PDA

View Full Version : Lands End customer service - update

KrisM
03-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Update:
I did post on the LE facebook page. I was contacted by an admin and was offered an exchange. They didn't have anything comparable in stock and I was told I can wait until they restock in the fall to do the exchange. I'm quite happy with that outcome. Thanks for suggesting it!

Original Post:

I called LE today because DS1's zipper broke on his winter coat. The pull part pulled off and he came home with a paper clip on it. I did put on a zipper pull, so it's useable.

I called and asked what my options were - could it be repaired, exchanged, etc. But, since I bought it about 2 (maybe 3?) years ago at Sears, I'm past my return period of 90 days :(. She did offer to return it for me for the lowest selling cost, which is likely about what I paid for it, and then I could try to find another to buy for him. But, of course, it only March and I'm in Michigan and he can't not have a coat while I do this.

I was hoping that this coat would be worn by DS2 in a few years as well.

Is this typical LE service? I was expecting more help for some reason.

REI has a lifetime guarantee and I was in a car accident years ago wearing a REI fleece and the airbag wore the fleece out on the sleeve and REI replaced that for free with no questions asked. Much better, IMO.

mariza
03-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Did you purchase at Sears or directly from LE? Either way, it sounds like you tried to return to Sears. I would call LE on the phone and try to resolve it with them. I got DD a dress there 3 years ago and the stiching on one sleeve started to unravel. I called to complain and they offered to replace it but the pattern was out of stock. They then told me if I wanted to have it repaired I could send them the repair bill. I never got around to doing that and when the dress came out again the following spring they let me buy the same dress in the next size up. I did have to buy it from them over the phone but they gave me an order number so that I was able to bring the old one back to the store and got the same amount of money back.
Sorry they gave you a hard time, but I have always had awesome CS expereinces with LE. I actually switched from LL Bean to LE due to the ease of returning to Sears.

o_mom
03-03-2010, 09:23 AM
I would try again and speak with a supervisor. It says on their website that you can return at ANY time for exchange or refund: http://www.landsend.com/aboutus/guaranteed/index.html

Snow mom
03-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Yeah, that's really strange. I'd call again. According to LE their merch is "Guaranteed. Period."

MelissaTC
03-03-2010, 09:35 AM
I bought DS's coat a year ago and same thing, broken zipper. They are replacing it. Definitely call back.

veronica
03-03-2010, 10:04 AM
I had something quite similar happen to me. The velcro closures on DS's winter coat broke. I bought it last summer on their overstocks page for $20. He had worn it only a handful of times at the start of summer. Of course, it was no longer available since it had been an overstock.

At first , I was offered a refund. Great-but where can I find a $20 lands end winter coat at the start of winter??? I was transfered to a supervisor who then offered me another winter coat at no extra cost , even though they were selling it for $40 at the time. I had to send mine back for them to inspect which was no big deal.

I'd call again if I were you.

mommylamb
03-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Call them again. That is not their policy. I am a "fan" of lands end on FB, and this is a recent post from them:

Over the years, our guarantee has been put to the test. Most notably: the return & refund of a 1984 London Taxi. It’s true, we’ll accept any return for any reason, at any time. No fine print. No arguments. Guaranteed. Period ®. Do you have a surprising Lands’ End return story? Tell us about it & there might be a surprise in it for you.

Minnifer
03-03-2010, 10:18 AM
I agree w/PPs - LE has taken stuff back for me and/or exchanged it *years* after I bought it. I just had another issue this year with a down coat my mom gave me for Christmas 3 (or maybe even 4!) years ago, and they were happy to exchange it, no problem. Maybe b/c you bought from Sears it's different, but I'd hate to think that's the case and would have thought LE would stand behind their merch regardless of where sold... definitely call again and speak w/a supervisor.

KrisM
03-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Did you purchase at Sears or directly from LE? Either way, it sounds like you tried to return to Sears. I would call LE on the phone and try to resolve it with them. I got DD a dress there 3 years ago and the stiching on one sleeve started to unravel. I called to complain and they offered to replace it but the pattern was out of stock. They then told me if I wanted to have it repaired I could send them the repair bill. I never got around to doing that and when the dress came out again the following spring they let me buy the same dress in the next size up. I did have to buy it from them over the phone but they gave me an order number so that I was able to bring the old one back to the store and got the same amount of money back.
Sorry they gave you a hard time, but I have always had awesome CS expereinces with LE. I actually switched from LL Bean to LE due to the ease of returning to Sears.

I did buy it at a Sears store. I called LE on the phone about the return. I no longer have my receipt, so they said I'm limited to 90 days return because it was purchased at Sears.

I would try again and speak with a supervisor. It says on their website that you can return at ANY time for exchange or refund: http://www.landsend.com/aboutus/guaranteed/index.html

That's what I thought!

I had something quite similar happen to me. The velcro closures on DS's winter coat broke. I bought it last summer on their overstocks page for $20. He had worn it only a handful of times at the start of summer. Of course, it was no longer available since it had been an overstock.

At first , I was offered a refund. Great-but where can I find a $20 lands end winter coat at the start of winter??? I was transfered to a supervisor who then offered me another winter coat at no extra cost , even though they were selling it for $40 at the time. I had to send mine back for them to inspect which was no big deal.

I'd call again if I were you.

This is it exactly. Okay, I paid $28 in Feb 2007, according to my post (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=272801&highlight=SEARS):ROTFLMAO:
On their webpage, there are no comparable coats, for boys, in his size at all. I wonder if I should wait and call in August and see if they'll exchange then.

sue_g
03-03-2010, 10:25 AM
I had two Lands End children coats that were not used with the tags still on that I bought a year or two ago at a low price. It was the sports squall. I just wanted it in a bigger size, but since they don't have the same exact jacket in stock (the colors have been changed) they would only give me the lowest selling price back. They said they could not exchange it for a new sports squall jacket in a bigger size.

August Mom
03-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Buying LE at Sears definitely complicates things. FWIW, you can return LE to Sears after 90 days, but a supervisor typically has to get involved because the computer won't pull up your receipt after 6 months, I think (although it may be less time than that). Anyway, usually they search by your name/address to find the receipt information in the computer and then process the return. It is a huge PITB. If you don't have your receipt, though, that is a problem. I would probably still call LE again but I do think that on their end they are constrained when LE is purchased at Sears and there is that middle-man element.

larig
03-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Call them again. That is not their policy. I am a "fan" of lands end on FB, and this is a recent post from them:

Over the years, our guarantee has been put to the test. Most notably: the return & refund of a 1984 London Taxi. It’s true, we’ll accept any return for any reason, at any time. No fine print. No arguments. Guaranteed. Period ®. Do you have a surprising Lands’ End return story? Tell us about it & there might be a surprise in it for you.

That was exactly the story I thought of when I read this. WE have a DH jacket that I need to deal with. Zipper broke too. It is a couple of years old, but if a company says they are going to make something good, then I don't feel bad letting them.

veronica
03-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I did buy it at a Sears store. I called LE on the phone about the return. I no longer have my receipt, so they said I'm limited to 90 days return because it was purchased at Sears.

That's what I thought!

This is it exactly. Okay, I paid $28 in Feb 2007, according to my post (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=272801&highlight=SEARS):ROTFLMAO:
On their webpage, there are no comparable coats, for boys, in his size at all. I wonder if I should wait and call in August and see if they'll exchange then.

You know-when I finally got them to agree to send a replacement coat, I also just asked for a larger size and they were fine with it. I'd call again and go for the larger size for next year!

ETA: They also offered me a coat that I could pull up on the website with the SKU they gave me, but it was not currently on their site being sold. If you get someone that has acces to this stuff, they could possibly find you a replacement you don't even know is available!

KrisM
03-03-2010, 05:41 PM
I called again. Since I don't have a receipt, they can't do anything. If I had ordered online, they could look it up. Since I didn't, I'm SOL.

slworld
03-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I am very surprised (& disappointed) at the response you received. I have always had great luck with LE CS (of course I only do online purchases & usually keep all the confirmation emails).

Momof3Labs
03-03-2010, 06:29 PM
I called again. Since I don't have a receipt, they can't do anything. If I had ordered online, they could look it up. Since I didn't, I'm SOL.

Frankly, I'd push back on that given their policy of guaranteeing every item for life. Ask for a supervisor, if needed. What if it were a gift and you had no receipt? Would that also invalidate the warranty?

larig
03-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Just thinking about this again, and given that they are requesting you send in LE return stories, when you call back, tell a supervisor-type-person that they don't want YOUR LE return story (which is currently a BAD one) to be the story you have to tell.

o_mom
03-03-2010, 06:45 PM
If you go to the store can they access the receipt?

Andi98989
03-03-2010, 07:04 PM
I would be tempted to write on the LE Facebook wall that you're having trouble returning an item under the guarantee.

veronica
03-03-2010, 07:10 PM
If you go to the store can they access the receipt?

I think this would be worse. I tried initially for my item (and I had a receipt). Whille I could get my $20 back, my argument was that I was SOL for being a smart shopper and getting a deal in the summer for a winter coat. Sure, I could get my $20 back and then dump it into a $70 coat. They can't do much in the store except give you back what you paid. Then, they offer to return your defective item to LandsEnd but that would leave OP with no coat!!!

does the tag on the coat have any sort of item #? Perhaps if you sent it back , they could then send you a "suitable" replacement. It would leave you without a coat for a bit but at least with some sort of resolution?

AnnieW625
03-03-2010, 07:15 PM
This is all really good to know. I have bought a few LE things at Sears, but do most of my shopping with them online so I'll continue to do that in the future. Good luck and I hope you find a good coat for your son soon!

o_mom
03-03-2010, 07:21 PM
I think this would be worse. I tried initially for my item (and I had a receipt). Whille I could get my $20 back, my argument was that I was SOL for being a smart shopper and getting a deal in the summer for a winter coat. Sure, I could get my $20 back and then dump it into a $70 coat. They can't do much in the store except give you back what you paid. Then, they offer to return your defective item to LandsEnd but that would leave OP with no coat!!!

does the tag on the coat have any sort of item #? Perhaps if you sent it back , they could then send you a "suitable" replacement. It would leave you without a coat for a bit but at least with some sort of resolution?

I was thinking they could access and possibly print the receipt for her, since a PP mentioned they were able to access it at her store. They also may be able to place the LE order from the store for the replacement after seeing the receipt.

I do understand where they are coming from. If they didn't require any record, I could buy a coat at a garage sale for $2 and return it for a new one.

crl
03-03-2010, 07:29 PM
So they won't replace the coat? I'm really surprised and disappointed for you. I can see that they would need the original back first, but since it's LandsEnd brand, what does it matter where you bought it or if you have a receipt? I can also see them refusing to send a larger size (although I think it would be great and good business if they did) on the premise that they only need to guarantee the original item, not upgrade it.

I had a zipper break on one of their jackets a very long time ago--maybe as long as 15 year ago? It was a couple of years old at that point. And when I asked about getting a new zipper or something the phone order person said, send it in and we'll send you a new jacket. And they did.

Catherine

KrisM
03-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Frankly, I'd push back on that given their policy of guaranteeing every item for life. Ask for a supervisor, if needed. What if it were a gift and you had no receipt? Would that also invalidate the warranty?

They said because it could have been purchased at a garage sale, it's only for life if there is a receipt and it's not for the life of the item itself. Don't know about the gift aspect.

KrisM
03-03-2010, 07:45 PM
So they won't replace the coat? I'm really surprised and disappointed for you. I can see that they would need the original back first, but since it's LandsEnd brand, what does it matter where you bought it or if you have a receipt? I can also see them refusing to send a larger size (although I think it would be great and good business if they did) on the premise that they only need to guarantee the original item, not upgrade it.

I had a zipper break on one of their jackets a very long time ago--maybe as long as 15 year ago? It was a couple of years old at that point. And when I asked about getting a new zipper or something the phone order person said, send it in and we'll send you a new jacket. And they did.

Catherine

I never asked to upgrade the size even. I plan to hand this down to DS2 in a few years, so I still need the medium.

It's okay and works. It's the zipper pull that broke off and we bought a fun pull and it's working fine. Now, it's more about the point of the guarantee than anything. I might post on their FB wall :). I might wait until August and call back then when they have their new stock of coats in and see if I can make it happen.

And, I do wonder if I have the receipt. I have a big pile of stuff to sort through and there is a chance it's in there. It's in the right time frame.

tylersmama
03-03-2010, 08:42 PM
If you have Twitter, you could tweet about it. I complained on Twitter that I tried to call the LE department at my local Sears and didn't get any answer, and almost immediately got a message from them asking for more details. :p

crl
03-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Okay, I'm a little slow today. The issue is the lack of a receipt? And since it was purchased at Sears they can't look up the receipt? Seems like it wouldn't be worth the bad pr.

Catherine

alien_host
03-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Okay, I'm a little slow today. The issue is the lack of a receipt? And since it was purchased at Sears they can't look up the receipt? Seems like it wouldn't be worth the bad pr.

Catherine

Unfortunately Sears only keeps the receipt info for a particular transaction on the system for 3-6 months. Then they reuse the transaction number and it becomes harder to return. I don't think Sears' system is good at keeping track, I seriously doubt that Sears could locate a purchase from a few years ago.

tiapam
03-03-2010, 10:16 PM
I had two Lands End children coats that were not used with the tags still on that I bought a year or two ago at a low price. It was the sports squall. I just wanted it in a bigger size, but since they don't have the same exact jacket in stock (the colors have been changed) they would only give me the lowest selling price back. They said they could not exchange it for a new sports squall jacket in a bigger size.

This to me makes perfect sense. It sounds like you tried to guess what size you would need and were wrong. This happens to me all the time. I keep my receipts and just return, but I usually shop online or in an outlet. I can't quite tell from your post, but I would not expect my bad guess to be LE's problem. FWIW, I have never had a problem returning to the outlet.

alien_host
03-03-2010, 10:20 PM
One thing that has helped me in buying ahead is to keep the receipt paper clipped to the original tags. That way if it doesn't work I don't have to hunt through mounds of receipts to find it. For shoes (which I rarely buy ahead, I but I do buy LE watershoes on sale), I stick the original receipt in the box).

mytwosons
03-03-2010, 10:48 PM

I was told the same thing last year. I've been trying to only order online (saving the email confirmation) and if I find a good deal at Sears, I save my receipt. FWIW, years ago, I ordered some blinds online, which then broke. When I contacted them about replacement, they couldn't find the purchase on my online account, so couldn't do anything for me. Since then, I have never deleted an email confirmation from LE.

athompson
03-03-2010, 11:06 PM
To avoid all of the back and forth, where did you buy it, when did you buy it etc., here is what I have done in the past (most recently two weeks ago and received replacement last week). I mailed the item back to them (return address is on their site) with a letter stating what I'm not satisfied with and what I'd like done about it (replacement, refund, credit). Most recently I did this with a 3T jacket that had a faulty zipper. I received a replacement within ten days. Worth a shot, I doubt they'd send the old jacket back to you. I had no receipt.

I never asked to upgrade the size even. I plan to hand this down to DS2 in a few years, so I still need the medium.

It's okay and works. It's the zipper pull that broke off and we bought a fun pull and it's working fine. Now, it's more about the point of the guarantee than anything. I might post on their FB wall :). I might wait until August and call back then when they have their new stock of coats in and see if I can make it happen.

And, I do wonder if I have the receipt. I have a big pile of stuff to sort through and there is a chance it's in there. It's in the right time frame.

DrSally
03-03-2010, 11:11 PM
That doesn't sound typical. I'm sorry. I buy LE stuff at Sears all the time. Last time I bought ahead for next year I was worried about getting sizing right, they told me I could return stuff "indefinitely" if I had a receipt. Are you saying it's only 90 days at Sears without a receipt, or with a receipt as well?

I hope you can get it sorted out. At least they could pay for a repair for you. I agree with others about using the social media sites to see if you can get more of a response.

KrisM
03-03-2010, 11:13 PM
One thing that has helped me in buying ahead is to keep the receipt paper clipped to the original tags. That way if it doesn't work I don't have to hunt through mounds of receipts to find it. For shoes (which I rarely buy ahead, I but I do buy LE watershoes on sale), I stick the original receipt in the box).

I did that, but then took it off when he started wearing the coat :). I never really thought I'd need the receipt 2 years after he started wearing the coat, you know?

KrisM
03-03-2010, 11:15 PM
That doesn't sound typical. I'm sorry. I buy LE stuff at Sears all the time. Last time I bought ahead for next year I was worried about getting sizing right, they told me I could return stuff "indefinitely" if I had a receipt. Are you saying it's only 90 days at Sears without a receipt, or with a receipt as well?

I hope you can get it sorted out. At least they could pay for a repair for you. I agree with others about using the social media sites to see if you can get more of a response.

Not for this coat, but in the past when I tried to return something past 90 days at Sears (for an item bought at Sears) when I had the receipt, I was told I would have to call and mail it back to them at my cost. Considering I was wanting to return a bathing suit I got on super clearance for around $5, it didn't make sense for me to pay to mail it to LE to get $5 back. I just gave it to a friend.

So, I could return, but not at Sears.

KrisM
03-03-2010, 11:16 PM
To avoid all of the back and forth, where did you buy it, when did you buy it etc., here is what I have done in the past (most recently two weeks ago and received replacement last week). I mailed the item back to them (return address is on their site) with a letter stating what I'm not satisfied with and what I'd like done about it (replacement, refund, credit). Most recently I did this with a 3T jacket that had a faulty zipper. I received a replacement within ten days. Worth a shot, I doubt they'd send the old jacket back to you. I had no receipt.

Good idea!

August Mom
03-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Not for this coat, but in the past when I tried to return something past 90 days at Sears (for an item bought at Sears) when I had the receipt, I was told I would have to call and mail it back to them at my cost. Considering I was wanting to return a bathing suit I got on super clearance for around $5, it didn't make sense for me to pay to mail it to LE to get $5 back. I just gave it to a friend.

So, I could return, but not at Sears.

I think this is incorrect (probably showing that different Sears stores and/or SAs treat these returns differently) because I have returned LE with a receipt to Sears after 90 days. I believe I've returned a year later but definitely between 6 months and a year. The PP is right that the system reuses the receipt # so it's a PITB to do a return like this, but somehow a supervisor can process the return. They always take my driver's license and then enter that info into the system and then somehow process my return. I have never needed to return without a receipt but I could see how that would make things a lot more difficult.

KrisM
03-04-2010, 12:09 AM
I think this is incorrect (probably showing that different Sears stores and/or SAs treat these returns differently) because I have returned LE with a receipt to Sears after 90 days. I believe I've returned a year later but definitely between 6 months and a year. The PP is right that the system reuses the receipt # so it's a PITB to do a return like this, but somehow a supervisor can process the return. They always take my driver's license and then enter that info into the system and then somehow process my return. I have never needed to return without a receipt but I could see how that would make things a lot more difficult.

Huh. I wish it were the same across the board.

gatorsmom
03-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Kris, I'm surprised by this. I think you should call back and speak to someone else. I've returned plenty of things and had wonderful customer service. Last year the zipper on Gator's backpack wripped in one spot. I had purchased it 18 months before. I called them and whined about getting more use out of it than just one year. I also whined because we had purchased the matching lunch box to go with it. They allowed me to pick out a new back pack and matching lunchbox to go with the new one. That made Gator's day! But, I did have to speak to 3 different CS reps before I found one who offered us that deal. The first 2 said we were SOOL about the nonmatching lunchbox. And I didn't have any of the original paperwork or receipt but they found my order i their system.

KrisM
03-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Kris, I'm surprised by this. I think you should call back and speak to someone else. I've returned plenty of things and had wonderful customer service. Last year the zipper on Gator's backpack wripped in one spot. I had purchased it 18 months before. I called them and whined about getting more use out of it than just one year. I also whined because we had purchased the matching lunch box to go with it. They allowed me to pick out a new back pack and matching lunchbox to go with the new one. That made Gator's day! But, I did have to speak to 3 different CS reps before I found one who offered us that deal. The first 2 said we were SOOL about the nonmatching lunchbox. And I didn't have any of the original paperwork or receipt but they found my order i their system.

I think the difference is you ordered online. They have no proof that I didn't buy this at a garage sale or something. I try again in the summer and argue for an exchange.

I'm glad they replaced both the backpack and lunch box for Gator!

gatorsmom
03-04-2010, 12:35 AM
I think the difference is you ordered online. They have no proof that I didn't buy this at a garage sale or something. I try again in the summer and argue for an exchange.

I'm glad they replaced both the backpack and lunch box for Gator!

You must be right about the online thing. I did have to push back though to get it. And I got upset on the last call. Not on purpose, I was just frustrated!

I'm sorry you didn't have the greatest experience. That's irritating.

arivecchi
03-04-2010, 11:42 AM
I would be tempted to write on the LE Facebook wall that you're having trouble returning an item under the guarantee.:yeahthat: This is what I would do.

alien_host
03-04-2010, 11:49 AM
I did that, but then took it off when he started wearing the coat :). I never really thought I'd need the receipt 2 years after he started wearing the coat, you know?

Good point, but I'm thinking of keeping an envelope in DD's closet with receipts for all LE and LLBean items, since they have "generous" return policies with some sort of "guarantee". It seems like one needs a receipt to take advantage of the "guarantee" so going forward I might hold on to them (and right now I have a Terrible track record of keeping receipts organized!).

Smillow
03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
But what if it was a gift? The "Guarantee. Period." policy should apply regardless - I would call back & pretend you don't know where it was purchased as it was a gift... Good luck!

arivecchi
03-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Also, I would e-mail this thread to a LE Customer Service manager.

cheaperthanmost
03-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Seriously? How can people return things after having them 2 or 3 years. I thought i had heard everything, but obviously i have not!

TwinFoxes
03-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Seriously? How can people return things after having them 2 or 3 years. I thought i had heard everything, but obviously i have not!

I can kind of see your point, but LE makes a big deal about their unconditional guarantee.

http://www.landsend.com/aboutus/guaranteed/index.html

I looked all over the website, and couldn't find ANYTHING about "except if you didn't buy it directly from us". There's not even an asterisk after "Guaranteed, period" indicating there might be exceptions. Personally I wouldn't try to return something after two years because of a broken zipper pull, but if they're going to say "Guaranteed, period" they should take it back (although I don't think they're under any obligation to give you a different size, to me that's just being greedy. They aren't going to outfit your kids indefinitely.)

shawnandangel
03-04-2010, 01:42 PM
I can kind of see your point, but LE makes a big deal about their unconditional guarantee.

I looked all over the website, and couldn't find ANYTHING about "except if you didn't buy it directly from us". There's not even an asterisk after "Guaranteed, period" indicating there might be exceptions. Personally I wouldn't try to return something after two years because of a broken zipper pull, but if they're going to say "Guaranteed, period" they should take it back (although I don't think they're under any obligation to give you a different size, to me that's just being greedy. They aren't going to outfit your kids indefinitely.)

Right. The OP said she wanted to hand down the coat to her younger DC. If a company claims to stand behind their merchandise undconditionally, then that is what they should do. Thanks for posting this thread OP. I won't be shopping from a company that refuses to keep its word.

cheaperthanmost
03-04-2010, 08:23 PM
it absolutely amazes me the people that want something for nothing. Nevermind that you have had the product for three years. Yep the world owes you everything. I know people that cruise the thrift stores for just those kind of products and then call customer service demanding a refund or exchange. That kind of behavior only costs the consumer more in higher prices. Come on people take some responsibility for yourselves!!!!

KrisM
03-04-2010, 08:38 PM

I paid more for a higher quality coat that comes with an "unconditional" guarantee so that it would last 3-4 years total. I don't want to buy a coat every year and I don't want to buy a new coat for DS2.

I never considered sizing up, unless they offered it as an exchange because it's what they had in stock. DS2 will eventually be in this size and it's to be for him.

I would not return something that broken because of something "I" did to it, but a zipper pull? DS is 5 years old - how hard can he pull on it? I didn't take wire clippers to it. I expect it to last more than 1.5 winters of use.

KrisM
03-04-2010, 08:39 PM
it absolutely amazes me the people that want something for nothing. Nevermind that you have had the product for three years. Yep the world owes you everything. I know people that cruise the thrift stores for just those kind of products and then call customer service demanding a refund or exchange. That kind of behavior only costs the consumer more in higher prices. Come on people take some responsibility for yourselves!!!!

If you buy a new car and the engine dies at 1.5 years and 20,000 miles, will you take them up on their warranty of 36,000 miles or just say "oh well, I drove it for 18 months, I guess I'll buy a new one". seriously, you wouldn't take them up on something the company offers? You'd buy the new car, right.

ETA: I am offended that you are implying that I bought this at a thrift store and am trying to do something unethical. Above, I even linked to my post from 3 years ago when I bought the jacket. Do you think I wrote that just so that I could exchange it in 3 years? I do not understand why you think I'm doing anything wrong, since it's LE, not me, who made their policy.

neeleymartin
03-04-2010, 08:51 PM

are you serious?!?! if so, you need your head examined!!

you pay good money for an item from a company with an "unconditional" guarantee and then they don't stand behind it.

your response is rude and unhelpful.

TwinFoxes
03-04-2010, 09:11 PM
I paid more for a higher quality coat that comes with an "unconditional" guarantee so that it would last 3-4 years total. I don't want to buy a coat every year and I don't want to buy a new coat for DS2.

I never considered sizing up, unless they offered it as an exchange because it's what they had in stock. DS2 will eventually be in this size and it's to be for him.

I would not return something that broken because of something "I" did to it, but a zipper pull? DS is 5 years old - how hard can he pull on it? I didn't take wire clippers to it. I expect it to last more than 1.5 winters of use.

Maybe you misunderstood my post that you quoted. I said if a company says "Guaranteed, period" they should take back your coat. I also said there's no mention anywhere on their site that you had to buy it from them. When I said I wouldn't take it back (and I was bolded) I wouldn't. It's not worth MY time, but I think the company should take it back. I was agreeing with you.

Another poster stated she exchanged her coat for a larger size, that's what I was referring to.

KrisM
03-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Maybe you misunderstood my post that you quoted. I said if a company says "Guaranteed, period" they should take back your coat. I also said there's no mention anywhere on their site that you had to buy it from them. When I said I wouldn't take it back (and I was bolded) I wouldn't. It's not worth MY time, but I think the company should take it back. I was agreeing with you.

Another poster stated she exchanged her coat for a larger size, that's what I was referring to.

Sorry. I meant to quote the quote you replied to, not you. I understood you have no problem with that. I mean to quote this:
"Seriously? How can people return things after having them 2 or 3 years. I thought i had heard everything, but obviously i have not!"

DrSally
03-04-2010, 09:24 PM

That was uncalled for. The OP did not buy her item at a thrift store and then demand an exchange. I personally don't know anyone who would do that. She isn't asking for something for nothing. Merely, asking for LE to fulfill their stated guarantee policy. Part of the reason people buy LE and LLB is the quality and guarantee. Things like winter coats should be able to be handed down to the next child.

shawnandangel
03-04-2010, 09:37 PM

Your response us unhelpful and inflammatory. The OP does not want something for nothing. She wants a company to stand behind their name and their guarentee. Responsiblility for oneself? Like treating others as you would want to be treated? Maybe you should take your own advice.

TwinFoxes
03-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Sorry. I meant to quote the quote you replied to, not you. I understood you have no problem with that. I mean to quote this:
"Seriously? How can people return things after having them 2 or 3 years. I thought i had heard everything, but obviously i have not!"

Cool. Whew! :)

KrisM
03-06-2010, 10:22 PM
I did post on the LE facebook page. I was contacted by an admin and was offered an exchange. They didn't have anything comparable in stock and I was told I can wait until they restock in the fall to do the exchange. I'm quite happy with that outcome. Thanks for suggesting it!

arivecchi
03-06-2010, 10:26 PM
I did post on the LE facebook page. I was contacted by an admin and was offered an exchange. They didn't have anything comparable in stock and I was told I can wait until they restock in the fall to do the exchange. I'm quite happy with that outcome. Thanks for suggesting it! Woot! Woot! :bouncy: See, FB is not all evil. :ROTFLMAO:

gatorsmom
03-07-2010, 03:32 AM

I just saw this. What a great outcome for you! :cheerleader1:

Andi98989
03-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Yay!!!! Glad it is working out!