PDA

View Full Version : S/O: What Have You Learned/Implemented BECAUSE of BBB?

Indianamom2
03-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Off the top of my head:

~I now know WAY, WAY, WAY more about car seat safety.

~I found out why Sophie the Giraffe is a big deal! :)

~I've learned a lot of different parenting techniques to add to my repertoire

~I've found some nice deals from time to time!

~I've had a great sounding board for what's typical and what's not with regard to childhood development

I know there's more, but that's my quick list.

sariana
03-02-2010, 02:41 PM
The only thing I've really implemented is car seat safety stuff. I have LEARNED a ton of stuff here, but I'm too lazy to do anything about most of it.

Oh, I learned about BPA from the blog on the main board, and I do look for BPA-free now.

newg
03-02-2010, 02:42 PM
RF past one..........
Great deals and coupons
Good brands for strollers
Castille soap and using viniger for cleaning

I'm sure there are more.................

egoldber
03-02-2010, 02:44 PM
FWIW, I have no idea who or what Sophie the Giraffe is....

JTsMom
03-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Way, way too many things to list, and not even just child related stuff. I will say that the number one thing I take from the board is that there are a lot of ways to do things, most of which are fine if they work for you, and that no matter what you do, some are going to agree, some are going to disagree, and that's fine. I like hearing from all sides, on every imaginable subject, and have learned a lot about the "other side" on any number of issues.

JTsMom
03-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Quick, someone revoke her membership! :p It's a teether. I know this b/c I googled it after there were 100 posts about it. I still don't get it, except that it's BPA free. Looks like something you'd give a puppy to chew on. :bag

arivecchi
03-02-2010, 02:49 PM
The two biggies:

1) car seat safety info

2) never buy anything for full price

sariana
03-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Quick, someone revoke her membership! It's a teether. I know this b/c I googled it after there were 100 posts about it. I still don't get it, except that it's BPA free. Looks like something you'd give a puppy to chew on.

:rotflmao:

I read a column in our paper about Sophie one day. Literally the next day I saw a post about it here.

LarsMal
03-02-2010, 02:50 PM

I didn't either- until Lori just explained it!

LarsMal
03-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Way, way too many things to list, and not even just child related stuff. I will say that the number one thing I take from the board is that there are a lot of ways to do things, most of which are fine if they work for you, and that no matter what you do, some are going to agree, some are going to disagree, and that's fine. I like hearing from all sides, on every imaginable subject, and have learned a lot about the "other side" on any number of issues.

I could make a list, but I like this...so I'll just copy you and give a big :yeahthat:!

Indianamom2
03-02-2010, 02:52 PM
I was totally ignorant of Sophie (and fine with that) until Ds #2 was trying to gnaw everything in sight 24/7. MIL had been begging me to come up with a list of stuff for the kids...and since I had no real needs for a then almost-6-month-old, I told her about Sophie.

She never said anything about it, but got one for Ds and his slightly younger cousin. They both like chewing on it. If I could have found anything quite like it that was cheaper, I would have, but there really isn't anything else like it in terms of texture (except dog toys!).

Here's a link for Beth....http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=3147&f=201

egoldber
03-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Here's a link for Beth

Well, thank you. :)

But I agree with Lori, it looks like a dog toy....

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-02-2010, 02:57 PM
LEARNING TOWER! ANd I LOVE it. My DD is incredibly independent, so it helps me tons.

JTsMom
03-02-2010, 02:57 PM
(except dog toys!).

I knew it!!! :rotflmao:

infomama
03-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Diva. Wish I would have known about it years ago. Oh and Castille soap. Love it.

JTsMom
03-02-2010, 03:00 PM
My favorite part of the link is, "English translation included".

Now you know, this baby will have to have one. That will be my punishment for laughing about Sophie, guaranteed.

elephantmeg
03-02-2010, 03:01 PM
-extended rear facing
-BPA free bottles BEFORE they came out in the news
-w sitting

LarsMal
03-02-2010, 03:02 PM
My favorite part of the link is, "English translation included".

Now you know, this baby will have to have one. That will be my punishment for laughing about Sophie, guaranteed.

I was just thinking- she's going to end up with one of these!

It is ONE BIG teether- and too pricey for me. Plus, with my third, I just find the closets toy or object and shove it in her mouth!

I still don't know what a learning tower is!

Indianamom2
03-02-2010, 03:05 PM

It is ONE BIG teether- and too pricey for me. Plus, with my third, I just find the closets toy or object and shove it in her mouth!

It isn't as big as it looks...but yeah, it totally looks like a dog toy. It's a softer rubber though. I'm waiting for it to get destroyed by our dufus of a dog. It's just exactly what she would do.

And I just accidentally discovered what a learning tower was last week. Ummm...no thanks and definitely not what I was picturing!

kijip
03-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Benjamin Moore Aura Paints. (Thanks by the way)

Where to become a CPS tech.

I have learned a lot here, but mostly not stuff that you can add up and buy in a store.

That there are many different paths to the same end of good parenting.

sunshine873
03-02-2010, 03:09 PM
I still don't get it, except that it's BPA free. Looks like something you'd give a puppy to chew on. :bag

It totally looks like a dog toy & sounds like one too. But I've yet to meet a baby that didn't love Sophie! (I'm sure there are some out there.) For DD, pulling Sophie out of the diaper bag is a guaranteed immediate smile.

JTsMom
03-02-2010, 03:10 PM

$200 step stool. With walls so DC doesn't fall off. I'm going to put out a BBB dictionary.

jse107
03-02-2010, 03:12 PM
For better or worse:
--Learning Tower (DH made us one)
--BpA-free bottles and the need for them
--Carseat quality and safety
--babywearing
--Kettler trikes
--Hanna
--Never pay full price!!
--Automoblox
--sex therapy ;)

I also always seem to gain insight about other POVs that I wouldn't have otherwise. I really like this board for the thoughtful, intelligent mamas (and a few dads!) that are here. I feel like I can ask or read questions here and there will be an honest response.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Diva. Wish I would have known about it years ago. Oh and Castille soap. Love it.

Diva, too.

truly scrumptious
03-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Because of BBB:
- I use terms like DH and DS
- DS rides around all day RFing in a RN XTSL
- The soap dispenser in my bathroom has castille soap
- I am obsessed with Skin Deep
- I have a bunch of random stuff on my Amazon wishlist that I'm convinced I can't live without (and I didn't know existed before) - like the learning tower
- I just bought DS another pair of "baby" shoes instead of big-boy shoes, so his feet have flexibility (much to the disapproval of the sales associate)
- Diapers.com has a another loyal customer.
- I feel physical pain any time I have to pay full price.
- DH saved $6 on batteries and turned to me and said - "Now I know what you feel like when you shop your sales online!"

And best of all - I have a safe place to come and vent about anything and everything, and know that SOMEONE is listening (reading.)

LarsMal
03-02-2010, 03:20 PM
$200 step stool. With walls so DC doesn't fall off. I'm going to put out a BBB dictionary.

I just looked it up- not at all what I was expecting. I always thought it had to be some sort of tall wooden tower of brain developing goodness!

JTsMom
03-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I just looked it up- not at all what I was expecting. I always thought it had to be some sort of tall wooden tower of brain developing goodness!

You totally owe me a new keyboard! :hysterical:

slworld
03-02-2010, 03:22 PM
rear facing beyond age 1
BPA free plastic
geotrax (i love it though my 20month old doesn't really enjoy it yet)
castille soap for cleaning, vinegar as fabric softner (though I still use a lot of chemically stuff for cleaning)
buying more organic
LE, LLB, mamabargains, M&D
Using a foaming dispenser to make the CAbaby bodywash last longer & less concentrated
I rarely ever go to BRU/TRU anymore since I have realised you can get the same stuff for cheaper
Search for coupon codes before purchasing online

wendibird22
03-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Learning Tower
RF
not to dress kids in thick coats in the carseat
not to put the infant seat on the front of a shopping cart
sophie the giraffe (FWIW my dog thinks it's his and I have to hide it from him...DD2 isn't old enough for her/it yet)
that you can find coupon codes for just about anything online
deal a day sites
etsy (no idea it existed)
a whole host of fun blogs and podcasts

and I'm sure there's much, much more.

Indianamom2
03-02-2010, 03:24 PM

That's what I was imagining too. Some sort of toy with multiple activities...

maestramommy
03-02-2010, 03:54 PM
-Everything I know about carseat safety I learned from my sis mudder, and by extension BBB.

-Bfing on demand in the first few months, solids are for practice the first year.

- not rushing the PTing (beyond reasonable limits :p)

- Reading books like "Raising your Spirited Child," "The Explosive Child," and "Sensational Kids," even though my kids would not qualify to be in those categories

- Getting rid of BPA bottles, not microwaving in plastic anymore, and getting rid of that melamine microwave popper bowl.

- Not worrying about whether my kids will be ready for kindy. They will be, they just won't be advanced (much) :p

- big one. Finding out about EI. Huge for us, since we've had two kids go through the process so far.

There might be more.

dotgirl
03-02-2010, 04:20 PM
I just realised I've been on the boards for almost 7 years - since I was pregnant with DS (who is now 6)! I've learned too many things to list, but the ones that spring to mind are:

"1,2,3 Magic" - we've been using it as a behaviour tool for 4 years, and I can't imagine life without it. Hands down the best thing I learned about here.

Other things -
- Hanna Andersson (my bank account says "Thanks a lot")
- JessiCurl (love it! use it daily!)
- My DH isn't the only oblivious and forgetful guy out there. ;)
- The Jones' are amusing, but I'm glad they're not my neighbours

Melaine
03-02-2010, 04:25 PM
*I don't remember if I heard about the Tripp Trapp and Learning Tower here or just decided I wanted them here (like so many other things I decided I wanted!)

*Carseat tips, RFing, etc.

*Baked Oatmeal!!! We make this ALL the time, like nearly constantly have it in the fridge. The girls LOVE it. Who first brought us this delightful recipe, anyway?

*Sookie Stackhouse books (and several other fun ones)

*Privos

*lots of other great websites, tips, recipes, countless answers to questions, comfort in times of stress, panic calmed during worrying about DC, etc, etc.

ETA: Oh, yes, as pp mentioned Hanna Andersson! Never heard of it until here.

citymama
03-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Gosh, where do I begin? I joined the boards when I was expecting DD1, and I feel like I've gotten so much amazing advice and support from the parents here. Specifically, I learned about:
--Glamormom nursing tanks
--lots of great BFing and pumping advice, which I'm sure I will need again in a few months - I loved loved loved that board during my nursing years
--keeping DD RFing as long as possible in her car seat
--Britax Marathon
--go go Kidz travelmate
--Inglesina Zippy (mixed bag, since we got a pricey stroller but turned out not to be stroller people at all!)
--Kettler trikes (another mixed bag since DD never uses hers!)
--Hanna training pants, Bjorn potty and loads of advice during the PTing period
--scoring my $25 deal on the M&D easel which we love!

Most importantly, support, guidance and chuckles over the years, which helped get me through a lot of parenting angst!

shawnandangel
03-02-2010, 05:44 PM
1. DD will rear face in her carseat. whichi is a Britax Marathon, until she meets the weight limit
2. 1-2-3 Magic
3. Bumgenius Cloth diapers
4. I bought Dr. Browns bottles from recommendations here

mommylamb
03-02-2010, 05:51 PM
I always love the book recommendations threads. I've put lots of things on my amazon list that you ladies have recommended. I like when people list a lot of books, so I can see if you list other books I've read and liked, then I know I like your taste in general and will get some of the suggestions I haven't read.

Not putting DS in a bulky coat in the car.
Extended rear facing. DS was RF until only 20 months, and I would do it longer next time, but he RF MUCH longer than any of my friends kids.
Bargains threads

BabyMine
03-02-2010, 06:22 PM
That there are some very smart, nice, and overall wonderful mamas and papas on the board.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-02-2010, 06:42 PM
That there are some very smart, nice, and overall wonderful mamas and papas on the board.

:applause:

JustMe
03-02-2010, 06:50 PM

This is it for me too. It is so wonderfully useful for me to post situations I find myself in (with dd and others) here and get such a diversity of insightful perspectives. What I like is that most people here seem to *think* about how they want to be as a parent and in other relationships, although what that looks like may be very different for all of us.

liamsmom
03-02-2010, 07:01 PM
This is it for me too. It is so wonderfully useful for me to post situations I find myself in (with dd and others) here and get such a diversity of insightful perspectives. What I like is that most people here seem to *think* about how they want to be as a parent and in other relationships, although what that looks like may be very different for all of us.

:yeahthat: Other forums can be rather snide. I have no hesitations to ask a really stupid question here!

In addition, I've learned:

-extended RF
-lots of other carseat knowledge
-not to leave LO in the carseat for extended periods of time
-there are millions of online stores with great discounts, ESPECIALLY diapers.com
-everyone will eventually purchase a baby product s/he and/or baby hates. It happens.

tnrnchick74
03-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Off the top of my head:

~I now know WAY, WAY, WAY more about car seat safety.

~I've learned a lot of different parenting techniques to add to my repertoire

~I've found some nice deals from time to time!

~I've had a great sounding board for what's typical and what's not with regard to childhood development

I know there's more, but that's my quick list.

My only additions to that list are:
~I now know a few people more addicted to JJB & high end strollers than myself

~I drink my evening wine through a twisty straw...with chocolate if its been REALLY bad

~I'm more confident in my parenting decision because chances are I can find at least 1 person who thinks like I do here

~When people do a "drive by" I shout VAGINA really loud at them...it tends to shut them up!

~And most importantly...I've learned that there is NOT one way to raise a kid and chances are he will turn out ok no matter what I do or don't do as long as I tell/show him I love him EVERY DAY

kristac
03-02-2010, 09:18 PM
I blaim BBB for my magnatile addiction, and having to have DH move the rear seat in the van so I could have a BJCM. There is also a Sophie in my skip hop bag and I'm currently scouting Privo/Keen deals. DS2 made it RFing until 2.5 and DS3 will probably be even longer.

sewarsh
03-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Quick, someone revoke her membership! :p It's a teether. I know this b/c I googled it after there were 100 posts about it. I still don't get it, except that it's BPA free. Looks like something you'd give a puppy to chew on. :bag

actually our dog ate ours. :)

Globetrotter
03-02-2010, 10:14 PM
These are things that elicit a "where did you get that?" from my IRL friends :)

*I think the biggest one is the move away from BPA!
*Laptop lunchboxes
*hanna andersson - ordering from the outlets - I would NEVER have had the guts if I hadn't heard it from you all!
*physical sunblocks (Blue Lizard, in particular)
*strollers galore, back in the day, incl. my Mountain buggy
*pea in a pod sling
*snacktraps
*all the deals!!
*car seats - I would have RF'ed as long as possible anyway, but it was nice to visit a place where this is the done thing and not something freaky!

Those are the "things," but I've also learned SO MUCH here, including the possible link between allergy meds and behavioral problems (wow, that was a lifesaver!). This is a great sounding board and much friendlier (and dare I say, more literate) than most other parenting forums!

dukie41181
03-02-2010, 10:52 PM
The two biggies:

1) car seat safety info

2) never buy anything for full price

Thats GREAT! I feel like I have become even more of a closeted "cheapskate" after hearing about all the deals people are getting! I felt TERRIBLE buying a dress at full price for my daughter at the Gap this weekend...I just couldn't get out of my mind that others bought it at 40% off at the President's Day sale! :banghead: I really wanted the dress, it wasn't available online and only 1 of about 5 area stores had it in a size larger than 6-12 months so I definately felt a sense of urgency...but tons of guilt! :bag

sewarsh
03-02-2010, 11:02 PM
- PURE MAPLE SYRUP!!!
- Ebates/Bing
- PB 69 trick
- Automoblox

But I'm proud to say I was an owner of a TT and Ergo before becoming a member. And I will not handwash poop from cloth diapers.

TwinFoxes
03-02-2010, 11:11 PM
I've learned a lot! Tangible things:

Learning Tower - mock me all you want...I bought mine in mint condition for $80 from a multiples dad. My girls could both stand on it in our kitchen at 16 months or so, which they wouldn't be able to do on our dining chairs which are bar height. I felt very vindicated (although horrified!) when my DN fell off her step stool and broke her arm in two places. :( Luckily she healed super fast. I'm the crackpot SIL with the crazy ideas, like RF past one, and learning towers.

BJCMD - I stumbled onto the board doing a search for double strollers. I had a copy of BBB, but never knew about the boards!

Riley Roos! (DDs' favorites!)

Lots of deals!

Intangible - it's nice to know that my dumb questions have been someone else's dumb questions before! I've learned so much from the moms and dads here. Also, I used to be surprised when someone on the board with completely different political and world views shared my parenting views Now I'm used to it...but still think it's cool. It's nice to know that there are so many moms and dads who really just want their DCs to be healthy and happy. :)

AnnieW625
03-02-2010, 11:22 PM
I would have to say car seat safety is the best thing I have learned from this website. I also love the depth of opinions here.

Product wise:
Name Bubbles (best budget friendly labels out there:))
Country Save detergent
Safegaurd Go
Uppa Baby Vista
Evenflo Triumph 5 car seat

I had/heard before BBB:
Beco Butterfly Carrier
Sophie the Giraffe (either my brother or sister had one of these growing up; they were born in 1980, and 1987. I remember seeing it in the toy box at home)
Hanna Andersson (neighbor kids had this in the early to mid 90s)
Tripp Trapp (didn't get until last spring when I was a regular poster here, but had heard about it before)

sewarsh
03-02-2010, 11:33 PM
OMG!!!
STOP THE PRESSES!

How could I POSSIBLY forget to mention beloved AMAZON PRIME!?!?!!?!?

oh and name bubbles.

doberbrat
03-03-2010, 12:04 AM
-w sitting

what is -W sitting?

It isn't as big as it looks...but yeah, it totally looks like a dog toy. It's a softer rubber though. I'm waiting for it to get destroyed by our dufus of a dog. It's just exactly what she would do.

nothing wrong w/giving baby a (Clean!) dog toy to chew on ;)

sariana
03-03-2010, 01:05 AM
I'm not the poster who mentioned W-sitting, but I'll answer.

It is literally sitting with the legs in the shape of a W. It is very common for children to sit this way. They will start by squatting with the bum on the heels and then let the feet move out the sides so that the bum hits the floor.

Some doctors and orthopedists believe the position leads to misalignment of the hips and other orthopedic problems. I knew about this when I was about 9 because my sister had some problems with her feet, and her specialist (maybe a podiatrist though I'm not sure) told her to top sitting that way. I heard about it again when DS started to receive PT services at about 16 months.

Some doctors and specialists say sitting this was does not cause problems at all. As with most issues, there is lack of consensus.

edurnemk
03-03-2010, 01:15 AM
A loooooot of things, but the most important:

Extended rear-facing (some of you may have read the thread about our recent car accident, so now I'm more vocal about it and DS will remain RF as long as humanly possible).

Strollers!!! LOL

I've read several parenting books recommended here.

And a lot of tips on food, cleaning, organizing, even cosmetics. I would have never heard of things like the "no 'poo method" if it wasn't for BBB, I haven't tried it yet, though.

sariana
03-03-2010, 01:35 AM
I would have never heard of things like the "no 'poo method" if it wasn't for BBB, I haven't tried it yet, though.

I think I remember seeing a thread about this, but I don't actually know what it is. I'm assuming it has something to do with not using shampoo??

It makes me think of the scene in Harry Potter, when the Weasley twins are selling their new product U No Poo, which is supposed to relieve constipation or something.

srhs
03-03-2010, 03:02 AM
Yowzers, faaarrr too much to name:

infant w labored breathing = bad
BABY SIGNING TIME!
snack traps (used DAILY)
Bjorn shallow bowl/spoons
Spoons with the LOOP HANDLES
sweet potato fries
blowing to get DC to swallow meds
Vit D deficiency stuff
storing frozen BM in gift bag
storing horns in fridge to avoid washing every time (WHY didn't I read that with DC1?)
lots of BF support
EVERYTHING I know (& nag my friends about) re carseat safety (ERF, no coat, slot height, plane install, projectile concerns, exp dates, tethering etc.)
cashback sites other than ebates
Target inventory locater
bbq sauce + chicken in crockpot = yum
SD
stuff from Ikea
EXPEDITS (we have 3 now :bag)
Weissbluth book for sleep recs
limit exersaucer
TV time link to ADHD
TRADER JOES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brothers Crisps
RF Walker Wagon rec
Sophie rec
soft-soled shoes
FP Laugh & Learn Home rec
CA Baby in a foam pump
Maclaren stroller rec
Babywearing beyond the Bjorn
wholesomebabyfood.com rec
AR cosleeper (dismissed with DC1 & then bought with DC2 after seeing several posts here, luv it!)
used BURLEY bike trailer rec
Moonlight Slumber mattresses rec
FEINGOLD Diet (going to order soon...probably wouldn't have known about it otherwise)
Africa's Best Herbal Oil
Crane humidifiers (figured they were just cutesy junk until saw rec here several times)
etsy
"vagina," "bean dip," etc

sewarsh
03-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Yowzers, faaarrr too much to name:

storing frozen BM in gift bag
storing horns in fridge to avoid washing every time (WHY didn't I read that with DC1?)

Please share!

sewarsh
03-03-2010, 09:07 AM
It totally looks like a dog toy & sounds like one too. But I've yet to meet a baby that didn't love Sophie! (I'm sure there are some out there.) For DD, pulling Sophie out of the diaper bag is a guaranteed immediate smile.

Neither of my kids liked sophie, but like I said above, my dog sure did!

sewarsh
03-03-2010, 09:10 AM
*Baked Oatmeal!!! We make this ALL the time, like nearly constantly have it in the fridge. The girls LOVE it. Who first brought us this delightful recipe, anyway?

Can you please share this recipe? thanks!

Melaine
03-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Can you please share this recipe? thanks!

Here is the version I use: (I like it with less milk, so we use 1 cup)

BBB Magic Oatmeal “Cake”

Combine:
4-5 cups of oatmeal
1-2 cups of yogurt
2 cups warm water

Let this sit on the counter for a few hours.

Preheat oven to 350*

Combine in a separate bowl:
1 cup sweetener: sugar, honey, molasses, turbinado, or whatever you want
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs
1 Tbs cinnamon
1 Tbs baking powder
2 Tsp. vanilla

Add to oatmeal/yogurt mixture, then add:
1-2 cups of milk to desired texture: more milk makes it custardy, less makes it cakey
1-2 cups fruit of choice (fresh, dried, frozen)

Dump it in a 9" x 13" greased pan, bake for 1 hour. Let cool, then keep in fridge, you can reheat or eat cold.

Ideas for ingredients: frozen blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, strawberries, bananas, applesauce, chopped apples, pears, peaches, raisins, golden raisins, canned p-apple, walnuts, almonds, wheat germ, bran, flax seed. Dessert version: cherries and mini chocolate chips.

If you do a search you will find many variations. It is SO easy and very flexible!

sewarsh
03-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Here is the version I use: (I like it with less milk, so we use 1 cup)

BBB Magic Oatmeal “Cake”

Thanks!! Do you use regular Quaker Oats?

Melaine
03-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks!! Do you use regular Quaker Oats?

Old-Fashioned Oats...I usually use Publix brand. I'm assuming quick would work, just maybe a different texture.

srhs
03-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Please share!

Sure!!! Both came from "Kid Food" pumping threads. Wish I could credit the original mamas.

With the BM storage, take a standard sized gift bag and cut a small slot on the very bottom of the narrow side. Then, freeze milk bags flat. When frozen, add to the top of the stack in the gift bag. When getting milk out to defrost, take the bottom one out of the slot...it will always be the oldest. Be sure to freeze the newly pumped milk on its own before adding to the bag so that warm milk doesn't partially defrost the one under it. Does that make sense?

With the horns, just put them in the fridge in between pumping sessions rather than washing every time. The fridge will prevent any ucky bacteria growth. Most said they then just washed at the end of the day.

sewarsh
03-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Sure!!! Both came from "Kid Food" pumping threads. Wish I could credit the original mamas.

With the BM storage, take a standard sized gift bag and cut a small slot on the very bottom of the narrow side. Then, freeze milk bags flat. When frozen, add to the top of the stack in the gift bag. When getting milk out to defrost, take the bottom one out of the slot...it will always be the oldest. Be sure to freeze the newly pumped milk on its own before adding to the bag so that warm milk doesn't partially defrost the one under it. Does that make sense?

With the horns, just put them in the fridge in between pumping sessions rather than washing every time. The fridge will prevent any ucky bacteria growth. Most said they then just washed at the end of the day.

REALLY like idea #1.
As for #2, what are horns?? I've pumped and have no idea what you mean.

srhs
03-03-2010, 12:55 PM
REALLY like idea #1.
As for #2, what are horns?? I've pumped and have no idea what you mean.
Sorry, horns = flanges. lol

StantonHyde
03-03-2010, 01:01 PM
My Sanity!!!!

Seriously, this board of mammas is amazing. You all know everything about anything. I have posted on topics ranging from kitchen appliances to car seats to anxiety issues in kids, clothing etc etc.

And, to be perfectly honest, I have posted here MUCH more in the almost 4 years since my mom died. You all have been my connection to the sister hood of moms. I love my IRL friends but they don't have the breadth of experiences of this board.

On the funny side--what would do without a laugh at the Jones'?? And when a co-worker said she encapsulated her babies placenta, not only did I not bat an eye, I asked her why she didn't put it in lasagna.....

I have learned a great deal about many aspects of parenting and how people do it differently. I am much more aware of kids with different needs.

And, in the end, we all want our kids to be happy and us to be happy (with or without the twisty straw!!)