PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the Container Store is $$$?

infomama
03-03-2010, 11:22 AM
I have almost $200 in my cart (and that is after a 20% off code).
Two things...my DF (who is not cheap) says I'm nutso..that the CS is crazy $$. Also, I am thinking about driving the 2 1/2 hour trek to the store to avoid the $45 in shipping. That part makes *me* think I am nutso.

What do you think??

egoldber
03-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I do think the Container Store is VERY expensive. That said, they have cool stuff and sometimes they are the only game in town. But sometimes other stores carry similar or even the exact same product. So I tend to use them more for ideas and then look other places for similar items: office supply stores, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Ikea, Home Depot, etc.

But I do admit that sometimes I don't care and I just spend it because it's easier and they have exactly what I want in exactly the right shape and size.

infomama
03-03-2010, 11:27 AM
they have exactly what I want in exactly the right shape and size.
Yes..this all started with the Expedit/CS thread.

KrisM
03-03-2010, 11:29 AM
I think they're expensive. But, sometimes I just want what they have an I have no luck finding something similar elsewhere for cheaper.

I do have the bins for my Expedit and LOVE them :).

boolady
03-03-2010, 11:32 AM
I do think the Container Store is VERY expensive. That said, they have cool stuff and sometimes they are the only game in town.

:yeahthat: It is the only place I have really found lunch containers for all of us that I really like, so I'm willing to fork it over for those. Otherwise, I try to find things elsewhere.

schrocat
03-03-2010, 01:26 PM
I think it is expensive but I love walking through the store and thinking of all the organizing possibilities out there with the stuff they sell. I have noticed some items there that are very marked up that could be bought for alot less at Daiso and Muji type stores.

AnnieW625
03-03-2010, 01:41 PM
We did an Elfa closet system for DD's closet and we love it! We want to do them for the other small closets in our home too. We got the system last year during the 20% off sale. I have also bought odds and ends (drawer organizers, sweater bags (love those), a mop, some gift wrap, and Christmas gifts) there over the years and have been happy with it. We also looked at Ikea closet systems and found them to be comparably priced, but chose Container Store because of the coupon and we really liked the no pressure sales, and their computer set up was quite helpful. We paid just under $400 for the whole closet system if I remember correctly. Yes it's more than say a set from Target, but it's really well made stuff. Our three other closests are much smaller so would cost a lot less.

As nice as the sales people are at Ikea I just never get that we're really willing to help you fix your problem as the people at Container Store were.

sste
03-03-2010, 01:47 PM
They are expensive relative to substitutes (ikea, target) as others have noted. But they are not expensive in terms of the value the Container store brings to my life! I seem to spend $75 or more every time I walk in there but I can't think of dollars spent that have made me so happy. I do not have the time or inclinination to run from store to store and I really appreciate the staff at the CS - - if you go there in person and tell them your problem they will take you around the store and show you multiple different "solutions." They also encourage you to buy, see if it works for what you need or what works best, and return.

ETA: The container store has also saved me thousands and thousands of dollar b/c it enabled DH and I to make the best use of our space and live in a smaller place for longer. Goodness, the more I write I realize I should be working for these people!

wellyes
03-03-2010, 01:54 PM
It's expensive but good - especially the closet consultants who will help you with your design. We had a really really weirdly shaped closet and they were brilliant at offering lots of ideas for possible configurations.

But I can't think of anything I'd spend $45 shipping on there. If the 2.5 hour drive is round trip, MAAAYBE. Otherwise, no way.

Don't the Target Itso containers work just as well in Expedits?

sue_g
03-03-2010, 01:55 PM
I have almost $200 in my cart (and that is after a 20% off code).
Two things...my DF (who is not cheap) says I'm nutso..that the CS is crazy $$. Also, I am thinking about driving the 2 1/2 hour trek to the store to avoid the $45 in shipping. That part makes *me* think I am nutso.

What do you think??

Do you mind if I ask what the coupon code is for 20% off and yes, I think they are expensive too.

deborah_r
03-03-2010, 02:10 PM
I've only been there a couple times and always had the impression they were expensive. I was surprised when I saw all the recommendations here...but now I have been through so many products form other places that I thought would solve my storage needs and haven't, so if their stuff makes the most sense, I am willing to pay more!

Fairy
03-03-2010, 02:11 PM
The Container Store is way the hell overpriced. But it's good stuff, and i'm willing to pay that price for the stuff I love there. You won't catch me buying holiday wrap there, but other stuff I do fork it over for.

o_mom
03-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Yes, expensive. Sometimes I can find the same stuff cheaper, but sometimes I can't find it elsewhere at all. I only get to one a few times each year, so usually by the time I'm going there I have looked all the usual places (Target, Walmart, Meijer, IKEA, etc.). I feel like if I haven't found it by then, I just need to either pay the CS price or go without.

jgenie
03-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Yes, they are expensive and before DC I would have run all over town from store to store to find the same containers for less. Now that I have DC, I will gladly pay a bit more to get everything at one store. They have a click and pick up program. You can order whatever you want online and pick it up at the store without having to get out of your car. This service is sooooo worth the extra money in my book.

May I ask where you found a coupon? :D

codex57
03-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Super expensive.

We're too cheap to buy from them so far, but with the kiddies getting bigger and acquiring more stuff, we may have to. They're expensive, but the quality is good and they have some stuff you just can't get elsewhere. I don't think Target is gonna cut it for us too much longer.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-03-2010, 03:01 PM
i LOOVE the container store but i agree they are somewhat expensive. However, i do shop there a lot as there are some things there that i cannot get anywhere else, and they do have a lot of extremely useful stuff, that makes it worth the $$ IMO. we have two elfa systems in our house (scrapbooking center and garage) and they are great.

garnetgirl
03-03-2010, 03:18 PM
It helps a little if you have a Discover card and use your rewards balance to request gift cards. You can redeem $20 in rewards for a $25 Container Store gift card or redeem $40 for a $50 card. (If you search partners at the Discover rewards section, it's under "T" for The Container Store.)

niccig
03-03-2010, 03:32 PM
I think they're expensive. But, sometimes I just want what they have an I have no luck finding something similar elsewhere for cheaper.

I do have the bins for my Expedit and LOVE them :).

:yeahthat: DS's toys were the bane of my day. There were all over the place, despite having the Expedit shelves and containers. The containers didn't fit the space or the size of the toys. Now everything is nicely organized and DS CAN do it himself. The toys are in our family room, the most used room and I have to walk through there to get from the kitchen to the bedrooms. I no longer trip over all the toys or deal with the eyesore of toys just thrown on the shelves. The price was worth it.

You can also get things on sale. I wanted an overdoor shoe holder and the container store sale price was cheaper than the Target price.

They have a sale on now for office supplies, it's until the end of March. I need to do our closet with shelves that has office supplies/electronic gadgets, so I can get a deal on what I want.

WatchingThemGrow
03-03-2010, 05:16 PM
I started a thread about them earlier. Will you guys please reply the this thread (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=352244&highlight=container) about your favorite items from there? Thanks!

infomama
03-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks guys. The trip is 2.5 hours ONE WAY. Still on the fence about it all. BTW...the 20% off code I used is WR0210.

sue_g
03-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks guys. The trip is 2.5 hours ONE WAY. Still on the fence about it all. BTW...the 20% off code I used is WR0210.

Thank you. Do you happen to know when it expires?

KrisM
03-03-2010, 10:17 PM

I wouldn't do that drive to save on shipping, unless I was over that way anyhow. If you go, call to be sure they have what you want in-stock!

Would you be able to use the 20% at the store? If not and you're buying $250 of stuff, it's a wash - Saving $45 in shipping, but costing $50 more.

DrSally
03-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Yes, I think CS is pretty expensive. I only buy things there that I can't buy anywhere else.