PDA

View Full Version : Chicken and Dumplings with frozen dumplings?

Melaine
03-03-2010, 11:00 AM
I have some chicken breasts and these: http://www.homadefoods.com/toppings.aspx frozen dumplings. Does anyone know how to make chicken and dumplings from those? Or do I need a whole chicken to stew? I'm clueless on this....thanks for any advice.

karstmama
03-03-2010, 11:17 AM
their tea biscuits are good!

ok, chicken breasts will work. you can give them a quickie saute or not. anyway, shred or cut them & bring them to simmer in some stock or 'better than bullion' or other chicken base. add some sliced or shredded carrots, fine chopped onion, and either sliced celery or celery seed. season like you want - maybe salt, pepper, garlic, whatever sounds good. mushrooms would be fine.

it needs to be fairly loose, like soup, and a bit strongly seasoned. when that's cooked, lay the dumplings on & continue to boil/simmer for the time recommended. the dumplings will thicken up the chicken broth. if it starts out too tight, the end result will taste fine but be sludgy & the dumplings might stick together. still, it will taste fine!

let us know how it ends up.

Melaine
03-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Thank you! I have carrots and onions so that sounds great.

karstmama
03-03-2010, 11:52 AM
mama said actually you need a hard boil before laying the dumplings in. that stirs them & helps keep them from sticking. she also wanted me to stress that the veggies are for a bit of flavor & color but aren't in big quantities.

Melaine
03-03-2010, 03:10 PM
mama said actually you need a hard boil before laying the dumplings in. that stirs them & helps keep them from sticking. she also wanted me to stress that the veggies are for a bit of flavor & color but aren't in big quantities.

Ok thanks. I will be trying it in a couple hours!

karstmama
03-05-2010, 02:54 PM
well...? how was it? how did you tweak it for your family? that's often interesting - how people make recipes their own.

Melaine
03-05-2010, 04:43 PM
It was GOOD! :-) I did exactly what you said but at the end I felt it was running low on liquid so I added a can of cream of chicken soup that I just had. It was very yummy, we had it again last night. It will definitely go into the rotation and we'll have it again. I thought the frozen dumplings were very good although I had trouble separating them from frozen.

Thanks karstmama for the specifics!!!