PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training - is there a trick to helping them learn to do #2?

cono0507
03-01-2010, 06:33 PM
DD has stayed dry for almost a week now, but refuses to go #2 on the potty. Any strategies that have worked for anyone else with this or did you just wait it out? She's at daycare 2 days a week and I hate to send her in pull ups in case of poop when she has been in underwear and staying dry so well lately. All suggestions welcome! THanks! :)

Roni
03-01-2010, 06:44 PM
That's a tough one. My dd had that problem and ended up really constipated. After that episode we modified her diet and then waited it out.

arivecchi
03-01-2010, 06:49 PM
It took DS1 longer to get comfortable with doing #2 in the potty than #1. I'd just give it a bit more time and reinforce that she needs to go to the potty for #2 as well. One thing that DS likes is taking a book with him to the bathroom while he uses the potty. ;)

belovedgandp
03-01-2010, 07:03 PM
DS1 just took a little bit longer. It just wasn't a comfortable position for him to sit on the toilet since he was used to standing. It took an additional three weeks for #2. He had some on and off success after 10 days, but it took another week and a half to really get it all the time.

mom2binsd
03-01-2010, 07:06 PM
This may sound gross, but DS didn't seem to get where/how the poop came out...so I had him watch his sister poop, yup kind of with a front row view of the "act" and he was amazed...his sister seemed more than willing to help out and next time he went he understood the concept!!!

I know some may think it's bizarre, but I don't think anyone is scarred for life and DS never looked back with respect to potty training!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-01-2010, 07:20 PM
This may sound gross, but DS didn't seem to get where/how the poop came out...so I had him watch his sister poop, yup kind of with a front row view of the "act" and he was amazed...his sister seemed more than willing to help out and next time he went he understood the concept!!!

I know some may think it's bizarre, but I don't think anyone is scarred for life and DS never looked back with respect to potty training!

I had DD watch me.:bag It really is just a when they are ready thing, IMO. It's kinda nice, every time I pee/poop'd in the beginning I get a :bighand: and a "good job mom". She "read" DH "Everyone Poops" while he was using the facilities the other day. it was :ROTFLMAO: I kept potty books in the bathroom, and I think that helped, too.

wendibird22
03-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Having the same issue with DD1 right now. She says she'll go poop on the potty when she gets bigger. I asked if she'd be bigger tomorrow. She said maybe LOL!

I've read/heard that when they poop in their diaper you should take the dipe and the kid to the potty, dump it in the toilet and show them that that's where poop goes. We've only had a chance to do that once w/ DD1 (she's at daycare during the week) and she talked about it a few times afterwards. Not sure that'll it'll make a difference but I'm willing to try it a few more times.

Kyras mom
03-02-2010, 01:05 AM
We resorted to bribery when DD was #1 trained but refused to poop on the potty. She would ask for a diaper to poop in when she had to go. We gave her m&m's after a successful poop on the potty and really whooped it up. It worked well, but then we had to break the m&m for pooping habit. It was a desperate measure, but necessary.