PDA

View Full Version : recommend a safe air freshener

neeleymartin
03-01-2010, 11:25 PM
is it safe to breath in the smells? may sound crazy, but i wonder. loved glade plugins, but stopped using them b/c i was worried about there safety as far as breathing in the smell. are they safe?

vanilla is my favorite scent.

newg
03-01-2010, 11:28 PM
not sure about saftey....but we use the lysol one that that is suppose to deodorize the nasty smells in a room and it sprays a burst every 30min. we have it up ontop of a bookshelf so it sprays way up high and has time to disperse into the air before hitting us...........

bubbaray
03-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Long ago, we were advised to get rid of all airfreshers due to DD#1's asthma.

I use air sponges now.

HTH

sste
03-01-2010, 11:37 PM
I use a tiny essential oil spritzer from trader joes - - I think its bergamot and something. I just used it for the diaper area. I don't really believe in air freshener. If there is an odor in our house I usually go with cleaning or better ventilation.

newg
03-01-2010, 11:39 PM
I use a tiny essential oil spritzer from trader joes - - I think its bergamot and something. I just used it for the diaper area. I don't really believe in air freshener. If there is an odor in our house I usually go with cleaning or better ventilation.

ahhhhh.....but what about dog farts.....:D

that is seriously the only reason we have the air freshner going..........

sste
03-01-2010, 11:45 PM
I would consider doggie dietary change . . . or ask your vet if you can give beano. Or spritz his tush with the TJ's stuff!

It is probably unreasonable but I am freaked out by air freshener.

BabyMine
03-01-2010, 11:51 PM
We use these. I wouldn't use any becasue of the chemical and they all gave me headaches or made me sneeze. These don't

http://www.methodhome.com/products-air-care.aspx

kristenk
03-01-2010, 11:56 PM
I use air sponges now.

What's an air sponge? I've never heard of that. Does it work?

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Most have formaldehyde
Here is a link to the EPA on them... They have been linked to everything from asthma to cancer. (http://www.epa.gov/kidshometour/products/airf.htm)

We use this (http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-6321-mia-rose-air-therapy-original-orange-46-oz)

ETA They have vanilla. (http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-12601-mia-rose-air-therapy-vibrant-vanilla-46-oz?redirect=1) And it is USDA approved for use around food.I know I wouldn't want formaldehyde around my food!

jillc
03-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Maybe this is not what you're looking for, but...

I really try to avoid using chemicals, so when I feel like the house needs to be rid of cooking smells, etc., here are my go-to tricks:

1. Open a couple windows, if temperature permits.

2. Simmer a pot of water with a cinnamon stick and a couple cloves in it on the stove for an hour or so. House smells like baking. :)

3. Walk around the house spraying peppermint oil infused vinegar into the air. House will smell a bit like vinegar (but better than last night's brocolli smell!).

4. Walk around the house spraying lavendar oil infused distilled water into the air.

bubbaray
03-02-2010, 01:07 AM
That is NOT an airsponge.

THIS is an air sponge: http://airsponge.net/
Is the Air Sponge toxic?
Nature's Air Sponge is non-toxic, biodegradable and 100% environmentally safe!

They are recommened by the asthma association here. VERY safe. LOVE them.

I highly recommend them for use in cars, BTW.

neeleymartin
03-02-2010, 01:17 AM
That is NOT an airsponge.

THIS is an air sponge: http://airsponge.net/
Is the Air Sponge toxic?
Nature's Air Sponge is non-toxic, biodegradable and 100% environmentally safe!

They are recommened by the asthma association here. VERY safe. LOVE them.

I highly recommend them for use in cars, BTW.

i think that belle was making a point as why to not use traditional air fresheners. not sure, but i thought the same thing you did at first, even though your post wasn't quoted.

the air sponge seems safe. do you just leave the open container on the counter? not sure how you use it.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-02-2010, 01:25 AM
i think that belle was making a point as why to not use traditional air fresheners. not sure, but i thought the same thing you did at first, even though your post wasn't quoted.

the air sponge seems safe. do you just leave the open container on the counter? not sure how you use it.

:yeahthat:
Hit the nail on the head. I have no idea what an air sponge is,and didn't even see that post. I was addressing you, the OP, on your original question about the safety of air fresheners. The link to the EPA is just a generic one for air fresheners. We have used the orange spray for years for potty odors, diaper pails, etc. and love it. I love citrus and the fact that it is okay to use around food (which I still wouldn't do) makes me feel better. And it lasts for like 1,000 sprays.

JTsMom
03-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Maybe this is not what you're looking for, but...

I really try to avoid using chemicals, so when I feel like the house needs to be rid of cooking smells, etc., here are my go-to tricks:

1. Open a couple windows, if temperature permits.

2. Simmer a pot of water with a cinnamon stick and a couple cloves in it on the stove for an hour or so. House smells like baking. :)

3. Walk around the house spraying peppermint oil infused vinegar into the air. House will smell a bit like vinegar (but better than last night's brocolli smell!).

4. Walk around the house spraying lavendar oil infused distilled water into the air.:yeahthat: This is basically what I do. I'll also put a few drops of peppermint essential oil on a piece of paper towel if there is a really strong smell I'm trying to hide. Air fresheners give me a pounding headache, and make me feel ill. I'm really sensitive to whatever is in them.

Melaine
03-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Thanks for all these suggestions. I've also stopped using air fresheners, just with the general assumption they aren't the best option....I read that vinegar works, so I sometimes pour it into a saucer and leave it on the counter. It does seem to help. I need to try some of the other suggestions.

Melaine
03-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Guys, where do you get essential oils? Are they all the same? Sorry to hijack...

neeleymartin
03-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Guys, where do you get essential oils? Are they all the same? Sorry to hijack...

sometimes i forget about a post...sorry i didn't check back sooner.

for eo, i go to the health food store. i buy the aura cacia brand. there are two types by this company. one is more expensive, by about $1 or so, it's more for making perfumes, massage, any application where you will put it on your skin. the other is cheaper and for making cleaning products and other scented things that won't be on your skin for extended periods. still pretty sure you would be safe either way.

i would love to find a diffuser for eo. anyone know about a product that does that? i'm off to google. it's never ending. what DID i do before the www?!?!

ewpmsw
03-14-2010, 09:22 PM

I'm allergic to a lot of scented things and oversensitive to a lot of others, so we usually go with cleaning and better ventillation, too. For things like smelly trashcans, diaper pail, rabbit cage, litter pan, we use vinegar and rinse with hot water. Also use baking soda in the fridge and kitchen garbage can to keep odors at bay.

I do worry that artificially scented things may not be good to be exposed to for long periods of time, but that's my own particular Mom Paranoia. I should probably focus on the dangers of plastic food containers or something else more threatening, but smells really bug me, so they win.