PDA

View Full Version : Salespeople Maclaren bashing???

lvhkitty
03-01-2010, 11:01 PM
I've been a fan of the Maclarens as several mothers and many on this board love them. Everyone in the baby stores is pushing the big wheels and better suspension of the Baby Jogger, Bugaboo, etc. Now as a child I sat in a pretty flimsy umbrella stroller and don't have memories of being jostled.

Do I really need the big wheels? I live in the city but the sidewalks are paved pretty well. I'm not off roading much. My daughter doesn't really sleep anywhere all that well anyway.

All the sales people I've met keep stating that the Maclarens are only for travel and that no one is really buying them.

Although we take her for 1-2 mi walks now in the city of Chicago, we are hopefully moving to suburbia.

She's getting too heavy for the baby carrier (Ergo and BabyHawk) and is really tired of the Keyfit/Snap N Go.

HELP! I have to make a decision!

SnuggleBuggles
03-01-2010, 11:14 PM
If I were doing 1-2 mile long walks outside, I would want a better stroller than a Maclaren. I do like my Volo but I do not use it for cases like that. I think ds would want more comfort and I don't love the small wheels on bumpy side walks. They aren't terrible but I think of it more for quick trips or more indoor use.

eta- I don't think you need to go all out with the jogging style stroller. Even something like the Baby Jogger City Mini could be good. I'm happy with my Graco Metrolite, to be honest.

Beth

arivecchi
03-01-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm in Chicago too. I use my Mac for travel and public transportation. It is also our car stroller. We also use it when we go to restaurants/small shops. Most of the time however, we use our all terrain strollers - a Valco Trimode and a Baby Jogger City Classic Double. For neighborhood walks, zoo, park outings, those two are best. Also, you will need an AT for the snow. I actually like the two stroller combo - Mac for car/PT/travel and the AT stroller for the neighborhood walks. HTH.

lvhkitty
03-01-2010, 11:59 PM
That's so helpful!

hillview
03-02-2010, 09:54 AM
I love my mac for travel and urban adventures. I wouldn't be happy with it for long walks in suburbia.

I do like air tires in general.

YMMV.
/hillary

sweetsoul99
03-02-2010, 02:58 PM
I got a mac techno, i found it a good compromise with it's larger wheels and suspension. As long as I"m sticking to paved surfaces it's just fine, and it has the extendable hood for sunny or bad weather. I barrowed my friends triumph and couldn't stand how the little wheels hit every bump in the sidewalk. However you would probably need an AT stroller if you're going to face the snow.

chozen
03-02-2010, 09:25 PM
I got a mac techno, i found it a good compromise with it's larger wheels and suspension. As long as I"m sticking to paved surfaces it's just fine, and it has the extendable hood for sunny or bad weather. I barrowed my friends triumph and couldn't stand how the little wheels hit every bump in the sidewalk. However you would probably need an AT stroller if you're going to face the snow.

i just bought a maclaren xt techno for the same reasons.:)

AnnieW625
03-03-2010, 02:11 PM
My mom has no problems walking with my DD in her Triumph for a mile or two, I have done it too in the past and it's been okay. I can push her around Disneyland during the day and it's been fine too. If I was doing more than that I'd want something like a Techno XT which has a full suspension, and a little bit larger wheels. As much as I love my Triumph if I had to buy another Maclaren I would buy a Techno. We thought about buying a Techno a year ago but then came across an Uppa Baby Vista on Craigslist for a great price and have been happy with that. It can handle 3 mile walks with a toddler with no problem (granted now I am 7 mos. pregnant and it's getting harder, but still doable!).

mecawa
03-03-2010, 04:04 PM
I've used a Mac Triumph for 1-2 mile walks with out issue, but if I were going to do that every day I would probably get something else, maybe a Mac Techno, BJCM, or something with air tires. For shopping and travel I don't think you can beat a Mac but for extensive walking you probably want something with bigger tires.

lvhkitty
03-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm not planning on walking more than 2 mi that's for sure! My nanny walks her less than 2 miles as well. Maybe when we have a larger coat closet (presently only 27 inches wide) we can consider a serious jogging type stroller.

Thanks for the input!

Now just waiting for the Triumph to come out in my favorite color purple - March 10 says the Maclaren store....

AnnieW625
03-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Besides our jogger our Triumph was our only other stroller until we got our Vista a yr. ago when we were first expecting a second baby. The Triumph will be a great stroller for you. As much as we love the Vista and the jogger the Triumph still gets more use than the other two. Oh and I have no idea why Macs get such a bad rap. from people, they are truely great umbrella strollers:)