PDA

View Full Version : Roger Ebert on Oprah

DrSally
03-02-2010, 11:27 PM
I just watching Oprah on Tivo with Roger Ebert. Wow. He looks so different. What strength they both have. He and his wife make such a great team. Amazing what technology can do too, for those who can't talk.

ETA: I read his film reviews and he is the just a treasure trove of knowledge, and such a good hearted person. Some critics can be joyless, I've always seen him as a generous person.

TwinFoxes
03-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Darn it, I actually meant to watch Oprah for once, because I really wanted to see him. He's had a really rough go of it. I heard a piece on NPR about the technology that allows him to talk, but they didn't have sound of it (now I know why, I'm sure Oprah had an exclusive).

DrSally
03-02-2010, 11:39 PM
I just loved how he was talking about his choice to not have any more surgeries--any subsequent surgeries would be purely cosmetic. He said that no one looks perfect, and at a certain point we all have to make peace with how we look and get on with life. Absolutely loved that.

hardysmom
03-02-2010, 11:40 PM
He rocks.

Stephanie

mom2binsd
03-03-2010, 12:08 AM
It was inspiring.

The love he and his wife share is priceless, she appears to be quite an amazing woman.

larig
03-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Thanks for this. I am a big fan.

I loved this article when I read it recently, thought some might not have seen it.
http://www.esquire.com/print-this/roger-ebert-0310

firsttimemama
03-03-2010, 01:38 PM
I love him.

calv
03-03-2010, 02:12 PM
I just loved how he was talking about his choice to not have any more surgeries--any subsequent surgeries would be purely cosmetic. He said that no one looks perfect, and at a certain point we all have to make peace with how we look and get on with life. Absolutely loved that.

ITA! I loved it too. Saw the show last night. and his eyes just smiled at you during the entire interview. Anyone else notice that?

I admire them as a couple. I can't believe he can't eat anymore. WOW. Sounds like it was feeding tubes only? I think they said 5x a day?

TwoBees
03-03-2010, 02:13 PM
OOhh, I want to see that. Fortunately, I think Oprah is re-run around 1 or 2 in the morning.

deborah_r
03-03-2010, 02:16 PM
I didn't see it but read about it online and watched a short clip. I had no idea he was facing all of these challenges. I was vaguely aware he had been ill, but did not know the extent. I read his reviews quite often. I was shocked when I saw a video clip - even reading about the voice thing before I watched the clip, I didn't know he looked totally different and was looking at the screen wondering who that guy was. I'm a fan and think he is super smart and like a PP said, a good hearted person.