PDA

View Full Version : books about being/coming a big brother

crl
03-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Any suggestions? DS is 6 1/2. We have been matched with an expectant mother who wants us to adopt the baby. She's due April 1 so I had the sudden realization that I might want to buy/check-out some books for DS. (We've read some of the Franklin's about Harriet and some of the Arthurs about a new baby.)

Thanks for any thoughts!
Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
03-01-2010, 08:17 PM
I like the "Baby on The Way" by Dr. Sears. But, it might not be great because it's mostly centered around mom being pg and birth.

Beth

citymama
03-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Catherine, congratulations! That's great news and coming up soon! How exciting for your family.

We have been talking to DD a bunch about becoming a big sister, having a baby at home, etc. She loves it and is excited. But I've found that she rejects/dislikes books about being a big sister - she gets that they are tricks to convince her that being a big sis is fun. I think part of the reason she doesn't like them is that most of the stories deal with jealousy and feeling rejected and how to deal with those emotions - which she doesn't have yet, and neither does your son. In fact, I'm sure he's a lot more emotionally mature than the typical kid for whom those books are written. We just checked a few books out of the public library - glad I didn't bother to buy any of those. Also, the books tend to be heavy on "mommy went to the hospital and had a baby" rather than a more open-ended description of how the new baby or child arrived in the family.

Something like Todd Parr's "Family Book (http://www.amazon.com/Family-Book-Todd-Parr/dp/0316738964)" might be nice to get for your son, since it talks about the diverse ways in which families are made and different kinds of families. I've loved giving that book as a gift to friends who are expanding their families.

goldenpig
03-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Congrats on the upcoming adoption! We have this book, but the big sister version:
I'm a Big Brother by Joanna Cole
http://www.amazon.com/Im-Big-Brother-Joanna-Cole/dp/0061900656/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267490191&sr=1-1

It doesn't mention anything about pregnancy, hospital, etc. It starts with "Someone new is at our house" and then talks about the baby, and how big brother/sister helps, how the baby can't do everything the big kid can, etc. I think it does a good job, especially talking about how the older one is still special to mommy and daddy and that he/she is even more special because he/she's a big brother/sister. My daughter really likes it.

crl
03-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! and the congratulations!

Catherine

Indianamom2
03-01-2010, 10:10 PM
I don't have a good book suggestion, I just wanted to chime in and say "Congratulations" on your new baby! How very cool and exciting for your whole family. :cheerleader1:

gobadgers
03-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Congrats!

We also liked the Joanna Cole book (we had the I'm a Big Sister version).

August Mom
03-01-2010, 10:58 PM
DS was almost 5 when DD was born. One of our favorites was What to Expect When the New Baby Comes Home by Heidi Murkoff. I thought it did a nice job explaining common questions that an older child, especially, might have. I don't think that it discussed pregnancy or going to the hospital, etc., but I can't remember for sure. I will say that I am not a fan of the What to Expect books for pregnancy, but I like the ones for kids.

Tondi G
03-02-2010, 02:09 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Babies-Dont-Eat-Pizza-Brothers/dp/0525474412/ref=pd_sim_b_5