PDA

View Full Version : When can DS go biking with us?

Andi98989
03-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Last summer DH started biking on a paved trail near our house and really enjoyed it. Being pregnant, I opted out of joining him :), but I would like to do it this year.

I recall hearing before that you aren't supposed to jog with baby in a jogging stroller until they're a certain age because the motion is too much like shaken baby syndrome. I presume that the same sort of theory would apply to biking? When could DS ride with us? Does it make a difference if it is a carrier mounted to a bike versus a trailer that is pulled behind?

arivecchi
03-02-2010, 02:42 PM
This might be helpful:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=332614&highlight=bike+seat+trailer

The jogging threshhold is a year, although some people say it is 6 months.

I am not sure I would feel comfortable with DH biking with DS2 just yet. Maybe 18 months?

WatchingThemGrow
03-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Our DC weren't comfortable and happy in the trailer until 18m. I'm hoping DS2 will be able to ride in the bike seat this summer (at 12m) but I wouldn't try either before then.

doberbrat
03-02-2010, 06:04 PM
1 is the bare min recommended - the smallest helmets fit 1yo. even in a trailer baby needs a helmet.

dd1 was older when we got the trailer 20mo? 2?

I'm guessing dd2 will be in around 18mo - she turns 1 in Nov (winter) so we'll wait till the following spring.

its sad, I pitched a fit demanding the trailer and I've NEVER used it. dh uses it quite a bit to drop dd1 off at school during the summer (and when his car brakes down) though so at least its been well used.

JenaW
03-02-2010, 06:05 PM
I personally hated the bike seat on the back. I fell off my dad's when I was 3yo and broke my collarbone in two places. DH has one (we need two trailers plus the bike seat to get all the kids seated) and even though he is a great rider, he feels it makes the bike inherently more unstable. That is just our opinion though.

As for when can the baby ride, our infant carrier (chico key fit) fit sungly inside our instep trailer. I started riding with baby #5 when she was about 10 days old. Granted it was on a paved path, so little/minimal bumps and jarring, and I was not doing long rides (probably under 30 minutes to start, and never more than 7-10 miles). I felt she was safely secured inside the infant seat and the seat was secure in the trailer. I was riding at slow speeds on a trail with no car traffic. She was born in September. By the following spring (9mos or so I think) she was perfectly fine in the trailer. She could sit upright on her own, and I was able to keep her buckled tightly in the trailer. However, when we did longer rides (30+ miles) I kept her in the infant seat as I felt she was a bit more secure. FWIW, she was (still is) tiny. Now at 18 mos she is still not 20 pounds, so I am sure that makes a big difference.

Also, nearly every single ride she would start out screaming! She did not like the trailer. However, by less than 5 minutes in she was sound asleep. Every. Single. Time!

HTH

arivecchi
03-02-2010, 06:09 PM
We love our CoPilot Limo. The seat has a really high shell, a harness and a bumper bar. Here is a great article discussing the pros and cons of bike seats and bike trailers.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/babies-kids/baby-toddler/travel-gear/bike-trailers/bike-seats-and-trailers-for-children-4-07/overview/bike-seats-and-trailers-for-children-ov.htm

http://www.amazon.com/CoPilot-Limo-Bicycle-Child-Seat/dp/B000G1YO2I

Andi98989
03-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks, everyone - I figured it would have to be next year for us once DS is at least 1. Bummed that it can't be this year, but it's not worth risking his safety.