PDA

View Full Version : I need help with naptime, nights and potty training

gobadgers
03-01-2010, 08:28 PM
We've been potty training for about three weeks, and DD is having a hard time just in the past week or so.

She does really, really good with #1 during the day. She goes no problem at home, she will go out in public with minimum issues too. She hasn't had an accident in quite a while. However, she has not had a BM on the potty yet. She has them while she's sleeping usually nighttime (when we put a diaper on her).

I tried to get away from diapers at naptime, but today she had a BM during naptime. It was awful, I felt like a horrible mother!

Does this mean that she's not ready for training? Or should I continue with diapers for naptime and nighttime for now? I hate that it seems like she's holding it in. At best that seems uncomfortable, at worst I think it can cause problems?!

Indianamom2
03-01-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't know for sure, but I think I'd just let her where the diaper/pull-up for nap/nightime for a while more. Heck, I have a 5.5 year old DD who still needs a pull-up for overnight. She just can't stay dry still.

It takes longer for them to get the hang of BM's. It's pretty normal for them to hold it in until they get a pull-up on. I personally would just give her a bit more time. You're not a horrible mother...just one who's trying to figure it all out!

hillview
03-01-2010, 10:10 PM
DS is 4.5 and wears night time diapers. I would wait.
/hillary

JBaxter
03-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Some children sleep really deep and cant control the urge to go. 1 of my older 3 wore pull ups at night for over a year after being fully daytime potty trained ( I think he was 3 1/2ish or so). He gave his naps up at 2 so we didnt usually have the nap issues. My advice is to keep using pull ups/diapers at night/ naps for a while.

gobadgers
03-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks ladies - I think we will do diapers for a while.

We've been using M&Ms for a little positive reinforcement after potty time, so I'm thinking of using that for naptime too (i.e. if her diaper is dry after naptime). I don't know if she can control it yet or not, but I feel like it can't hurt. Can it?

DH wants to move her out of her crib to solve the problem, but I feel like that's not going to help - I can't see her running to the bathroom mid-nap yet. And she's so happy in her crib, has never tried to climb out... I hate to ruin that good thing. Sigh.

bubbaray
03-01-2010, 10:48 PM
My DD#1 is NOT night time PTd yet. Not even close.

DD#2 (close in age to your DD) IS nighttime PT and has been for a while.

Go figure.

I would just use diapers or pullups for a while at naps and night.