talking more when she can have lengthy coverstaions with us.