PDA

View Full Version : What activities are your kids doing this summer?

gatorsmom
03-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Apparently, it's that time again. Living in a large metro area we have lots of choices of things the kids would like to try. and I always get so excited that I get them involved in a ton, not considering all the driving I have to do. But, i digress. Many of the activities are now taking registrations so I have to think about this now.

What fun things are your children going to be doing this summer?

Cam&Clay
03-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Driving me nuts...

Oh, wait! You wanted a real answer.

DS1 is on the neighborhood swim team and has travel soccer games/practice/tournaments/camp all summer long. DS2 will be dragged around doing the aforementioned swimming/soccer activities. Poor kid.

geochick
03-02-2010, 07:56 PM
University SummersCool (week-long camps with different themes)
British soccer camp (daily for a week)
Swim lessons (a few times each week)
Improv Theatre Camp (4 days)
Disneyland
Legoland
Lots and lots of outdoor play with the neighborhood kids

We love summer activities around here. We also do Field Trip Fridays where I take them someplace fun to explore on Fridays.

rlu
03-02-2010, 08:10 PM
nothing and everything. We have a week of camping planned, but otherwise he'll be hanging out with the 'rents and grands.

DS will be eligible for Cub Scouts, but most don't meet regularly over the summer. They do have camp though, so he might go to Cub Scout camp, but I need to ask DH if incoming kids usually go since he won't know anyone there except DH.

The beach is less than 1 hour away as are redwood forests, Gilroy Gardens, Happy Hollow (local zoo/park), San Francisco, Monterey Bay Aquarium (little over an hour), marshland/slough, local museums, etc. All of those destinations may be explored once or more.

Coach-pitch baseball March through June, no summer sport.

oh - DS will be going to swim lessons at the Y.

AnnieW625
03-02-2010, 08:18 PM
DD will be in swim lessons (somewhere, have not decided yet), will continue ballet on Saturday mornings, will continue at daycare for most of the summer, and will go to summer camp at her preschool four mornings a week for a month.

#2 will be home with me and we'll find some type of baby movement class to go to as well as Stroller Strides at about a month old. I'd also like to introduce baby to the pool, and most likely will attend the mom n me Weight Watchers meeting so I can meet some new moms.

SnuggleBuggles
03-02-2010, 08:23 PM
3 weeks of full day camp so far for ds1- a nature camp, a sports one and a science one. Maybe toss in 1 more week but I don't think so.

I'm contemplating camps for ds2 at his preschool.

Otherwise we will be hanging out at the pool. I already sent my $ in for that.

Beth

pinkmomagain
03-02-2010, 08:43 PM
6 weeks of daycamp and time at our beach house.

egoldber
03-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Well, I need full time child care, so lots.

Younger DD will stay in her current school which does "camp" in the summer. She may be in a different classroom, but it's basically the same program with more outside activities.

Older DD....oy! It makes my head spin! She is currently signed up for a 3 week camp through Johns Hopkins CTY (which she is VERY excited about), a week of "Harry Potter" camp (a Girl Scout day camp with a HP theme), a week of Camp Invention at her school, then a week off, then a week of Girl Scout sleep away camp, then a week of "Camp Grandma", then 2 weeks of camp at the place where younger DD is in child care and then the last week of summer is our family vacation (because all child care in the area is closed that week).

I wish she could have a more leisurely summer, but it's not in the cards. And she LOVES being able to do all the fun stuff she has no time for during the school year, so....

LD92599
03-02-2010, 08:57 PM
This summer will be different since i'll be home w/ a newborn AND DS! DS is excited i'll be home (i woth FT). He'll be in our local summer rec program from 9-1 and hopefully the sitter we used last year is available again this summer, esp since I obviously don't know when I'll be in the hospital, kinda hard to plan! I saw a kids Zumba/exercise type class that i'm sure he'd love and since it's 4pm, i can manage that this summer w/ him. Lots of bike ride and park time too, and the zoo. That's about it!

WatchingThemGrow
03-02-2010, 09:03 PM
A friend of mine said last summer that she wanted to be "bored in her backyard" which sounds mighty nice to me. :)

Here's what I kinda hope...
DD (4) learning to ride her new bike, pretending with friends and neighbors in the playhouse, helping me cook the CSA ingredients
DS1 (2.5) naked PTing in the yard, riding the balance bike, sand and water table
DS2 (1) learning to walk

I opted to not sign up for any of the camps at our preschool, and haven't signed up for anything else yet either. Nothing's jumping out at me, despite the 1million options. We'll likely do private swimming lessons because it is easier for me to just take them to one "class" vs. hanging out when our pool offers them (5-6pm when we'd be eating).

With this being the last summer we have DD before she's in preschool 5d/wk, I want to actually be a fun mom with planned activities. We have a spectacular set of soccer fields adjacent to our house. I want to take advantage of that and go play with them down there.

Elilly
03-02-2010, 09:07 PM
DD (7 1/2) will do tennis lessons twice a week in June, one week of gymnastics camp in July, and piano lessons every other week throughout the summer.
DS (5) will do one week of gymnastics camp and will play baseball as well.
We are joining the K of C pool and will be there a ton. A lot of playdates as well. We have a summer vacation to FL in July as well.

o_mom
03-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Neighborhood swim team (DS1 for sure, maybe DS2 if I can get him up to that level in time). That's it. We did a whole lot of nothing last summer and it was great. We will probably take some short trips to visit relatives and such, but no big vacation planned this year (did that last year and DH said never again until they are much older).

kristenk
03-02-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm not really sure, yet.

DD will restart swimming lessons (we're taking a break this spring) and will continue with gymnastics b/c it's a year-round class.

I believe that the local school district offers different week-long half-day camps throughout the summer. I'll check out the different options and try to coordinate with one of DD's friends.

Our local community center also offers week-long camps. DD has done some of those in the past, but I'm not sure if there's anything that will work for us this year since DD will be moving up from the preschool class level to the school-aged classes. I didn't have a problem with her being the oldest in a 3-5 age group, but I'm not sure about putting her in a 6-12 group. I think the age group varies by class, so I'll have to see if any work.

MelissaTC
03-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Catholic Vacation Bible School
Daycamp
Baseball
Cub Scout camp

smilequeen
03-02-2010, 09:39 PM
For Simon...little league
For both...half day camp for 6 weeks at their school (Oliver in the preschool program and Simon in the K-3 program! YIKES!).

Other than that, they will take swimming lessons, we'll take a vacation or two, and we'll get happily bored :)

It was totally overwhelming the choices for a K or older kid. OMG. I decided to just make it easier on myself since his school has such a great camp :)

HIU8
03-02-2010, 10:59 PM
DS and DD will go to 4 weeks of daycamp. DS's will be "real" daycamp. DD's will be preschool daycamp. DS will probably also do a week of soccer camp. DS will get swim lessons in camp. DD will have swim lessons on the weekends. The rest of the time they will both go to their old daycare (so I can work). We plan on taking several close in trips instead of a big vaca this year.

mom2binsd
03-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Nothing organized probably, not in our budget.

We hope to drive to Canada to visit family (it's a cheap vacation).

They'll play in the yard, swim in our little pool, ride bikes, explore....

I work odd and unpredictable hours, my IL's have them and they always have fun with them too (many trips to the DQ!)

We'll go to the community pool and maybe a nearby lake.

They can't wait till the fireflies are back!

baymom
03-03-2010, 12:29 AM
More or less the same thing we did last summer:

--spend 2-3 weeks in Southern Cal with grandparents and extended family
--go to beaches, museums, parks, trails, ect. around where we live
--get a season pass to a local amusement park and go often
--two camping trips (one weekend one with friends and another 4 day one with family)
--possibly swimming lessons again
--annual family vacation (went to DC last year, this year will go to Calgary)
--playdates with friends
--tend our local community garden plot
--gets lots of use out of our neighborhood pool
--ride our bikes, go to the library, do art projects, ect.

It's a rather unstructured summer, really. DC have way too many classes after school during the school year and I like the idea of them having long, lazy summer days with nothing that we HAVE to do or no place we HAVE to go. I want to have fun options for them planned, but have the flexibility to cancel them, too.