PDA

View Full Version : Help me tame my wiggly baby

he's here!
03-03-2010, 11:10 AM
My son is 9 months old now and for the past 2 months changing him/getting him dressed has become a nightmare! He is constantly in motion, constantly exploring, and frankly stronger than I am. I have tried changing him on a changing table - he thinks it is great fun to flip over and immediately try to dive off the edge. I have tried changing him on the bed - same issue but he leaves a trail of poop as he goes. I have tried changing him on the floor - same trail of poop but he immediately tries to crawl towards something he isn't supposed to have (like anything electrical, the computer, the rolling desk chair, etc). I have tried changing him on my lap but he pushes, hits, and then manages to escape. Toys don't work - he threw his favorite one across the room to try to suck on his shoes and the wipes box at the same time this morning - let along a song or talking to him about what we are doing. It can take upwards of 30 minutes to get him changed and dressed, depending on how much luck I have that day, including 5+ minutes of (unintended) diaper free time as I try to get it on him.

I try not to get angry at him - I love his curious nature - but sometimes I get so frustrated that I put him down for a nap just so I can close the door and not have to deal with it for a few minutes. Other times I admit that I wait for Daddy to come home to do it if it isn't going to be that long. Clearly I'm not very good at this mom thing. Maybe someone out there might be able to help?

Thank you.

SnuggleBuggles
03-03-2010, 11:31 AM
The best I can tell you is that this is a normal phase and usually not too long. :) Maybe find a special toy that only comes out during diaper changes? We had some musical Elmo toy that ds1 just loved.

Have absolutely everything ready. Stick with the floor. It might be messy (though, ime, it isn't) but it is safer.

GL!!!

Beth

sunshine873
03-03-2010, 11:43 AM
I am so there with you!

A friend recommend the leg-hold down method. I use this from time to time along with a toy for diaper changes only. I lay her down on the floor with me on my butt facing her side. Then I put my leg that is closest to her head over her abdomen and use it to hold her down while I change her diaper, pants, etc.

It's kind of awkward at first, but sometimes it's all that works. Good luck!

bigpassport
03-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I don't have any advice, but wanted to let you know that I sympathize. DS is the same age. We have a Cooshee changer and the steep sides help to keep DS in place while changing his diaper, although he still manages to flip over once in a while. It definitely helps to give him a toy while I'm changing his diaper. We still do the diapers on the changing table. As to changing his clothes, we do that on the floor and its a wrestling match. He constantly flips over onto his tummy. Sometimes, rather than flipping him back and putting him in front of me, I go to where he is and put his clothes on him while he is tummy side down the best I can. I consider it my morning workout:wink2:

WatchingThemGrow
03-03-2010, 12:26 PM
I have a collection of little grabby toys for changing time, plus a pull-down musical toy that stuns him for a second. It doesn't last forever. Giggling and talking to him while working light lightning helps also.

crl
03-03-2010, 12:36 PM
A friend recommend the leg-hold down method. I use this from time to time along with a toy for diaper changes only. I lay her down on the floor with me on my butt facing her side. Then I put my leg that is closest to her head over her abdomen and use it to hold her down while I change her diaper, pants, etc.

It's kind of awkward at first, but sometimes it's all that works. Good luck!

Yep, a friend of mine named it the WWF style diaper change after watching me do this with DS.

Catherine

ThreeofUs
03-03-2010, 12:46 PM
I use toys, generally, to distract DS2. I have a whole basket of old/cleaned medicine dispensers, ear thermometers, etc. that interest him.

But there's nothing that will make him stay sometimes - and sometimes he just HAS to stay put. Lean over his chest-tummy area with your body only touching lightly, if at all, and he won't be able to get up. This also works with a leg over, as a pp suggested, but we don't diaper on the floor!

ETA: blowing raspberries or just tickly breath on his tummy also works to distract him from getting up - then a kiss and a toy to follow up will generally complete the distraction.

GL!