PDA

View Full Version : I'coo Pacific stroller

clrodri
03-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi,

Has somebody seen and tried the new I'coo Pacific?? It has a sale price of $469 including car seat adaptor. Is that a good deal?

Thanks,

Claudia

PGTB
03-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Icoo Pacific is the new model which is very very similar to Icoo Targo. I think maybe a bit later in March vendors would start carrying it. Your best bet to see the frame IRL now is to try to find a vendor that has Icoo Targo floor model. The frame of Icoo Pacific is supposed to be the same as the Icoo Targo, so you can play around with it and see what it feels and how it folds. The seat on Pacific is different than Targo, otherwise from what I read about it, it should be the same.

It sounds like a good deal for a full size stroller with suspension, with the bassinet and a universal car seat adapter (most strollers would require you to purchase a separate adapter). There isn't a separate bassinet though, the stroller seat converts to it, so it's essentially one piece. I am very curious to look at it myself. I didn't like the fold on the Targo when I saw it IRL, so I am a bit disappointed to find out that the frame is the same. I also didn't like Targo's bulky bassinet, this one should be a more lightweight seat, which is good.

I love that it has a great feature that allows you to change the height of the seat , Targo has the same feature, so you can try it out at the store before Pacific model is available.

PGTB
03-11-2010, 06:11 PM
So, here is the update. It's going to be long since I'm really interested in this stroller now that I got to see it in person!

It seems more lightweight than the older model I'coo Targo, more streamlined and from comparing with the Chameleon, I think it's lighter than that too. I think apart from Frog it's the most lightweight full size stroller out there. I was also pleasantly surprised how easy it was to fold it, I've mastered it right away and was able to fold it effortlessly even while heavily pregnant. I was also able to remove the seat and attach it back. Seemed like the connections weren't stiff even though the stroller was brand new out of the box. It's definitely more intuitive fold than Bugaboo IMO and it folds in one peace with seat facing forward. However, I must say the fold isn't the most compact but not the bulkiest comparing with other large strollers. With wheels removed it would be easy to store in a closet I think and put into small trunks. I found the frame so lightweight that it wouldn't be hard to lift at all into a car trunk, but wouldn't say it would take little space in the trunk with wheels attached depending on what car you have.. There is a latch that would lock the folded frame to make it easier to lift and put it against the wall. The fold is the same as the Targo model, so you can see it in the Targo demo video if you go to youtube and search for Icoo Targo fold.

The only difference between Targo and Pacific is the seat. Pacific seat is lighter and simpler and it converts into bassinet supposedly easier. I haven't tried converting it myself. The bassinet on pacific is much shallower and looks more streamlined. But it's not as nice in quality as other strollers dedicated bassinets. It's lined with the same fabric as the seat and you might want to put some better mattress there but not too thick because the bassinet is shallow. The canopy is larger on pacific than on Targo, but it's simple without any windows or air vents. I felt that it might be too hot of a canopy on a humid sunny day. It seems like canopy is padded, so definitely not a breezy type.

The storage basket is not very deep or particularly large, but it's easily accessible because the seat can be raised, so you can put a large bag there just because there is plenty of space between the seat and the bottom of the basket. I think it's a very functional simple basket, even though it's not as huge as Vista's or as fancy as Bugaboo or others.

The fabric on it is different than Targo, I suppose that's it's a cheaper fabric (like nylon) because it stunk so bad of chemicals when I looked at the stroller and made my hands itch. It should be ok after you let it air out (the one I looked at was unpacked that same day), but I can definitely tell that they probably cut costs on the fabric. Overall, I think, it's a great stroller and a very very good value for your money. It's the same frame and ride as Targo, same dimensions as Bugaboo (not bulkier), same footprint on a sidewalk. It's very similar to Bugaboo, except it's almost half price, especially figuring the cost of the universal car seat adapter and foot muff which come included into Pacific price tag.

I am very excited about this stroller and it's my front runner up for the full size stroller together with Vista (peg perego Skate is the 3rd). Even though it doesn't stand upright when folded like Vista, it feels lighter and I think would be easier to occasionally take on a subway during some weekends. Basically, it's a streamlined, no thrills, simpler to use version of Bugaboo IMO.

Here is my list of Pros and Cons in light of some comparison with the other models like Vista or Bugaboo.

Pros:
- lightweight for a full feature stroller. Listed at 23 lb with seat and canopy. I felt it was lighter than Chameleon, probably more like Frog.
- Great price for all the features you get! It's at least $200 less than Vista (considering you don't need to buy a car seat adapter and a foot muff). So, it frees your budget up for an additional travel stroller :)
- bassinet and seat are one piece - no extra storage required for additional frame or fabric.
- two seat height positions (convenient for keeping your child closer to your eye level whether walking or sitting down on a low bench)
- easily adjustable handle
- easily accessible basket no matter seat configuration, probably the easiest of all strollers I've tried.
- folds effortlessly, mechanism is not stiff even when brand new, intuitive, folds in one piece. Locks when folded, so can be leaned against something.
- rides well, seems to have good suspension. Great turning radius and maneuverability. I cannot comment on it too much as I've never tried any stroller outside, so I am not an expert.
- foam filled wheels, no need to pump air.
- same footprint as Bugaboo if you are concerned about how large it would feel on a sidewalk. A bit smaller footprint than Vista or Skate which is a plus, the seat on Pacific goes up without making the frame taller - bigger looking.
- includes universal car seat adapter, so no need to buy a different one or worrying about restricted choices of car seats, also includes rain shield.
- Bumper bar is covered with fabric, which can be removed and washed unlike most other strollers with nasty foam bumper bars. I heard kids chew on them..
- Comes with the nice matching foot muff with padding that should keep your kid pretty toasty during winter - another expense you don't need to account for. Unlike Vista or Bug it actually zips into the frame.
- Overall great design, intuitive features for everything - from fold, to handle or seat adjustment, haven't mastered bassinet to seat conversion yet.

Cons:
- Nylon, cheaper type fabric stinks when out of the box, probably laden with chemicals and needs to be well aired out before use.
- seat base fabric cannot be washed completely because the cardboard parts are sewn in. Canopy I believe can be completely removed and washed. Other parts, partially washed, but more spot treated… Not sure about it and not sure how important that feature is for everyone.
- Bassinet would probably need to be lined with some cotton sheet and may need some nicer mattress. No worries about the same thing when going with Vista which has a luxurious organic bassinet ready to be used.
- Bassinet is on a shallower side, but it's long.
- Bassinet seems to be a bit wobbly, it's firmly attached, but you can actually gently rock it a bit up and down. Nice feature if you are trying to soothe the baby - but may not be so nice when navigating rough streets if it keeps wobbling up and down. I doubt it will, but that is one little concern I had.
- Canopy seems to be padded, so can be stuffy probably in hot weather… there are no air vents or windows in the canopy. But it can be raised to let some air very easily or removed.
- The seat only has 3 positions, I don't think their upright position is as upright as the Chameleon or the new 2010 Vista…
- The seat seems a bit shallow.
- Have to bend down when folding the stroller, doesn't stand upright when folded like Vista.
- Basket could be deeper, definitely nothing beats Vista in that respect.
- No bug shield like Vista provides. Not sure yet what accessories would be compatible with it.
- When I tried the wheels, I didn't see any suspension mechanism, but the frame felt like it had suspension. Perhaps it's not on wheels but sort of built into the frame? Not sure how reliable that would be and again, not sure if the ride would be as smooth as Bugaboo.
- Not sure if the non-telescopic handle would last longer when lifting onto sidewalks all the time.

Overall, I am trying to decide between this stroller and the Vista (PP Skate is the 3rd contender, but more likely to be crossed off). Trying to see if having nicer fabric and luxurious ready to go and sturdier bassinet and huge basket is worth paying 200 extra… also, not sure if the seat fully upright position of Pacific model would be upright enough for my kid.

GL with your choice!

eggnova
03-12-2010, 02:12 PM
PGTB - I just replied to your other post about the Targo (I think it was yours at least!) and I wanted to metion two add'l items here that you reference - 1) the bassinet can be rocked - Yes, that's right. If you think about the old fashioned prams they are very bouncy. I think it's soothing to the baby to have that gentle rock, and I've definitely "rocked" the bassinet of my Targo when we were standing still to soothe the baby. I can't say for sure that it's an intentional feature, and it might make for a less than smooth ride, but I think it's neutral, not a negative. Also - in terms of a bug cover - I got a $5 "Baby First" (or whatever that store brand is) mesh cover at BRU that works great. In fact, we leave it covered with either the rain cover or the bug cover at all times, to keep our cats from making themselves comfortable in it!

PGTB
03-12-2010, 04:03 PM
PGTB - I just replied to your other post about the Targo (I think it was yours at least!) and I wanted to metion two add'l items here that you reference - 1) the bassinet can be rocked - Yes, that's right. If you think about the old fashioned prams they are very bouncy. I think it's soothing to the baby to have that gentle rock, and I've definitely "rocked" the bassinet of my Targo when we were standing still to soothe the baby. I can't say for sure that it's an intentional feature, and it might make for a less than smooth ride, but I think it's neutral, not a negative. Also - in terms of a bug cover - I got a $5 "Baby First" (or whatever that store brand is) mesh cover at BRU that works great. In fact, we leave it covered with either the rain cover or the bug cover at all times, to keep our cats from making themselves comfortable in it!

Thanks so much! I did read your other post, it's very helpful :D

I actually kind of like the 'rocking feature' , it would be nice to be able to rock the baby a little in his bassinet when sitting at the park. I didn't feel like it actually rocks whole a lot when the stroller is pushed around, I guess I was more concerned with rough motions when going over sidewalks with having my baby's head bounce around too much. I might be just over-thinking it.. I doubt there is a stroller out there where the bassinet would be totally motionless when walking around different outside obstacles. it seems like Icoo has a bouncy feel to it similar to Bugaboo, I was just having trouble identifying where the shock absorbers are on the wheels (they are visible in Bugaboo front wheels and on the Bee model), they are also visible on Vista and Peg Perego. I was suspecting the shock absorber suspension system is sort of built into the frame itself like on some bikes...

zane
04-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Just got the I'Coo Pacific stroller, I did alot of research and went for this stroller. But now that I have it home, i am not 100 % happy. It seems really unstable. the bassinet seat is not that deep and doesn't seem to stay horizontal. It tilts so the baby's head is going down a hill. So, I now have to use the car seat adaptor, whcih defeats the point of buying a stroller w/a bassinet seat. I had little the fact that you can raise the seat height, but when the seat height is in the up position is when the seat seems really unstable so you have to keep it locked and the low position anyway. Although the canpoy is large it still let's in the sun w/the bassinet. Unlike the Uppababy which has a great canopy and extended sun shade. It just seems the stroller is really wobbely and for the price i would have rather spent a little more and gotten the Uppababy Vista. the Vista seems to out preform the pacific on all points. Also if you are 5'4" or taller do not get the Pacific. the handlebar does not extend and there is a bar connecting the rear wheels that is low and your foot would hit the bar. The Uppababy placed the bar higher so you have alot of foot clearence during your stride when walking. The understorage space w/the pacific is very small. I still need to check out cleaning the fabric but I know the UppaBaby bassinet fabric can be removed and cleaned. So, I would recommend the UppaBaby instead of the Pacific!!

cathy
04-14-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm really happy with the pacific, i think it's a pretty great stroller all around for the price tag. I purchased the stone color which looks great, very modern and I too, love the rocking feature. At first I thought the bassinet was tilting downward but my husband pointed out that I hadn't adjusted it properly so now it's fine. The best thing about this stroller is that it's simple to use, I never once looked at the instructions. Even switching it from the bassinet to the seat is no problem, and takes only seconds. I'm glad I saved a few hundred bucks by going for this over the uppa baby, I'm very pleased with it.

PGTB
04-15-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm really happy with the pacific, i think it's a pretty great stroller all around for the price tag. I purchased the stone color which looks great, very modern and I too, love the rocking feature. At first I thought the bassinet was tilting downward but my husband pointed out that I hadn't adjusted it properly so now it's fine. The best thing about this stroller is that it's simple to use, I never once looked at the instructions. Even switching it from the bassinet to the seat is no problem, and takes only seconds. I'm glad I saved a few hundred bucks by going for this over the uppa baby, I'm very pleased with it.

Thank you for your review, Cathy! It's nice to know you like it. I have it too, but haven't tried it outside yet, my baby isn't due until 2-3 weeks. You mentioned that you have adjusted the bassinet to prevent it from tilting downward, what did you do exactly? I haven't noticed that mine is tilting downwards, but I've never used it with the baby yet, so perhaps it's only noticeable when you put the baby in it. Did you raise the back part a little to compensate for this?

Have you used it outside with the baby? How is the ride? Does the bassinet wobble when going over the sidewalks or rougher terrain? I found it rock gently when I got over our rough threshold at home which I would think is better than a bumpy jerky movement.