PDA

View Full Version : Sort of s/o from the syrup thread: Foods that take you back to childhood

kijip
03-02-2010, 01:51 AM
Some comments on the syrup got me thinking about the foods that we grow accustomed to as children or come to serve as a memory aid in later years for recalling childhood. What are some of your favorite or even un-favorite but memorable foods from growing up?

The foods that call up vivid memories for me:

-Peanut butter cookies (triply so for ones made from government commodity butter and peanut butter) My mom made these a lot, because it was one the regular treats she could afford/one of the few things she could do with all the peanut butter and butter or shortening we got. I used to want to pack oreos for snacks when I was a kid but now, I would kill for a peanut butter cookie like she used to make, flattened with a fork criss cross.

-Beef Stroganoff made with condensed mushroom soup.

-Country Crock margarine, which I loved as a child.

-Crockpots of spaghetti sauce that we ate from day after day.

-Pancakes make with bran and wheat germ- my dad's speciality.

-Grits.

-Perfectly prepared pies that my dad made.

ellies mom
03-02-2010, 02:14 AM
For me, it is crepes with maple syrup (yes,the real stuff) and butter. My dad makes them for me whenever we are together. Mine never come out right so that makes it extra special.

I guess another would be cucumber slices in vineger. It was a summer staple.

And on the not good childhood memories. Goulash (sp?). My dad made it at least two times a week for most of my childhood. I'm over it. I don't even like spagetti now because of it.

blisstwins
03-02-2010, 02:38 AM
Bosco syrup to make chocolate milk and shrimp cocktails in what we would later use as juice glasses. Those were a major splurge b/c I grew up without much money.
I also miss Danon lemon yogurt in the paper cups.