PDA

View Full Version : How important is it to take a prenatal every day in the 1st trimester?

ourbabygirl
03-03-2010, 12:38 AM
I didn't have a hard time keeping down my prenatals w/DD, but this time is a different story- almost everything is making me gag lately! (TMI, sorry!) I know that the folic acid is really important to guard against spinal cord defects (is that right?), so I'm doing my best and so far have only missed a couple days. This morning sickness is kicking my butt, & I'm wondering how I can just suck it up to get through it & not be a zombie mom & wife!
I've tried the B-6 & Unisom combination, but so far it only worked the first night I took it; every other day it's just made me get sick & then sleepy for the rest of the day. (My dr.'s office said to take one 50 mg B-6 & half of a 25 mg Unisom.) Any other recommendations? :bowdown: I tried Zofran w/ DD but didn't feel it really helped, so I stopped taking it (plus now I know the price has gone way up for it, & our insurance isn't as good so I don't think I want to go down that road).
Any other advice (medicinal or otherwise) would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thank you so much! :thumbsup:

lalasmama
03-03-2010, 12:43 AM
See what your OB or midwife thinks about 2 Flinstones (or comparible) kids vitamins.

fumofu
03-03-2010, 12:45 AM
Have you tried taking the vitamins right before going to bed? It doesn't matter when you take it as long as you're consistent every day. If that doesn't help, consider switching to a regular multivitamin, which has folic acid but most likely at lower levels than the recommended dosage for expectant mothers. But at least you're getting some vitamins in you. Of course, you should consult with your doctor before making any changes.

Good luck!

gatorsmom
03-03-2010, 12:47 AM
I had the same problem for the first 3 months. My OB said it was very common and to just take it when I could and try to take it with food. Also, maybe there is a better time of the day to take it?

Not much other advice beyond that. I didn't really have much morning sickness. My problem was the extreme fatigue I felt the first 3 months. It nearly kicked my butt.

Oh, ETA if you can't take the full prenatal vitamin, maybe your doctor could prescribe folic acid pills for you? I know I took them my first pregnancy and they were prescribed by my OBGYN. The ones I took were tiny. gl!

TwinFoxes
03-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Folic acid is important because it can help prevent spina bifida, a very bad birth defect. But I think the risk of that developing is pretty early in pregnancy, I'm sure someone else can weigh in. I've read that a lot of moms to be take a chewable Flintstone, they find that easier to keep down.

citymama
03-03-2010, 02:38 AM
I think it's important to get the folic acid and B vitamins in the first trimester. Talk to your OB or midwife about how to do this some other way if the prenatals are impossible. I feel your pain - I was exactly the same way for the first 4 months both times, worse the second time. I found it best to take a single pill vitamin (rather than multiple pills) and to take it right before bedtime - literally the last thing before I lay down. I think skipping it a night here and there isn't the end of the world, but you don't want to skip it several days in a row.

And congrats!

tmahanes
03-03-2010, 02:39 AM
I was sick basically the entire time with my son.... I didn't have a problem with the vitamins if I took them at night, right before bed.

Did you try the zofran that you dissolve under your tongue?? I never would have made it through without them because I was soooo sick and I kept losing weight even after being able to eat with the zofran so I can't imagine if I hadn't taken it. My insurance company would only pay for 20 every month because they said it was so expensive. But when I would self pay because I needed more for that month it was like $12 for 20 pills, which I do not consider expensive at all (I would have paid much more to keep from getting sick every day!! ;) )! I did use the generic version of zofran.

You can also just get folic acid pills at Walmart etc. My OB said to take 1000 micrograms (I think?) daily.

Hope you feel better!

MoJo
03-03-2010, 07:47 AM
1) Take it at night, for sure

2) Try a different prenatal. I had one with DD#1 that I couldn't keep down even though I didn't have particularly bad sickness; I switched to a different brand and it was MUCH better.

3) Ondansetron is the generic of Zofran. The form that dissolves on the tongue has been a lifesaver for me with this pregnancy! And I only have to take 1/2 of a tiny pill 3 times a day. On my insurance, it's not expensive. . . I think you should at least ask how much it would cost on your insurance.

Hope you find something that works for you!

Andi98989
03-03-2010, 10:17 AM
I always take my vitamins at night, otherwise they make me nauseated in the morning (pregnant or not). I would try that. I also have friends to take 2 Flinstones vitamins because that sits better with them.

I just heard about this - sounds like it's a 'fancy' version of SeaBands. Might be worth checking out how much it costs.
http://www.primabellarx.com/

3blackcats
03-03-2010, 10:18 AM
What about the chewable prenatal vitamins?

lizzywednesday
03-03-2010, 10:22 AM
I took folic acid supplements after I puked up my prenatal.

Once the morning sickness ended, I went back to taking the prenatals.

I also take them at night, usually after dinner.

PearlsMom
03-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Ask for another brand of prenatals -- I still have bad morning sickness (at 23 weeks) and found some are less terrible than others. The capsule kind did NOT work for me; the solid ones I got later are somewhat better.

I also take mine last thing before bed (they're on my nightstand) along with two Tums.

Do your best -- early 1st trimester is supposed to be the most important time for vitamins, but plenty of women spend the whole time malnourished because of m/s and the kids come out fine. Sending positive tummy vibes your way!

bw52
03-03-2010, 10:55 AM
I was REALLY sick and only took my prentals a handful of times in the beginning. My dr. said to take Flinstones when I could. I couldn't even take those until I was out of the first trimester and that's what I took the rest of my pregnancy. Not as good as prenatals, I don't think. But I think it depends on how sick you are. For me, I lost tons of weight and was just trying to get a little food in me. I worried about not taking the vitamins the whole time, but LO is happy and healthy. I've also heard it depends more on your health before you got pregnant. If you were healthy and good about taking vitamins then, your body has good vitamin stores and uses that a lot in the first trimester. I'm not sure how true that is, but that's what I was hoping for when I couldn't keep the vitamins down.