PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything you do that is against BBB "norms"/unusual for a BBB parent?

arivecchi
03-02-2010, 01:39 PM
I think I am so not a BBBer when it comes to food. I don't shop organic, I don't go to TJs, I don't shop at 5 different grocery stores.

I cannot bring myself to love HA as much as people here do. Just can't.

I am not afraid that FB will suck up my life and pics of my DC. :hysterical:

I love the Baby Bjorn (for the first 4-5 months).

I am sure I will think of more.

kijip
03-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I don't worry about blankets and bumpers in cribs. I don't even understand why I or anyone ever carried a diaper bag.

Oh, and I personally think I should get dressed, in non-workout gear, to leave the house for non-workout reasons. :rotflmao:

khalloc
03-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I agree with just about everything the OP posted :)

I did buy DD 1 HA dress though, I liked it.

I also used bumpers and blankets in the crib.

NEVER use a diaper bag.

egoldber
03-02-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't really think there is a BBB norm/standard. The wide spectrum of people here is the thing that always keeps me coming back. :)

SnuggleBuggles
03-02-2010, 01:50 PM
We have loads of plastic toys.

I do not mind noisy toys.

I don't shop at Gymboree, have never used a "gym buck" or whatever they are called, I own nothing from HA or Boden or many of the other stores listed. The bulk of my kids' wardrobes come from TCP, Gap and H&M. Though, if I had a few kids close in age I could see spending more on the higher end brands if I loved the outfit since it'd get good rewear. As it is, with a 5.5 y gap I have found my tastes and/ or styles have changed so I don't get to reuse all the outfits.

Beth

Indianamom2
03-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Ummm...pretty much everything!

I shop at Walmart/Target/Meijer for groceries.

I don't love (or even like) Hanna Andersson.

I love my Graco Quattro Tour hulking travel system.

I use a bumper and blankets.

I don't shop online very much.

I feed solids when my pedi recommends...not just for practice (though not in place of BF'ing either). I'm not at all afraid of formula. I will not breastfeed beyond a year (totally my choice).

I'm not at all "green".

I'm sure there are more...

LarsMal
03-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Stealing from a few others:

- We have plenty of plastic and noisy toys.

- I have never bought anything from HA or Boden. I only buy Gymboree stuff when it's on super sale. I buy most kid clothing at Kohl's, Target, ON, and TCP.

- I have always used a crib bumper.

- I let my older 2 sleep with blankets around 8 or 9 months. The baby has been sleeping with her lovey since she was 4 months.

- As long as they are 20 pounds, I FF my kids at one year.

(There are definitely some "norms" I follow, but I guess that's for another thread!)

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-02-2010, 01:58 PM
I think I am so not a BBBer when it comes to food. I don't shop organic, I don't go to TJs, I don't shop at 5 different grocery stores.

I love the Baby Bjorn (for the first 4-5 months).

I am sure I will think of more.

I DO eat organic, but I am also a vegetarian so I eat tons of produce.

I like the Bjorn the first month or 2, but my boobs are so big (nursing I am an H/I) hat after that the twins are smooshed.

I use FB.

I DO NOT like HA, never have. I actually started a thread on it a while back.

sewarsh
03-02-2010, 02:03 PM
I DO NOT like HA, never have. I actually started a thread on it a while back.

i didn't see your thread on this, but i'm the same. i mean, they're cute, but totally overpriced. i didn't even like the costco cheap dress for only $14 enough to buy them!

BabyMine
03-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Some of all above plus.

- If it is storming and cold outside I will leave TT in the car to run in and get M. It only takes 7 minutes. I know that the rules are to protect children but I think there are some instances that are fine.

- I let my kids watch way too much TV and have even let them sit and watch TV while they eat.

- I am really really easy going and really don't have problems with what most people would.

- I do mind my sister coying my pics from FB and putting them on her wall. I don't know why this bothers me and I will probably let her later on but for right now I have a problem.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Crib bumper user, too. Until DD started climbing out....

DD has Gymbo, all from re-sale or hand me downs. i have never spent a $ there.

I fed solids at 4 months.

I am a pretty hippie mom. Vegetarian, paraben-free, cloth diapers, mostly wood toys, etc.

For my DD wood toys are better, she is a "Spirited" gal, and too much noise, etc. over stimulates her, so when she play with plastic, noisy toys with lights, she gets freaked out. Like she doesn't know what to concentrate on.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-02-2010, 02:14 PM
i didn't see your thread on this, but i'm the same. i mean, they're cute, but totally overpriced. i didn't even like the costco cheap dress for only $14 enough to buy them!

It's too cutsey for my taste. I like more edgy and Asian print stuff. She wears VERY little pink. She does hear a lot of polka dots, very little floral stuff. I would get the HA panties, they are supposed to be really well made and last. That's it though.

arivecchi
03-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Oh yes, forgot about the TV viewing. I won't even admit here how much TV my DC watch. :bag

I also let my DC eat more cookies than I would care to admit here. :bag:bag

citymama
03-02-2010, 02:19 PM
This is cracking me up - I so don't think of BBB as a crunchy, organic-loving, TV-hating place! I think of it as my reality check when everyone around me is so much "holier than thou" on just about every parenting indicator. That's funny. This is where I read about deals at Target and Borders, and for Pampers GTG codes, whereas most people around me (and you know where I live) would never dream of shopping at chain stores or using disposable dipes. Actually, I think there is a real diversity of parenting styles and approaches here, which is what I like - I'm crunchy in many ways but also mainstream in many ways, and I like that there isn't a mold everyone fits into here.

sariana
03-02-2010, 02:26 PM
- I let my kids watch way too much TV and have even let them sit and watch TV while they eat.

:yeahthat: DH is away, and I need them to be focused on something other than me 24/7.

I also don't see what the big deal is about HA (saw the dresses at Costco--wasn't impressed).

I use sposies.

I don't like to cook and feed my kids lots of canned beans and frozen veggies (love the steamable ones!).

I buy my kids' (and my) shoes at Target.

We vax on schedule and don't worry about it (though I don't think delayed vaxing is necessarily the "norm" here, just something that comes up).

On the flip side, because of this board DD is still rear facing at 25 months. DS remained harnessed until yesterday, when he started booster training at 5 years, 7 months.

JTsMom
03-02-2010, 02:28 PM
I agree w/citymama. I'll bet a lot of people would be surprised if we did a poll for these. I think it's more a case of those of us with big mouths (cough, me), tend to post a lot, and sometimes it seems as though something like buying organic is the BBB norm, when in reality, the majority don't. I think things here are a nice balance overall.

-We don't own anything Boden- I'm too cheap for that. The only HA we own is 6 pairs of underwear, and I bought those I bought off of ebay.

-I couldn't care less about what type of diaper bag I have.

-I own 1 stroller, and I'm re-using it for this baby. I don't feel deprived.

-There are days when DS watches a shocking amount of TV.

-He also has a terrible sweet tooth, and it doesn't really bother me that he does. On Halloween and Christmas, I let him have as much candy as he wants, even if it's an insane amount.

ETA: And we have a ton of plastic toys. DS typically prefers them, with the exception of Thomas stuff. He also has character stuff.

mom2binsd
03-02-2010, 02:29 PM
I could almost have written OP's post-I do think that my parenting is more in line with the norm here than say over at car-seat.org.

My IL's have helped contribute to the high number of treats my kids get, lots of sugar cereals, etc and we eat at McD's so much we have our own drive thru lane....

Yup DC's watch TV, mostly DD but they are now more into computer stuff, educational and fun games (DS is obsessed with hockey on youtube), and I watch a lot of TV, esp late at night.

I have no idea what the heck a play silk or learning tower is.

Have one piece of Hanna, a plain green sweatshirt bought used. Boden bought used.

I try to be green use reusable shopping bags, recycle etc but I'm not ready to use cloth feminine products.

GASP I wash my DC's with J&J soap, or SUAVE....we go through this stuff by the gallon and I"m not spending 12.00 on some little bottle of baby soap. I love my GAIN Mango Tango detergent, fabric softener and dryer sheets!

I've tried to get rid of some HFCS in our diet...my kids eat so much fresh fruit, veggies, fish, whole wheat bread (no HFCS) that I figure the good will balance out the bad.

On the other hand, there are some typical BBB things I take to heart- my stand on car seat safety (extended rearfacing/harnessing)

schums
03-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Yeah, lots of stuff here:

- No issue with plastic toys, water bottles, food containers. I try not to heat food in them, but that's about it.
- Both DC FF at 1 year. Exactly. If I had an infant/baby now, I might do differently. Might.
- DS is circ'ed. Again, if I had another baby boy now, I might do differently. Might.
- No organic. I shop at Meijers, and that's about it. Been in TJs maybe 5 times, ever.
- Both DC were 100% formula fed.
- Never, EVER considered cloth diapering.
- DC eat dessert almost every.single.night. And no, dessert is NOT fruit or low sugar anything. Cookies, cake, ice cream.
- Soda is OK in moderation.
- We eat peanut butter. A LOT of peanut butter. DC take peanut butter to school for lunch (but not snack as there are PB allergic kids in both classes).
- Political differences with lots (most?) posters, but I'm not getting into that here! :duck:

There's probably a lot more, but that's all I'm coming up with now.

lchang25000
03-02-2010, 02:30 PM

:yeahthat::ROTFLMAO:
DH and I enjoy posting pics/videos of DS on FB. Most of our friends can only see DS that way and we enjoy looking at our friends' kids pics/videos as well.

Arivecchi...I meant to ask you before, how are the HA mocs working out for your kids?

newg
03-02-2010, 02:30 PM
I only knew about HA and Boden after being on here for a while.....the first HA dress I bought was at costco for $14 and I think it will be saved for special days..........DD's closet is filled with target, carter's, and Gap on sale.

DD drinks organic milk and fruit/veggies (when I can find them for a good price).....but mostly not organic.
I have a chicco stroller
I use pampers for DD and will do that again with next one
DD watches more tv than she should/or I would like (but being prego is my excuse for that one)
I rarely shop on Amazon and try to only order online when I can get free shipping on returns or return to a store.
I shop at walmart and target and only go to whole foods for a few products
Plastic toys cover our floor....and DD loves the ones that light up and make noise the most
My diaper bag is vera bradley, but it was a gift.

I'm sure I'll think of more later, but I need a nap.

lchang25000
03-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I have no idea what the heck a play silk or learning tower is.

:yeahthat: and many others that people have posted.

arivecchi
03-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Arivecchi...I meant to ask you before, how are the HA mocs working out for your kids? Returned them. DH looked at me like I was insane when I showed them to him and DS1 only likes to wear sneakers. That was the one HA item I was excited about!

american_mama
03-02-2010, 02:35 PM
eta: I am fine-tuning my original post.

I have read only the original poster - many of which I agree with - but I just wanted to suggest something. It is so easy to doubt ourselves as parents, which is only enhanced when we think one group of people - BBB, our colleagues, our neighbors, our family - all do ONE thing which we do not. If it doesn't lead to doubt, then sometimes it leads to comeptitiveness, defensiveness, or in group-out group dynamics.

The BBB is a big group of people. Parenting "credentials" aside, some things that come up frequently on the BBB that are not me are sexual/emotional abuse survivors, devoutly religious moms, parents who have been through the roller coaster of infertility, parents whose kids are autistic/highly allergic/ or have special medical issues, and moms who have struggled with depression. Much of my knowledge of what it's like to live with those issues comes from the BBB even though I don't fit in those categories.

On the more minor topics, I ave never been on the Hanna website or in a Hanna store, I don't brag about where I grocery shop, yet I do (probably to the irritation of some) reply to just about every cloth diaper and natural birth thread on here.

I'm a mix of things, and I am as "BBB" as anyone. And so is everyone reading this.

arivecchi
03-02-2010, 02:36 PM
I could almost have written OP's post-I do think that my parenting is more in line with the norm here than say over at car-seat.org.

On the other hand, there are some typical BBB things I take to heart- my stand on car seat safety (extended rearfacing/harnessing):yeahthat::yeahthat: I also feel kind of strange in that board. I am sooooo grateful for all the car seat safety information I have learned here. :thanks: Unfortunately for DS2, that means he will be RFing until he is 5. :rotflmao:

Momof3Labs
03-02-2010, 02:38 PM
This is cracking me up - I so don't think of BBB as a crunchy, organic-loving, TV-hating place! I think of it as my reality check when everyone around me is so much "holier than thou" on just about every parenting indicator. That's funny. This is where I read about deals at Target and Borders, and for Pampers GTG codes, whereas most people around me (and you know where I live) would never dream of shopping at chain stores or using disposable dipes. Actually, I think there is a real diversity of parenting styles and approaches here, which is what I like - I'm crunchy in many ways but also mainstream in many ways, and I like that there isn't a mold everyone fits into here.

:yeahthat:

I'm laughing, too. For example, so many have listed "use disposables" as against the BBB norm. I think it just goes to show how easy - but flawed - it is to stereotype a group based on the choices of a small (but perhaps vocal) percentage of the group.

Anyone want to make a bet? I'd bet that disposables ARE the BBB norm and cloth is the exception. Do I feel another poll coming on??

JTsMom
03-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Yup, I'll second that. Go for it Lori. I'm guessing 7% tops use cloth. I used disposables with DS1, but am going to try to do cloth this time. And I certainly appreciated your posts on that subject, american_mama! :)

citymama
03-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Anyone want to make a bet? I'd bet that disposables ARE the BBB norm and cloth is the exception. Do I feel another poll coming on??

I think you're right!

Cam&Clay
03-02-2010, 02:46 PM
I use disposable diapers.

I hated every second of BF and quit at week 1 and week 4.

I used formula, Target brand even, and introduced solids fairly early.

My kids watch TV and have plastic toys.

Some of their food has HFCS in it. Not as much as it used to, but I haven't eliminated it all.

DS2 is forward facing.

We vaxed on time for both boys.

So, yes, there are many times that I feel I don't fit in--which is why I have been a member for so long but haven't posted much!

Momof3Labs
03-02-2010, 02:49 PM
And I certainly appreciated your posts on that subject, american_mama! :)

I second that!! Even though not one inch of cloth has touched the girly butts, I still enjoy reading about it (and hope to resume cloth diapering soon, as they move into mediums).

stillplayswithbarbies
03-02-2010, 02:51 PM
I think that "the BBB norm" has changed over the years.

Today, I would say that using cloth diapers, extended breastfeeding, and not using CIO and not spanking are against the current BBB norm, but back when I first joined in early 2003, those things were the norm here. This board has swung more towards the mainstream, which is understandable as the membership increased.

I remember a heated discussion back then over someone who put their baby down to sleep on their tummy. Today, that wouldn't even generate a batted eyelash. Back then, CIO was pretty much vilified and today there are threads telling how to do it with no dissent posted at all.

TwinFoxes
03-02-2010, 02:52 PM

You mean because it's ugly? :icon_twisted: Er, I mean NMS? (although I did by DD's Christmas dresses there, those and their solid footless tights are the only things I think are cute.)

Dude, I have my phone number on Facebook. My profile pic has been one or both of the girls since I brought them home from the hospital.

I do agree that there's no real BBB "norm", but I realize this topic was all in fun. :)

arivecchi
03-02-2010, 02:53 PM
I do agree that there's no real BBB "norm", but I realize this topic was all in fun. :):yeahthat: THANK YOU.

elektra
03-02-2010, 02:55 PM
We watch way more tv and eat way more McDonalds than the "average" BBB'er I think.

lchang25000
03-02-2010, 02:56 PM

I agree with you. Never thought about using cloth...too much work!!!! Sposies all the way baby!!! :rotflmao:

egoldber
Oh I know it was all in fun, but I also know that people's feelings get (unintentionally) hurt with threads like this too. I think that there is a definite tendency for certain topics to get discussed a lot or at length, making it seem like they are the "norm", when really there is no norm. :)

arivecchi
You mean because it's ugly? :icon_twisted: Er, I mean NMS? :hysterical: I actually like some HA stuff, but in general, don't get excited about it. Too cutesy for my taste and I have boys.

My profile pic has been one or both of the girls since I brought them home from the hospital. Ditto.

mecawa
03-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Oh yes, forgot about the TV viewing. I won't even admit here how much TV my DC watch. :bag

I also let my DC eat more cookies than I would care to admit here. :bag:bag

DD1 has way more screen time (btwn the computer, leapster, and tv) than what is recommended and has the worst eating habits of any kid I know!!!

lchang25000
03-02-2010, 02:59 PM

I LOVE baby Hannas! The boys clothing are definitely nowhere near as appealing. DS prob. won't much HA clothing after he grows out of the baby ones. I like the style of MiniBoden much better for boys.

lchang25000
03-02-2010, 03:00 PM
My profile pic has been one or both of the girls since I brought them home from the hospital.

same here!

JTsMom
03-02-2010, 03:04 PM
I think that "the BBB norm" has changed over the years.

Today, I would say that using cloth diapers, extended breastfeeding, and not using CIO and not spanking are against the current BBB norm, but back when I first joined in early 2003, those things were the norm here. This board has swung more towards the mainstream, which is understandable as the membership increased.

I remember a heated discussion back then over someone who put their baby down to sleep on their tummy. Today, that wouldn't even generate a batted eyelash. Back then, CIO was pretty much vilified and today there are threads telling how to do it with no dissent posted at all.

I definitely think things have become more mainstream recently. I don't know that I'd say any of the things are the norm now though. I'd say it's closer to an even split- maybe I'm nuts though.

Ceepa
03-02-2010, 03:14 PM
I loved our exersaucer.

I don't check all bath/body/cleaner items through a database of toxicity.

I don't like Merrells, Danskos, etc.

DC watched TV before 2 yo.

No one in my family will eat edamame.

ETA: DC did not go nuts over Sophie the Giraffe! lol

--------

To be fair, I think these were more common "standards" ( ;) )a few years ago with BBB posters, many of whom seem to have moved on or at the least, post a lot less frequently. A few years ago the board was more widely "pseudo-crunchy/AP" IMO and now there is more diversity from active posters.

hillview
03-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Funny, I agree with Citymama, the thing I love about BBB is that we all have a range of ideas and so I get good alternative points of view.

/hillary

Fairy
03-02-2010, 03:17 PM
I don't worry about blankets and bumpers in cribs. I don't even understand why I or anyone ever carried a diaper bag.

Oh, and I personally think I should get dressed, in non-workout gear, to leave the house for non-workout reasons. :rotflmao:

Hey! What's yer point, mister?! Heh heh.

Fairy
03-02-2010, 03:18 PM
You always have the best polls and questions! You post one, and it's got 3 pages in an hour! I have lots, I'm sure, but I need to read thru these and collect my thoughts. First and foremost? I cannot stand HA. Sorry!!!

gatorsmom
03-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Ways I'm not a BBBer (these are things that would fit nicely into a confessions thread):

I sometimes heat food up in our plastic Glad containers.

Too much Nick Jr and Sprout watched around here. WAY too much.

Didn't delay vax- we stuck to the ped's schedule.

No wooden or cloth food here. We do have some plastic though...

I dont' own any Hanna Anderson or Mini Boden clothing. I own a few LE shirts for Gator but only because he wears a uniform for school and I couldn't find these shirts anywhere else. Otherwise, Kohls' and Target for the kids' clothes.

I don't own any Danskos or clogs or anything else that would be comfortable for my feet. If any of my shoes are comfortable it's only because they happened to be really cute too.

I can never really contribute book ideas or cool blog ideas to the threads asking for a good new book to read. I rarely read books (although I LOVE reading). Unless you consider "Little House on the Prairie, These Happy Golden Years" something you'd like to see on a book rec thread. My reading is all done for others nowadays. sigh.

My boys don't brush their teeth as often as they should.

Ok, I think I should be done for now. :bag

citymama
03-02-2010, 03:27 PM
I didn't know there was an anti-Facebook norm around here. Really???

LarsMal
03-02-2010, 03:32 PM

I didn't think so either. Maybe anti-norm to be so public with pictures and friends??? Not sure...I'm a FB junkie, but I don't have a lot of "friends" and I have my security pretty tight.

mommylamb
03-02-2010, 03:32 PM
I agree with some of the other posters that there is really a lot of variation here but some of the outside the mainstream parenting/granola parenting techniques might be more prevelant here than they are IRL, even if it's not the majority of people on this board.

with that caveat:
I own one HA top for DS. He hates it and screams if I take it out. He's maybe worn it twice (though I did like the swedish mocs. the pair he had are way too small now)

I don't prioritize organic foods for the most part. Yes, there are some organic things in my kitchen, and this morning while cutting up non-organic strawberries for DS I felt a twinge of guilt, but I'm mostly non-organic.

Plastic toys over here.

TV too... though he tends to just watch Leap Frog, Sesame Street, Thomas and the Wiggles (to my chagrin).

sposies

Vax on schedule

Y'all are nicer people than I am too. I sometimes feel weird posting in the P&PT threads.

arivecchi
03-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Oh, I forgot a big one, I did not once open that Borders thread that had an insane amount of hits! :ROTFLMAO:

arivecchi
03-02-2010, 03:44 PM
You always have the best polls and questions! You post one, and it's got 3 pages in an hour! I have lots, I'm sure, but I need to read thru these and collect my thoughts. First and foremost? I cannot stand HA. Sorry!!! Thanks F! I did not know there were so many anti-HA posters here!

khalloc
03-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Oh, I thought of another one -

I had my 12 month old be a "lap" baby so we could go to Aruba and not spend another $800 on an airplane ticket. That seems very frowned upon here.

maestramommy
03-02-2010, 03:47 PM
I don't really think there is a BBB norm/standard. The wide spectrum of people here is the thing that always keeps me coming back. :)
:yeahthat: A while back I would've said there was a norm on some things, but now it seems like practices are all over the board, which is nice;)

Leeannpk
03-02-2010, 03:57 PM
I giggled when I saw this thread - I recently started hanging out here more because the uber-crunchy forums that I used to frequent *all.the.time* became so over-the-top and toxic that I needed to just step away. The day I decided to cut ties I read a thread about a mom who lamented that her 10 year old sneaked sugary treats that were meant for the entire family and asked for advice on how to discipline him. She was lambasted for having any sweet treats *at all* and told that SHE was the problem, not the sneaky kid who has unfettered access to all kinds of healthy snacks but insisted on eating all of the family's desserts despite being explicitly told not to. I found the environment so incredibly un-friendly and aggressive toward mothers that I moved over here for a much more balanced perspective! I find the BBB boards to be very middle-of-the-road. Not super mainstream, not super crunchy.

momof2girls
03-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Boths DCs Vaxed on time without hesitation

Both ate Peanutbutter under the age of 2 without hesitation

I allow DC2 to sit in the large part of the shopping cart (it keeps her in my sight)

Do NOT buy organic

Do not shop at TJs or WF (none around here)

Never bought from Boden

Don't feel nostagic about some of the toys talked about on here (Sophie the Giraffe, for example)b/c I never even heard of them except on this board

Don't really understand the big deal made of school milestones (100th day of school, preschool "graduation") b/c it was never a big deal when I was a kid so I think it's kind of ridiculous

Bottle fed both from day 1

JustMe
03-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Wow, I also did not know there were so many people who aren't crazy about Hanna Anderson. I actually do not like Hanna Anderson at all. I learned about the brand on this board, but it was a long time after that until I saw any of the clothes in person. I did not like them at all, and still don't.

For strollers and related gear, I have found the cheapest thing that is comfortable for me and dd.

For carseats, I do take the advice/research about brands and models, but also do not pay a lot for them (no Britax).

Although I do some of this because I am not exactly rolling in my dough, it would be my personal choice to be frugal even if I had lots of money to spare.

MMMommy
03-02-2010, 04:40 PM
I think Trader Joe's Midnight Moo is gross.

I think Trader Joe's sunnut butter doesn't taste good either.

DDs had peanut butter under the age of 2.

We don't buy all organic, except for milk.

I don't love Gymboree. I think a lot of the girls' clothing has one sequin, one frilly ruffle, or one "cute" animal too many on it.

JBaxter
03-02-2010, 04:43 PM
I potty train at or before 2 1/2. I see no reason a child needs to wear diapers during the day after that point. I think waiting until a child is ready is hoo haa

I feed my kids peanut butter eggs sea food all at or before a year old

Im a conservative Christian

I believe in spanking

I loved as did all 4 of my boys ( who walked at 10 1/2 months) the exersauser and johnny jumper

Im sure I'll think of more ;)

pinkmomagain
03-02-2010, 04:50 PM
The few I can think of right now:
- Plenty of screen use in my house (tv, ds, wii, pc)
- All vaxes on schedule
- Snacks are readily availble to my kids all day long
- Really can't be bothered with skin care/makeup chemicals
- No carseats on airplanes

g-mama
03-02-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't own any Danskos or clogs or anything else that would be comfortable for my feet. If any of my shoes are comfortable it's only because they happened to be really cute too.

:ROTFLMAO: Me, too! My motto is "Life is too short to wear ugly shoes." I will not wear comfort shoes or any shoe that is purposely designed to be comfortable. When it comes to shoes, looks always come first. Comfort is just icing on the cake, and I am willing to go without.

mommylamb
03-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Oh, I forgot a big one, I did not once open that Borders thread that had an insane amount of hits! :ROTFLMAO:

Me neither... mostly because I'm too lazy to drive to borders.

Kymberley
03-02-2010, 04:58 PM
DS eats Gerber babyfood

If DS falls asleep in his Snugride, he stays strapped in until he wakes up.

Most of DS clothes come from Walmart, Target, or Kohls (Child of Mine, The First Year, etc.)

Fast food and Coca-Cola are my friends

I eat more chocolate than I care to admit

I use FB to plaster the world with pics of DS, but once my ex-BF's friend found me, I limited my info all around.

I'm a conservative Christian

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
03-02-2010, 05:00 PM
If it isn't coming out of a bag and being passed over my shoulder and into the backseat it is not lunch.

gatorsmom
03-02-2010, 05:09 PM
:ROTFLMAO: Me, too! My motto is "Life is too short to wear ugly shoes." I will not wear comfort shoes or any shoe that is purposely designed to be comfortable. When it comes to shoes, looks always come first. Comfort is just icing on the cake, and I am willing to go without.

Absolutely! Although, I'll probably end up in a wheelchair eventually because of my shoe choices :bag.

arivecchi
03-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Me neither... mostly because I'm too lazy to drive to borders.:hysterical:

If it isn't coming out of a bag and being passed over my shoulder and into the backseat it is not lunch.:hysterical::hysterical:

Absolutely! Although, I'll probably end up in a wheelchair eventually because of my shoe choices :bag.:hysterical::hysterical:

g-mama
03-02-2010, 06:14 PM
If it isn't coming out of a bag and being passed over my shoulder and into the backseat it is not lunch.

:ROTFLMAO: Thanks for a good laugh, Susan!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Here is a link to my Anti-HA post...
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=297862

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-02-2010, 06:30 PM
I don't love Gymboree. I think a lot of the girls' clothing has one sequin, one frilly ruffle, or one "cute" animal too many on it.

I HATE leopard, and other animal prints which Gymbo does....

I did PB after 1 year.

I vax on schedule.

I am Agnostic, but I would chose Buddhism or Taoism over other religions.

fivi2
03-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I think I had been a member for a couple years before ever clicking on the Bargains forum. (you know, on the baby *bargains* board). Even now, I rarely go to that forum. (Not that I am against saving money!)

MommyofAmaya
03-02-2010, 07:24 PM
I think I had been a member for a couple years before ever clicking on the Bargains forum. (you know, on the baby *bargains* board). Even now, I rarely go to that forum. (Not that I am against saving money!)

Wow. That is hilarious to me. I am the opposite. I initially joined in 2006 (I lost my screen name during the board reboot) and visited daily for the bargains... I don't think I checked out the Lounge until early 2009.

maydaymommy
03-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Oooohhhhhh, I got a good one:

I'm all about stroller obsessions, but I gave away my BJCM. Tried to love the Baby Jogger, even got a BJCElite, just doesn't do it for me.

In addition

I don't do any cash back sites, though I do order a bunch online. I am also awful abt using coupons I have & too lazy when it comes to printing coupons.

We actually pay for our Amazon Prime Membership each year, rather than wait for the free trials.

Don't belong to any warehouse club, but I'm considering Costco.

I am Jewish. (I know there are a handful here, still, atypical.)

I don't have a daughter. I know, that one sounds odd, but there are few enough regular posters with just a son, or all boys, that they stand out to me. Maybe I'm crazy on this, and it's not an accurate observation.

I tried VBAC, buy failed.

I also believe that potty training can happen by 2.5, and I think it can be more of an event than a process. (I agree with Jeana on this!) that's the exception though b/c othe than that our parenting is very child-led and positive, and certainly leans towards the AP end of the spectrum. I do like that this board leans that way, too, but with an added dose of practicality I think!

And we like Caillou! I don't get why the kid is bald, but I think the way the parents and kids interact on the show is very realistic, and I think his school is perfectly play-based and developmental. I do think he seems closer to 3 than 4 though. But that Rosie - she's another matter ; )

saschalicks
03-02-2010, 07:41 PM
OK here's mine
-all my kids had bumpers and blankets at about 9 mo
-my kids get to decide their dinner and let me tell you it's one of 5 things that are not the greatest. However, we do insist on a fruit or vegtable w/said dinner.
-my kids watch WAY TOO much TV
-my kids have seen movies that are rated PG-13 and are obsessed with them. We continually allow them to watch these movies.
-our house is in a constant disarray
-my kids eat way too much fast food, but my excuse is that we both work, so we do what's easiest
-I feed/fed my babies only jarred food, but only Organic baby food
-we put the baby in the play pen too much b/c we can't keep an eye on her all of the time

Phew that's a lot and I'm sure I'd have more if I really thought about it.

ETA: a few more
-I circumcised both boys for religious reasons
-we vaxed/vax on the doctor's schedule
-my kids rarely brush their teeth (hiding on this one)
-I am Jewish (like above poster)
-I didn't even consider VBAC for one second
-both boys were turned around at 18 mo (FF), but we think we'll wait for DD to be 2 before we consider turning her around.

tnrnchick74
03-02-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm not super crunchy...I'm more like crispy.

I don't buy organic - or at least very rarely, but I do freuquent the farmer's market and get local produce.

I don't CD, but I do ERF and am fanatical about it.

I refuse to cosleep on a regular basis. I wasn't able to BF & I don't allow myself to feel guilty about it. I had a scheduled c-section and don't feel like I have to justify why that decision was made.

I did use a bumper for awhile and I liked my matching crib set. I tried the "wonder" zipper sheets - hated them. I bought a cheap crib mattress and will invest in a better full size one when we convert to a regular bed.

I wish I hadn't done the snap-n-go and gotten the Buzz instead of my Whizz early on.

I HATE Gymbo. I make a lot of DS's clothing; and I really like Boden & some HA for clothing. DS does wear stride rights as they are wide enough for him & easy to obtain at a B&M store.

But I find I fit in here on the BBB more than some other boards. :)

Jo..
03-02-2010, 07:48 PM
my kids watch tv all day every day and eat Mcdonald's burgers 4x per week.

KHF
03-02-2010, 07:54 PM
DD watches a lot of TV...really. It is just kids shows, but there are some weekend days where the TV is on most of the day. (Not always on her shows and we're not always watching, but for background noise.)

I've used bumpers with both kids. I had breathable bumpers with DS, but got rid of them when he was about 9 months old for a super-cute set that I found.

DD eats a lot of chicken nuggets and hot dogs. When we're home, it's TJ's nuggets and Hebrew National beef hot dogs...when we're out, it's Culver's and McDonald's. She doesn't like fries though, so that makes me feel a little better :bag

I do some organic, but not all...though I think that's pretty common.

And I guess this makes me anti-this thread, but I like HA :-) Not all of their stuff, but DD has owned a LOT of their playdress sets. She adores them. I usually get them at consignment or on sale though.

1964pandora
03-02-2010, 07:56 PM
I giggled when I saw this thread - I recently started hanging out here more because the uber-crunchy forums that I used to frequent *all.the.time* became so over-the-top and toxic that I needed to just step away. The day I decided to cut ties I read a thread about a mom who lamented that her 10 year old sneaked sugary treats that were meant for the entire family and asked for advice on how to discipline him. She was lambasted for having any sweet treats *at all* and told that SHE was the problem, not the sneaky kid who has unfettered access to all kinds of healthy snacks but insisted on eating all of the family's desserts despite being explicitly told not to. I found the environment so incredibly un-friendly and aggressive toward mothers that I moved over here for a much more balanced perspective! I find the BBB boards to be very middle-of-the-road. Not super mainstream, not super crunchy.

LOL. I can't *imagine* what board you're referring to!

Leeannpk
03-02-2010, 08:06 PM

Hmmm... I wonder ;)

I am actually a little sad about not going there anymore. I really loved it when my kids were babies and found it to be a very supportive community for moms with very young children. But I recently found myself really riled up at how horribly anyone with a dissenting opinion about any aspect of childrearing (older children) was attacked and would dwell on threads for hours after reading them. I find much more comfort and fun in a better rounded online community - and I wish I could let them know that, but I have feeling that a thread like that would quickly be shut down.

SkyrMommy
03-02-2010, 08:09 PM
I never even knew what HA was until I started reading here.

My mom makes many of DD's clothes, the rest I've bought on sale/consignment/ebay.

DD is finishing her first year with formula, I want/need my body back.

I have an ordinary stroller/car seat.

We aren't necessarily crunchy... I like tnrnchick74's term 'crispy'. We shop local for foods when we can, garden our own when we can & recycle/reuse as much as we can.

Cloth diapering scares me.

That being said, this has been one of the best, most friendly & open forums I've found for mamas... I appreciate all the differences and ideas that everyone has and really enjoy reading & posting here :applause:

smiles33
03-02-2010, 08:15 PM
I opted for an elective induction at 40 weeks because DD2 was driving me crazy with constant kicking. :bag

I actually asked at 37 weeks how early she was willing to do it and 40 weeks was the earliest. My same OB had ordered one at 41 weeks with DD1, so I knew my body handled it well before.

We also vax on schedule, use commercially made baby food (organic Earth's Best, though) and I only use disposable diapers. I'm too busy and lazy to deal with cloth diapers and homemade food.

Other than that, I think I fit a lot of the BBB stereotypes (love Hanna, organic fruit/milk, love bargains, extended RF'ing, extended BF'ing, etc.).

Fairy
03-02-2010, 08:42 PM

See, now i opened it but became overwhelmed and dizzy and had to close it before a wormhole opened to a parallel universe. Or a hellmouth.

mommylamb
03-02-2010, 08:44 PM

I'm curious. This is the only board I go to. I've never even looked at car-seat.org.

arivecchi
03-02-2010, 08:58 PM
See, now i opened it but became overwhelmed and dizzy and had to close it before a wormhole opened to a parallel universe. Or a hellmouth. That's how I felt about that thread! :hysterical:

o_mom
03-02-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm curious. This is the only board I go to. I've never even looked at car-seat.org.

My guess is www.mothering.com (http://www.mothering.com), aka MDC. It has its own special flavor....

maydaymommy
03-02-2010, 09:21 PM
See, now i opened it but became overwhelmed and dizzy and had to close it before a wormhole opened to a parallel universe. Or a hellmouth.

Hellmouth. . . .
Ahh, Sunnydale how I miss thee.

I am usually all over those big deal sale threads and I kept thinking about whether or not I would regret opting out of this one. Definitely dizzying.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-02-2010, 09:25 PM
this is a cool thread. my DS is not even 2 mo old, but here are some so far

-i shop at Walmart
-DS is circ'ed, if i have more boys they will be circ'ed too
-i plan on getting DS vaxed on schedule, i am very pro-vax
-i am not a fan of the "family bed" idea, DS has been sleeping in his own room @ 7 weeks and all of us (including DS) actually sleep better that way
-i am EBF'ing now but definitely don't plan on BF'ing past 1 year, the thot of BF'ing a kid who has teeth and can talk freaks me out
-i am not into attachment parenting at all, i lean towards making kids as independent as possible
-i spend an insane amount of money on designer handbags, they are my addiction.. i have two Louis Vuitton handbags that i use as diaper bags. i laughed when BabyBargains named a "Louis Vuitton diaper bag" one of the top 7 useless baby items! :)
-when we will travel with DS he will sit as a lap child (unless i'm traveling w/o DH)
-i don't plan to spank but i don't think it's wrong if a parent chooses to use that form of discipline
- i plan to potty train DS around age 2.5, i agree with JBaxter, i see no reason to delay it for so long
-lots of TV usage inside the house, we have two TiVos
-we eat out a lot, eat a ton of frozen dinners/Chinese takeout.
-i sometimes post pics of myself online, i am not super-paranoid that someone will see me and become obsessed and stalk me (i don't think that highly of myself that someone will bother to do that..lol)
-i love Facebook!! never had to deal with FB drama..i guess it depends on who u have as your friends and the kind of stuff u post
-we have been using blankets in crib since DS was born (even at the hospital they provided one), we just make sure it's well tucked in
-plan to feed DS peanut butter before age 2, no history whatsoever of allergies in our family plus i'm BF'ing so i think we're good
-i do not even know what Boden is..lol
-i am not so much into getting coupons/discounts, saving a dollar or two for this or that. for somethings ok, but for the most part i see something i want and if there's no obvious discount i just pay full price. my DH is even worse..he's always saying "time is money" and all the time spent looking to save a buck here and there is not really saved $$

Fairy
03-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Hellmouth. . . .

Me, too. Ohhh, me, too. I actually just put OMWF soundtrack on heavy rotation. Trying to get DS into it as much as he loves Mama Mia. Not so much success yet.

scrooks
03-02-2010, 09:43 PM
After a long day of work I am really enjoying this thread!
:ROTFLMAO:
Ok here goes
-disposable diapers
-organic milk the only organic thing we buy consistently
-we like fast food
-we like tv
-we vax on schedule
-love plastic toys
-my DD is forward facing and has been since she was 18 months old
... and probably too many other things to add

What I LOVE about this board
- the diversity
-the friendliness
-the bargain tips...I've learned about so many cool things I had never heard of....
- the support and advice

Oh and I do like Hanna but for DD only! I don't think the boys clothes are anything special

MamaSnoo
03-02-2010, 10:07 PM
This is a fun thread....and just goes to show that we are all parenting in many ways, which is one thing I love. Whenever I have a question, there are always a few people who understand my perspective and are willing to help out.:applause:

That said--

1. Sposies
2. Don't like TJ's...too far from my house and the aisles are too narrow.
3. I don't drive an Oddy or similar (I'm in a small Hybrid, but there is room for my BJCM! LOL!)
4. I do not like Najarte (or however you spell it)
5. I actually think the Gap is overpriced for kids stuff. Only buy there on serious sales.

eda
03-02-2010, 10:08 PM
All you guys are too funny. I just have to say BBB make me feel normal, yeah I don't agree with some people but still I have learned so much. So thanks

PS. Hanna Anderson makes me think of the Stepford Children. Oh and what is the point of a learning tower, whats wrong with a step stool????

maestramommy
03-02-2010, 10:11 PM

:hysterical: I've been a member since 2005, and I think I went to the Bargains forum for the first time last year.

Melaine
03-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Hellmouth. . . .

Ok, I've been watching too much Buffy and Angel, because last night, I am not kidding, I dreamed that my Grandmother was a zombie. :bag She actually did die only a few months ago, so this is more disturbing than funny. :eek:

Fortunately, David Boreanaz was also in my dream so that was some consolation. :rotflmao:

sewarsh
03-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Deleted-wrong thread!

sariana
03-02-2010, 10:22 PM
i plan to potty train DS around age 2.5, i agree with JBaxter, i see no reason to delay it for so long

This was my plan, too, but DS had other ideas. :)

BabyMine
03-02-2010, 10:37 PM

I didn't know that either. Can anyone clarify?

BabyMine
03-02-2010, 10:40 PM

I guess this is the one I was thinking about. I thought everyone was on FB.

TwinFoxes
03-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Oh and what is the point of a learning tower, whats wrong with a step stool????

Ah, I will quote myself from the other thread! ;)

I've learned a lot! Tangible things:

Learning Tower - mock me all you want...I bought mine in mint condition for $80 from a multiples dad. My girls could both stand on it in our kitchen at 16 months or so, which they wouldn't be able to do on our dining chairs which are bar height. I felt very vindicated (although horrified!) when my DN fell off her step stool and broke her arm in two places. :( Luckily she healed super fast. I'm the crackpot SIL with the crazy ideas, like RF past one, and learning towers.

gatorsmom
03-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Ok, I've been watching too much Buffy and Angel, because last night, I am not kidding, I dreamed that my Grandmother was a zombie. :bag She actually did die only a few months ago, so this is more disturbing than funny. :eek:

Fortunately, David Boreanaz was also in my dream so that was some consolation. :rotflmao:

I'm sorry, no offense to your grandmother (may she rest in peace) but this made me laugh out loud. twice. :rotflmao:

arivecchi
03-02-2010, 11:26 PM
I didn't know that either. Can anyone clarify?
There have been a few recent threads about people wondering whether to join FB, how to block others from seeing their pics, how to defriend, etc. It just seems like some people are kind of afraid of it, like they will get sucked into an unknown vortex :hysterical:. Not that there is anything wrong with asking those questions, but that is why I included it. :)

TwinFoxes
03-02-2010, 11:27 PM

There's an awful lot of "I'd never join FB, there's too much drama-I don't need to be friends with everyone I've ever met-OMG someone friended me and I don't want them to see my photos-I never allow my kids photo to be on FB" on this board. I don't know anyone IRL who thinks twice about FB. And we're all stalker free...so far (cue scary organ music). But people should do what they're comfortable with on the internet, and elsewhere re: security.

Do a search on Facebook...you'll see what we mean.

g-mama
03-02-2010, 11:41 PM
There's an awful lot of "I'd never join FB, there's too much drama-I don't need to be friends with everyone I've ever met-OMG someone friended me and I don't want them to see my photos-I never allow my kids photo to be on FB" on this board. I don't know anyone IRL who thinks twice about FB. And we're all stalker free...so far (cue scary organ music). But people should do what they're comfortable with on the internet, and elsewhere re: security.

Do a search on Facebook...you'll see what we mean.

Yes, I've noticed this, too. I was thinking recently that it's curious to me that people who are active on Internet message boards would find it uncomfortable maintaining contact with people they know IRL on the computer. I mean, people here freely share tons of information about their personal lives to people they have never met and never will. Is it the relative anonymity that makes people feel comfortable here and not on FB? FB enhances many of my IRL relationships, which will ultimately serve me better in the long run than the "relationships" on this board, KWIM?

JamiMac
03-02-2010, 11:50 PM
I love this thread, it's very refreshing!

I have NO problems with Facebook. I don't know, maybe my friends just aren't very dramatic, but I've never had a problem with that.

I also have no problem posting my kids pictures on threads, Facebook, blogs, etc. Just not a worry of mine.

I still have plastic dishes and cups. We also have plastic toys. I would love to have everything look "Pottery Barn-ish" and wooden, but that's not the only thing my kids are drawn to.

We eat fast food and sometimes my kids don't have a veggie with the mac 'n cheese at night.

I don't use special shampoos or makeup and my kids moved to adult shampoos pretty early on.

I left my sleeping baby in the infant carseat when I did preschool runs, or errands.

That's all I can think of for now. I love this board and have been here for a very long time. It is true about it being cyclical in trends, and I think has changed for the positive, especially lately. Great group of people!

AnnieW625
03-02-2010, 11:58 PM
I do not shop 100% organic, and I do not participate in a CSA because even though we do eat a fair amount of veggies a full box is a waste for us.

I do not own any Mini Boden stuff.

I didn't baby carry except the Bjorn until DD was well over a year old.

I didn't use the infant car seat except for the car except for the first few days DD was at home because I couldn't get her to take a nap anywhere else until I got her a pack n play.

I used a Maclaren Triumph starting at 3 mos. old like the website said. It was and is our main stroller.

I started using our jogger for walks with a snuzzler when DD was 3 weeks old.

I didn't breast feed in public with DD and will most likely do the same with #2.

I used the Avent BPA bottles (and also as sippies) until DD started drinking from Playtex sippy cups full time at over 2 yrs. old. (this was well after the BPA scare started)

My child has had candy.

We don't own a learning tower.

We don't own a Sophie giraffe (although my bro. or sister had one when I was growing up)

I don't understand play silks

BabyMine
03-03-2010, 12:18 AM
There have been a few recent threads about people wondering whether to join FB, how to block others from seeing their pics, how to defriend, etc. It just seems like some people are kind of afraid of it, like they will get sucked into an unknown vortex :hysterical:. Not that there is anything wrong with asking those questions, but that is why I included it. :)

Gotcha. That would be me.

Sillygirl
03-03-2010, 12:22 AM
I love this board and have been here for a very long time.

Wow, no kidding! Your join date is Janurary 1970?!?!

TwinFoxes
03-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Oh, one more thing I don't get...Chick-fil-A (or however the heck you spell it.) It's just a chicken sandwich...and a really salty one at that. :tongue5: Salty chicken on the salads too. I do like their lemonade though, and the service is better than most places. But I was expecting the In-n-Out Burger of chicken, and it's just kind of, well, chicken.

BabyMine
03-03-2010, 12:31 AM

She has been on before I was born. WOW

JamiMac
03-03-2010, 12:35 AM

I know!!! I have no idea why it says that? Before they made the board changes a while back it said "charter member". I lost my post count number too. I used to have way more than I do now. I have no idea what went wrong, but I think it's funny. Yes, I was here before I was born. :ROTFLMAO:

kijip
03-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Oh, I am also pro-vax which I think is the majority on this board. I have done the research, read the books that vax dissenters say are sure to change my mind and I did not buy it at all.

Still, I think that the reason non-mainstream things seem like the norm here even when they are still very much a minority is because people remember what is generally different. For example, you don't remember that Posters A-W buy their eggs at the grocery store because basically everyone does, you remember that posters X-Z have chickens. The same goes for cloth diapers, all organics etc.

missym
03-03-2010, 12:43 AM
I know!!! I have no idea why it says that? Before they made the board changes a while back it said "charter member". I lost my post count number too. I used to have way more than I do now. I have no idea what went wrong, but I think it's funny. Yes, I was here before I was born. :ROTFLMAO:

Sorry - that was a glitch when we cutover to the new forum software. Your old posts are still here, but they aren't all linked to your user account anymore, so your post count is low. We never found a way to reconnect the ones that got "unattached." I might be able to fix your join date if you remember when it was, but it's pretty funny as is.

JamiMac
03-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Oh, no problem! Let's see, I was 8 weeks pregnant with my DD1 on an airplane in 2001 when a lady told me about this book that she liked for pregnant ladies. I bought the BB Book and it was all downhill from there. :) You can leave it at 1970 though, it makes me look wise. LOL

sariana
03-03-2010, 12:54 AM
She has been on before I was born. WOW

She was on here even before Al Gore invented the Internet. Er, wait a minute.

BTW, it now says Dec 1969!

FTR, I supported Al Gore and am just kidding about the above.

TwinFoxes
03-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Oh, no problem! Let's see, I was 8 weeks pregnant with my DD1 on an airplane in 2001 when a lady told me about this book that she liked for pregnant ladies. I bought the BB Book and it was all downhill from there. :) You can leave it at 1970 though, it makes me look wise. LOL

Ok, now it says 1969. You are not only wise, you're going back in time!

lchang25000
03-03-2010, 01:05 AM
I do like their lemonade though, and the service is better than most places.

Their lemonade is the best!!

edurnemk
03-03-2010, 01:07 AM
I am Agnostic, but I would chose Buddhism or Taoism over other religions.

:yeahthat: :hysterical: I also hardly ever use coupons, I save them but never remember to use them, no cash back sites either. Oh, and for the first year after I joined I only went to the stroller and car seat forums, yes, it took me an entire year to come over to the lounge.

DS has watched TV since he was 1. I try to limit to an hour a day, but if I'm tired, sick, etc. I'll let the TV remain on most of the day.

Only once did I purchase a plane ticket for DS, the extra $800 is just too much money when your DH is in full time graduate school. Oh, wait, I didn't purchase it, my parents did, LOL.

I had never heard of Boden or HA until I joined this board.

I don't own an Ergo.

We used crib bumpers.

We vax on schedule. Although for our next DC's I may delay some of them.

We don't have a learning tower or anything like it.

DS hasn't been eating as much veggies as he should since we moved.

That's all that comes to mind now... For everything else, I think I'm pretty crunchy.

AnnieW625
03-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Oh, one more thing I don't get...Chick-fil-A (or however the heck you spell it.) It's just a chicken sandwich...and a really salty one at that. :tongue5: Salty chicken on the salads too. I do like their lemonade though, and the service is better than most places. But I was expecting the In-n-Out Burger of chicken, and it's just kind of, well, chicken.
:yeahthat: Except I don't care for lemonade from fast food joints it's usually too sugary so I haven't tried it.

Oh, I am also pro-vax which I think is the majority on this board. I have done the research, read the books that vax dissenters say are sure to change my mind and I did not buy it at all.

Still, I think that the reason non-mainstream things seem like the norm here even when they are still very much a minority is because people remember what is generally different. For example, you don't remember that Posters A-W buy their eggs at the grocery store because basically everyone does, you remember that posters X-Z have chickens. The same goes for cloth diapers, all organics etc.

This is me too, we are pro vax too, wouldn't think to do anything different as it's what my parents did for us and we turned out fine. I do also know who has chickens (or wants them) and who does all organics, all cloth diapers, etc.. Also then in terms of what types of people post here makes it interesting for me too (it's the sociology buff in me) like really conservative religious posters who tend to be way more crunchy than the devout Catholic and moderately liberal Democrat like myself. Where as in real life everyone I know who is crunchy is ultra liberal, non religious, and makes me look really conservative (of course no offense to anyone, but it's just things like that I notice.)

malphy
03-03-2010, 01:26 AM
dd slept on her belly since birth.

I vaccinate

dd watches tv

we live by the 5 second rule

dd runs with scissor (just kidding)

MMMommy
03-03-2010, 01:58 AM
Just thought of another one.

I don't use a Diva Cup. I had never even heard of that until I saw a thread on it. I just can't envision the logistics of it!

gatorsmom
03-03-2010, 02:03 AM
Just thought of another one.

I don't use a Diva Cup. I had never even heard of that until I saw a thread on it. I just can't envision the logistics of it!

:yeahthat: I envision a VERY big, slippery mess. Although major kudos to those who love it. Less landfill.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-03-2010, 03:05 AM
My guess is www.mothering.com (http://www.mothering.com), aka MDC. It has its own special flavor....

Yeah, granola! :ROTFLMAO:

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-03-2010, 03:57 AM
:yeahthat: I envision a VERY big, slippery mess. Although major kudos to those who love it. Less landfill.

It takes a few tries to master, but I really like it... It is not for everyone though.

MamaSnoo
03-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Just had to google diva cup....oooooooooooooh.

TwinFoxes
03-03-2010, 08:48 AM

Honestly, the landfill thing didn't even cross my mind. It's just way more comfortable. I'll just delicately say, no more messy than other methods.

Melaine
03-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Honestly, the landfill thing didn't even cross my mind. It's just way more comfortable. I'll just delicately say, no more messy than other methods.

Yeah, I was trying for a better and more comfortable option and it totally is that for me. Environmental benefits are nice, but even better are the financial savings since I went through a LOT of hygiene products monthly.

boolady
03-03-2010, 10:49 AM
DD always wore disposables, and still does, at night. She is nowhere near night-trained, whether you want to say it is because I am waiting for her to be ready, or because I get nauseous at the thought of getting up to change a wet bed a few times a night.

I'm not a big fan of Gymboree, and I am a fan of the Gap, having never had the quality issues others seem to have all of the time. It just fits DD well, and I get a lot of stuff cheap with rewards, coupons, and sales.

DH and I both work outside the home, yet we still do not have a 4,000 square foot house and put $1,000 away per month for college. Never going to be the case, and that's fine.

Relatedly, I do not think that the fact that DD has been in daycare since about 15 weeks means that she has been irreparably damaged. At all.

I'm fat and I wear yoga pants to DD's gym class every Saturday to sit in the lobby for an hour and read. Since I don't keep changes of clothing in my car, I also then wear them to the grocery store or wherever else we're going.

I'm not convinced that DD being an only would be the worst thing in the world.

No Learning Tower, Haba ball track, balance bike, or the like, though we love our playsilks.

jse107
03-03-2010, 11:20 AM
DH and I both work outside the home, yet we still do not have a 4,000 square foot house and put $1,000 away per month for college. Never going to be the case, and that's fine.

Relatedly, I do not think that the fact that DD has been in daycare since about 15 weeks means that she has been irreparably damaged. At all.

Well, both my kids have been in daycare since they were 8 weeks old. I guess we're even more damaged! On top of that, I didn't feel guilty about going back to work--in fact I relished it!

We're saving as best we can, but realistically we're not even close to maxing out retirement yet.

My kids were FF from early on, though it was mostly due to supply issues and many, many food intolerances. I'm too selfish to do an elimination diet (although it would have helped my waistline!).

We vax according to AAP guildines.

Use disposables

Both kids wear a LOT of Carters. It's inexpensive, lasts, and fits them really well.

The kids watch too much tv. And they both watched TV before 2.

We don't own a Dyson or a Miele vacuum. We've got a Hoover.

I don't like "Mommy jewelry." I want to, but I don't.

Don't want to spend money on CedarWorks or Rainbow playsets

We don't shop at TJs and I don't get the big fuss over it

That said, we do:
Buy as much local/organic as we can
Have a home vegetable garden that we're trying to fill with non-Monsanto plants
Reheat in Pyrex
Limit candy (except on Halloween)
Buy Stride Rite shoes
Dislike the Bjorn and love the KKAFP and other BW options
Believe in child-led potty training (mostly due to my laziness)
Limit McDonalds
Use paraben-free, non-SLS shampoo and body wash for the kids

I'm sure there's more!

arivecchi
03-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Wow! This thread is getting huge! Love all the "alternative views"!

Wanted to add to my list:

- vax on schedule
- hated breastfeeding and only did it for 6 long months (3 pumping) with DS1 and 3 (2 pumping) with DS2
- was incredibly happy the day I stopped breasfteeding and the day I gave my pump away :cheerleader1:
- feel no guilt at all about going back to work full time after maternity leave
- buy tons at Carters (but I must admit I love Mini Boden and Polo for my boys) ;)

Ceepa
03-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I don't like "Mommy jewelry." I want to, but I don't.

I like the subtle birthstone jewelry but the ones stamped with everyone's names are not my style.

I do not like a lot of the past popular etsy buys: bottle cap necklaces, Scrabble tile necklaces, wrist key chains, wipe and dipe thingies, personalized super hero capes (DC tie towels around their necks like I did when I was little :love-retry:), etc.

I've stopped loading up a "gift closet" with deals. I buy for DC and a couple extra if I can immediately think of an upcoming event.

christiedavid3
03-03-2010, 11:52 AM
DS was FF from the ripe old age of 2 weeks.

sposies only

never owned a stitch of HA, and don't care. I find the styles kind of boring and plain. We own a lot of Carter's and Gymbo, almost all of which was purchased second-hand.

DS ate jar baby food, although I did make some of his food as an infant.

DS has a balance bike, but *gasp* also has a bike with training wheels, and loves it!

On the other hand...DS is still RFing at 2.5, and I have gotten in on enough "deals" to fill a small semi!

kam
03-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Sposies only (though we use Nature's Best, and I would consider CD for my next).
Infrequent poster (but huge daily lurker!)
Happily send DD to daycare every day for 10 hours since she was 6 m.o. She loves it! (I work).
Sleep trained/night weaned at 7 mos, fully weaned at 9 mos.
I plan to potty train at 2-2.5 years. (My mom trained myself at 22 months and my siblings at 2 and 2.5 respectively).
DD slept in her crib from 3 days on.

That being said:
I love Hanna for girls (for boys ... eh?)
I try to only buy organic for DD, and she gets a spoon to feed herself (at 13 mos, you can imagine the mess!)
reheat in pyrex
avoid fast food
avoid TV (except sesame street when absolutely necessary in the mornings!)
Extended rear facing

And, just to say -- I LOVE this site. I've learned a ton, discovered Hanna, and thoroughly enjoy reading everyone's thoughts every day.

Anyone else live in southern westchester county, NY?

Fairy
03-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Finally weighing in with mine.

* Sposie's
* I belileve CIO can and will work for most babies.
* We FF'd. And while I did try to BF, I've never thoguht and continue to not think that BF'ing is as critical as the culture of this board supports.
* We vax right on schedule. But I do have anxiety about it, tho none of that anxiety is related to Autism.
* I circ'd not cuz I'm Jewish but cuz I wanted to.
* Speaking of which, I'm a member of the tribe, but don't really think it's against the grain of the BBB, just a fact that the US (hence BBB) has more Christians.
* I am a complete stranger to the stroller culture on our board. I see strange letter combinations in thread titles and know I should just move on.
* Not a fan of HA
* Turned DS to FF too quickly
* We have alot of plastic toys
* We do alot of TV
* I don't do any kind of AP at all, some of it makes me go hmm.However, as a PP said, I don't think the AP approach is as prevalent in our culture anymore, as alot of those parents have left the board.
* I am a relative stranger to the Bargains forum.
* I am a terrible cook. See meatloaf thread soon to come.
* I have a cleaning service every other week for longer than I've been on this board, yet my hosue is still a mess no matter how you slice it.

Fairy
03-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Sposies only (though we use Nature's Best, and I would consider CD for my next).
Infrequent poster (but huge daily lurker!)
Happily send DD to daycare every day for 10 hours since she was 6 m.o. She loves it! (I work).
Sleep trained/night weaned at 7 mos, fully weaned at 9 mos.
I plan to potty train at 2-2.5 years. (My mom trained myself at 22 months and my siblings at 2 and 2.5 respectively).
DD slept in her crib from 3 days on.

That being said:
I love Hanna for girls (for boys ... eh?)
I try to only buy organic for DD, and she gets a spoon to feed herself (at 13 mos, you can imagine the mess!)
reheat in pyrex
avoid fast food
avoid TV (except sesame street when absolutely necessary in the mornings!)
Extended rear facing

And, just to say -- I LOVE this site. I've learned a ton, discovered Hanna, and thoroughly enjoy reading everyone's thoughts every day.

Anyone else live in southern westchester county, NY?

Well, nice to see you, kam!! Please post more :-)

gatorsmom
03-03-2010, 12:25 PM
* I am a complete stranger to the stroller culture on our board. I see strange letter combinations in thread titles and know I should just move on.

If you need any help, I speak fluent stroller. :tongue5: I used to feel that way about some of the bargains "letters" but it's been a long time since I've been confused about some letter combos. I guess I spend too much time here.

Fairy
03-03-2010, 12:43 PM
If you need any help, I speak fluent stroller. :tongue5: I used to feel that way about some of the bargains "letters" but it's been a long time since I've been confused about some letter combos. I guess I spend too much time here.

Many thanks, tho alas, I believe I shall never need another stroller. We have our snap and go, which I miss to this day, even tho I have no need for any stroller; our Peg Perego which I hated; and the biggest piece of crap "better" umbrella stroller you've ever seen. They make good holders of random crap in the garage.

AnnieW625
03-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Thought of more:
*I started cry it out method at less than a month (simply asked my mom how long I should wait before going into pick up DD because she wasn't going to sleep.
I would've lost my mind had I waited for 6 mos. or so to do this)

*Started solids at 4 mos. old (a couple of times a week)

*Loved my mesh food feeder (great for cheese, strawberries, apples, bananas, and pears!)

*I've only owned only 4 strollers ever, and honestly that's plenty, but still in debate about whether we will need a double jogger or not. If so that will def. be our LAST stroller purchase! I do love all three of my current strollers, but honestly I don't see how people can have soo many in such a short time!

*didn't rear face past 1 (but hope to make it to 2 with #2)

*I have NEVER read a true parenting book (I don't think the "APA Guide to Baby's First Year" I got in my go home kit from the hospital counts!)

♥ms.pacman♥
03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
after reading annie's post i thot of more as well.

- i started doing the cry-it-out method very early too, started around 6weeks. i would never let him go for more than 5 min crying if he was crying really hard (rare). by 7 weeks he has been falling asleep on his own (we put him in his crib, awake and he falls asleep within 10 minutes). almost 8 weeks and he typically sleeps 6 hour stretch at night.
-i plan on getting rid of pacifier use around 6 mo, as Baby411 suggests..max 1 year. i see kids on the playground that are 2+ years old with pacifiers in their mouths and it strikes me as very odd.
- i am not a stroller geek, we currently have one Graco Snugrider base and that is sufficient enough..plan on getting one more in a few months that can be used to jog with it, and maybe an small umbrella stroller but that's it.
-also, i exclusively breastfeed and love it, but i totally understand that it's not for everyone. i don't get the superiority issue that many ppl seem to have about BF'ing, how some make it seem like you're doing your child a huge disservice by not BF'ing. my mom was the best mom ever and i was formula fed, it has nothing to do with how good of a mom you are. i do love BF'ing but i think one of my main reasons that i was able to stick with it is that i had relatively little problems (no sore cracked nipples, plenty of milk supply). i don't think i would have stuck with it if weren't for that, i don't think being a martyr is a necessary aspect of being a mom.

lchang25000
03-04-2010, 06:02 PM
I forgot one: DS is 13.5 months old and still eats jarred baby food a few times a week. He just had 2.5 jars in 1 sitting.

Fairy
03-04-2010, 08:55 PM
I thought of one more, too. My 5yo uses a sippy cup now and again in the car and on the couch. That's more of a confession, but the on-topic element to this is that the cups are well over two years old, one is close to four years old, they're all take and toss, and the lids are so old that the plastic up top is pilling a bit. :bag:

sariana
03-04-2010, 09:33 PM
My kids are 5 1/2 and 2, but I still buy baby food once in a while to mix into other foods. I'm too lazy to cook and puree my own veggies, so it's a convenient way to up their veggie intake.

Besides, the little plastic Gerber food containers are perfect for the things I put in DS's lunch. Why buy snack containers when I can use these? (They're also great for corralling little Legos and other tiny toys.)

dcmom2b3
03-04-2010, 10:23 PM
You mean feeding her white cheddar cheezits, applesauce and pureed peaches? And planning to chain her to the radiator when adolescense comes?

Naw, none of that heree.

mdmom2b
03-23-2010, 01:39 AM
Found this thread and it made me laugh, so I had to add mine...

--I had never heard of HA before this thread
--While I buy him WAY too many clothes, alot of them come from Target/Gap/macys
--I am proud to say he is fully vaccinated, on time
--I fed him (gasp) some Gerber jar baby foods...I am a working mommy and tried to make my own baby foods for about one day :hysterical:
--He has tons of plastic toys, the more lights and noise the better
--I have, and have only had, one stroller
--I think most so-called "expert" parenting books pander to parental fears to make money for the author
--DS is still exclusively breast fed, but I see no problem with formula but will likely start giving him whole milk soon
--however, I might keep him RF until he's driving :wink2:

citymama
03-23-2010, 02:32 AM
I thought of one more, too. My 5yo uses a sippy cup now and again in the car and on the couch. That's more of a confession, but the on-topic element to this is that the cups are well over two years old, one is close to four years old, they're all take and toss, and the lids are so old that the plastic up top is pilling a bit. :bag:

Sippy cup *now and again*??? Erm, when are they supposed to give those things up? Apparently I didn't get the official BBB memo (on that one, among other things). :bag

Sweetum
03-23-2010, 03:32 AM
* I don't do any kind of AP at all, some of it makes me go hmm.However, as a PP said, I don't think the AP approach is as prevalent in our culture anymore, as alot of those parents have left the board.

?? what is AP?

g-mama
03-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Sippy cup *now and again*??? Erm, when are they supposed to give those things up? Apparently I didn't get the official BBB memo (on that one, among other things). :bag

By or around 3 is typical. Most peds will say not to let it go on longer b/c it promotes tooth decay. My sons will say that it's not okay b/c it makes them look like a baby at preschool! :ROTFLMAO:

g-mama
03-23-2010, 07:53 AM
?? what is AP?

Attachment Parenting

Fairy
03-23-2010, 09:40 AM
I actually went to buy take and toss sippies the other day, and I just knew DH would have a cow ... and that, besides, he's 5 and what the hell was I thinking and who are they really for, anyway, and put them back. I'm having a hard time giving up the sippy.

arivecchi
03-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Yikes! I guess I need to work on DS1 then. He still uses sippy cups too!

citymama
03-23-2010, 01:22 PM
I actually went to buy take and toss sippies the other day, and I just knew DH would have a cow ... and that, besides, he's 5 and what the hell was I thinking and who are they really for, anyway, and put them back. I'm having a hard time giving up the sippy.

Yeah, we use the take and toss straw cups around here. DD still has a couple of her ancient sippy spout cups which should be tossed but she loves them with a passion. She drinks perfectly from a regular cup at school, or for water at home, but her beloved milk must be in a sippy cup. I am not taking that away from her weeks before her new sibling is born, sorry!

maestramommy
03-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Dora uses an open cup at meals, but on the go she still uses a sippy. It's just neater, safer, etc. A lot of us grown ups use sippy/straw types of water bottles. What's the difference? :tongue5:

AnnieW625
03-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Elisa still uses a sippy cup anytime she isn't sitting at the dinner table (so couch, car, and stroller), well unfortunately is most of the time these days :bag: as I never thought we wouldn't be eating at the table, but this pregnancy has made me lazy! Elisa uses a straw cup at school too. Yeah I don't see the difference either.

zephyr
03-23-2010, 04:20 PM
-We don't own any Hanna/Boden/Naartjie, don't like the styles
-Ds still gets his milk in a bottle at age 3
-I don't like Girl Scout cookies
-the pacifier was used until 19 months
-used a "travel system" stroller
-I only buy organic milk and eggs, sometimes other stuff only if its on sale
-extended breastfed
-sposies, although in my defense, we did TRY cloth and they looked ridiculous on my super skinny kid.
-no learning tower here, but I would LOVE to find one on sale for future dc's.
-Loved the exersaucer, swing and walker and used it frequently, (ds started walking at 10.5 months)
-FF at age 1, plan on going longer with future dc's.
-blanket and bumper in crib.
-LOVE Gap kids.
-I also believe that kids can be potty trained around 2-2.5 years old.

Although:
-90% of meals eaten at home are made from scratch.
-very little battery operated toys in the house.
-non circ'd.
-most of my cleaning products are baking soda, vinegar, dr. bronners soap, etc.
-no tv time for ds.
-co-slept (sp?) for a long time.
-I almost always try to find stuff on sale/coupon before buying.

TonFirst
03-23-2010, 06:04 PM
I do not get Boden. I ordered some for myself a few years ago, and the quality to value ratio just isn't there. Terrible quality, IMO. Like, H&M quality, but for 3 times the H&M price. No, thanks, Johnnie!

deborah_r
03-23-2010, 06:45 PM
By or around 3 is typical. Most peds will say not to let it go on longer b/c it promotes tooth decay. My sons will say that it's not okay b/c it makes them look like a baby at preschool! :ROTFLMAO:

Is it OK to keep using straw cups? Like the kind with the flip-up straw? Because I still can't even trust my almost 7 year old to not spill around the house.

Melaine
03-23-2010, 07:20 PM
My kids still use Klean Kanteen sippies w/ water at night with the little plasticy things....is that unhealthy?

mamicka
03-23-2010, 07:47 PM
My kids still use Klean Kanteen sippies w/ water at night with the little plasticy things....is that unhealthy?

I sure hope not. All of my kids sleep with water bottles & I know they use them at night. I can't imagine that's unhealthy but I could be wrong.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Dora uses an open cup at meals, but on the go she still uses a sippy. It's just neater, safer, etc. A lot of us grown ups use sippy/straw types of water bottles. What's the difference? :tongue5:

g-mama
03-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Is it OK to keep using straw cups? Like the kind with the flip-up straw? Because I still can't even trust my almost 7 year old to not spill around the house.

I don't know if it's okay or not, but I just don't let my kids walk around with drinks like I did when they were toddlers. Drinks are in open cups and are left on the kitchen island or the kitchen table. This happens eventually in every home, right? There were no sippy/straw cups when we were growing up. The only time my kids drink in the car is coming home from a soccer game, using a sports bottle that they used during the game, or on a long car trip.

I am not saying this like 'my way is the right way' - I couldn't care less what other people do, I'm just saying it to show how somebody could move away from using closed cups. :)

DrSally
03-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Ds uses his contigo mugs and funtainers for walking around, nighttime and in the car. We should use an open cup more often for meals, but DS doesn't like it.