PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh Grad nights?

robinsmommy
03-02-2010, 02:36 PM
I moved our DL vacation from March to June to get a little more peace hopefully. Come to find out, I guess there are grad nights at the parks?

From what I can tell, grads can get into the CA park a couple hours before closing, so we don't want to be there, but I've also read somewhere that there will be music and fireworks ALL NIGHT!?!?!?!

We have a disney view room reserved at the HOJO. I'm starting to think I don't want to be there....has anybody experienced this?

TwinFoxes
03-03-2010, 08:25 AM
I experienced it as a grad, does that count? I don't remember there being fireworks all night, but there were definitely more bands than usual, and the local radio stations all have set ups. I honestly don't think you'll hear it from the HOJO though (I've stayed there before) but I could be wrong about that. Between the HOJO and the park is a parking lot, Harbor Blvd (which is huge, like 6 or 8 lanes) some empty Disney property, and then the park.

I think more likely you'll hear all of the buses driving to get onto the 5 freeway.

codex57
03-03-2010, 03:20 PM
I can't imagine the noises bothering you too much.

Disney parks have some pretty incredible engineering built into their design. They really do try and transport you into another world. As us (current and former) castmembers like to joke, guests check their brains at the gate.

Part of that is designing the outside borders of the park in such a way as to keep outside sound from getting into the park. Conversely, I imagine sound inside the park has a tough time getting out as well. Not much you can do about fireworks (those don't last long anyways), but the bands shouldn't be too loud I would think.

As long as the hotel room as good light control, I'd imagine it'd be fine. Might be interesting to be able to look into the park.

Melanie
03-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Back in the day when I went to Grad Nite the park was closed to everyone but grads. I'd call to check, though.

TwinFoxes
03-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Back in the day when I went to Grad Nite the park was closed to everyone but grads. I'd call to check, though.

It still is, but now the grads can go to DCA for a few hours before Grad Night starts.

robinsmommy
03-04-2010, 12:13 AM
I did call Disney, and Grad night runs 11:30 to 6 am. There are two fireworks shows in that time frame, and the HOJO did say that you can hear them in the rooms. The guy said that he lives about 10 miles away and hears them when the wind is right (though I doubt they'd wake him up in bed that far away.)

Not sure what to do. DH has chronic insomnia. Has for years. Sleep is a major thing for him. It's not like he can just roll over and go back to sleep after he gets woken up, and when you've struggled with sleep for years, (as many of us mamas know) a really bad night means the next day is usually awful.

Rescheduling would be....messy. ugh.

bubbaray
03-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Grad nights also mess with MM's. If you search over on the Dis boards, it tells you when they are and the impact.

HTH

Momof3Labs
03-04-2010, 01:17 AM
Can you bring a white noise machine to run while sleeping? Ours was *wonderful* on our last trip to WDW.

TwinFoxes
03-04-2010, 07:57 AM
I did call Disney, and Grad night runs 11:30 to 6 am. There are two fireworks shows in that time frame, and the HOJO did say that you can hear them in the rooms. The guy said that he lives about 10 miles away and hears them when the wind is right (though I doubt they'd wake him up in bed that far away.)

Not sure what to do. DH has chronic insomnia. Has for years. Sleep is a major thing for him. It's not like he can just roll over and go back to sleep after he gets woken up, and when you've struggled with sleep for years, (as many of us mamas know) a really bad night means the next day is usually awful.

If you can't reschedule, can you switch hotels? That way at least the flashes from the fireworks won't be so bright. Have you asked your DH if the noise will bother him? How many Grad Nights will happen while you're there?

Grad nights also mess with MM's. If you search over on the Dis boards, it tells you when they are and the impact.

HTH

What are "MM's"? I'm sure it's something obvious...

bubbaray
03-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Magic Mornings.

Hydroguy's Grad night tips: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2298400

HydroGuy's general rules: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520483

robinsmommy
03-04-2010, 12:03 PM
That's the stinky part. There would be TWO grad nights, with 2 firework shows between 11:30 and 6 am each night. The other 8:45 pm show is obviously not a problem. It's just bad luck that I happened to pick what I think is the only week with 2 grad nights. And, since they are June 16 and 17, it's two bad nights in a row. Ugh.

I'm trying to figure out what to do.

The light is no issue - DH always wears an eyemask, anyways to help with sleep. The noise is another issue. More thinking. At least it's not like it's next week, I have a little time to figure out a solution.

I'll call the HOJO again, but I don't know if they have bath fans we could run all night, or anything like that.

Momof3Labs
03-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I'll repeat my earlier advice - white noise machine.

billysmommy
03-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Can you bring a white noise machine to run while sleeping? Ours was *wonderful* on our last trip to WDW.

:yeahthat:

We don't always need it but we always bring it with us when we travel

codex57
03-04-2010, 03:43 PM
I'll call the HOJO again, but I don't know if they have bath fans we could run all night, or anything like that.

If they have such a bath fan, wouldn't this replicate a white noise machine?

robinsmommy
03-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Yep, I thought a bath fan could fix the issue, and it might, except that they don't have them at the HOJO......

I guess I'll look into white noise machines. Um, is that going to cause problems with security in the airports if we don't check our luggage? I have no idea how big they are or how strange they look. Off to do more research.

AnnieW625
03-06-2010, 03:55 AM

I live 13 miles due west of DL and can hear the 9:30 fireworks show from my house on most nights during the summer and fall when the show is on. I don't recall that I have ever heard the fireworks as late as midnight though. Anaheim probably has a sound ordinance and the show at 11:30 is probably much shorter and not as loud as the one at 9:30.

bubbaray
03-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Yep, I thought a bath fan could fix the issue, and it might, except that they don't have them at the HOJO......

I guess I'll look into white noise machines. Um, is that going to cause problems with security in the airports if we don't check our luggage? I have no idea how big they are or how strange they look. Off to do more research.

OK, not to burst your bubble here, but a white noise machine is NOT going to help you with fireworks at the HOJO. Seriously, the building shakes. Of our party, *I* was the only one who woke up the one night they did them when we were there last April. The girls and DH all slept right through.

But, yeah, no white noise machine or bathroom fan (which the HOJO d/n have) are gonna help.

robinsmommy
03-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks for that info, bubbaray. Candor can be painful, but I'd sure rather know now that after a bad, expensive, vacation.....not to mention chasing our 3 yr old and dragging an exhausted DH around DL.

If it was one night, I think we'd go ahead, but we'd have two in a row. ick. Not sure why they do the fireworks, seems like it'd be one thing they could skip for the late night stuff.

I know, whiny whiny. Hopefully we can figure something out that doesn't involve skipping school....I did have it so nicely planned with the blackout days and the ent. rate for part or our stay, too.....

robinsmommy
03-10-2010, 03:03 PM
I did call Disney one more time to clarify, hoping that maybe there was just one show or something else in the way of good news. But alas, FYI, the shows are at 1am and 3am. Be forewarned, tired mamas....