PDA

View Full Version : If you wear a wedding set...

MamaSnoo
03-01-2010, 05:15 PM
I wear an engaement ring with a matching band most days. I have a plain band that I wear alone somedays. My matching wedding band has a gentle curve in it so that it fits up against the engagement ring. Right now, the engagement ring and the matching wedding band are separate, but I always wear them together.

If you a similar set up, have you had the two rings fused? Do you like it? I have heard that it damages the rings if you leave them apart, but I did not if that was right.

pb&j
03-01-2010, 05:29 PM
It depends on the rings. I have three rings that I wear - we eloped, so it's not a wedding set per se, but the rings do go together. When we purchased them, I took them to a jeweler to ask about having them fused, and due to the shape/design of the rings, he recommended against it - it wouldn't prevent any damage, and was simply unnecessary.

Twoboos
03-01-2010, 05:32 PM
I have an engagement ring with wedding ring on bottom and 10 year band above. They spin all over the place and sometimes some are face down. The three rub up against each other and I can see the rings getting worn away (platinum setting). I really think I should have them fused. Thanks for the reminder, I need to talk to a jeweler about this!

salsah
03-01-2010, 06:30 PM
I have an engagement ring with wedding ring on bottom and 10 year band above. They spin all over the place and sometimes some are face down. The three rub up against each other and I can see the rings getting worn away (platinum setting). I really think I should have them fused. Thanks for the reminder, I need to talk to a jeweler about this!

that sounds like a sizing problem. our jeweler emphasized the importance of a perfectly fitting ring to avoid spinning (especially if it has a stone one it because the weight of the stone will pull the ring to one side). you might just need to resize them. however if you get them fused together, the new band width might compensate so it will fit tighter and not spin.

salsah
03-01-2010, 06:31 PM
i almost always wear a plain wedding band and my engagement ring but i wouldn't consider having them fused together because i like the flexibility/option of wearing just the band alone or the band with an anniversary band.

Andi98989
03-01-2010, 11:03 PM
My engagement ring and wedding band are a set that nest together, but they wouldn't stay lined up right until I had them soldered. I actually had it done a couple of weeks before the wedding. I've never regretted having it done. My stones aren't very big, so it's no big deal for me to wear them together all the time. :D

jgenie
03-02-2010, 01:23 AM
i almost always wear a plain wedding band and my engagement ring but i wouldn't consider having them fused together because i like the flexibility/option of wearing just the band alone or the band with an anniversary band.

:yeahthat: I like having the option of not wearing my engagement ring if we're going to be in the city at night or traveling.

kijip
03-02-2010, 01:58 AM
I work in face to face proximity of homeless and very low-income folks. I need to option to wear 1, 2 or 3 of the rings that I have on any given day. Even apart from my work (and the class issues raised by wearing jewelry like that at all at my work), there are plenty of times I prefer not to wear the solitaire. Like gardening. So soldering them together is not something that would work for me.

hillview
03-02-2010, 09:49 AM
When I travel internationally I sometimes leave my engagement ring at home.
/hillary

Neatfreak
03-02-2010, 09:53 AM
My rings are soldered together, and I haven't regretted that decision. It doesn't bother me to not wear a ring at all on occasion, like gardening, traveling sometimes, or even just to the gym.

lowrioh
03-02-2010, 10:12 AM
My rings nest together and I had them fused right after the wedding and I have no regrets. I don't have a very large stone but there is a lot of filigree work so I do worry about it getting damaged when I'm working with my hands.
I have a very plain wide gold band that I wear to work in the lab and when I'm gardening etc.

MamaSnoo
03-02-2010, 10:21 PM
:yeahthat: I like having the option of not wearing my engagement ring if we're going to be in the city at night or traveling.

This is why I asked DH to get me a plain band as well as the the one that matches my set. I always wanted the option to wear a wedding ring without wearing diamonds (sometimes at work, travel, etc).....but I think I'll ask our jeweler about fusing my set. Thanks for the feedback!

I have to say that I NEVER have worn my wedding ring while gardening, and am surprised to hear that so many here do!