PDA

View Full Version : Postpartum Depression/Depression Question

jjjo1112
03-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Posting has been deleted

truly scrumptious
03-03-2010, 12:09 PM
No BTDT, but just wanted to give you :hug:

I think the most obvious sign of PPD is thoughts of hurting yourself or DC. I am sure there are other signs and maybe someone else will have more insight.

It doesn't sound to me like you are having PPD, from the rest of your post. HOWEVER, I do think you'd benefit from talking to someone - a therapist or counselor. It doesn't really matter that you wouldn't know where to start - they would be able to guide to to discover what is bothering you. It may not hurt to reach out to your OB - if they can't help, I am sure they can point you in the right direction. Even if you are *just* feeling overwhelmed (because there is nothing minor about being overwhelmed) it can help to get some support - in ways you are not currently getting it - and have someone to talk to.

Good luck - and we're here if you need us.

jse107
03-03-2010, 12:10 PM
I knew it was more than just being overwhlemed when I couldn't successfully use any of the coping strategies that should work. I felt on-edge all the time and close to tears (so not me). Even when I was out of the house and away from the kids, it was still hard for me to pull myself together.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to talk to your doctor.

Here are some online screening tools:
http://health.utah.gov/mihp/pdf/EPDS.pdf

http://www.depression-screening.org/screeningtest/screeningtest.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression/MH00103_D

HTH! I know meds helped me TREMENDOUSLY, but they are not for everyone.

maydaymommy
03-03-2010, 12:16 PM
I felt vERY detached frm ds1 and burdened by the guilt I felt for not doing everything just right or providing an enriching environment every waking moment. Lots of self-imposed pressure to do motherhood "better."

Mostly it was the lack of affection/connection I felt.

DebbieJ
03-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Anger was my #1 symptom. It is possible that you have PPD, even a year later. I am confident that I had PPD with DS1, but it went undiagnosed for a LONG time. I eventually went on meds when he was ~4 yo. Because it wasn't treated at the beginning, it just got worse and worse and blossomed into regular depression.

Now with DS2, my midwife and I watched it very closely after he was born and I started meds when he was 2 weeks old. I have had a MUCH different (better) newborn experience with him.

There is no harm in talking to someone about it. Getting help will make you a better mommy.

jse107
03-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Now with DS2, my midwife and I watched it very closely after he was born and I started meds when he was 2 weeks old. I have had a MUCH different (better) newborn experience with him.

Yes to this too.

ThreeofUs
03-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Congratulations on your new little one!

You certainly have reason to feel overwhelmed, but just in case, why not talk to your doc about it?

PPD can manifest as everything from feeling overwhelmed (just as you describe it) to anxiety to classic "depression" symptoms (like feeling sad) and everything in between.

Talking about it can only help you and your family.

GL and (((hugs)))

noodle
03-03-2010, 12:44 PM
First of all, big hugs.

Talk to your OB first (or with whomever it is you're most comfortable). If s/he can't help you, s/he will certainly have some advice about who can.

Irritability and anger are my most pronounced symptoms. I don't really have "sadness" as an issue at all, and I never had thoughts of hurting my child. I had PPD (which became pretty severe depression and anxiety) with my first child but went undiagnosed and untreated. I got help (sort of accidentally) when he was 2 and I started seeing a doctor who figured it out. I started treatment (meds and therapy) sort of grudgingly. Within six weeks, everyone in my life could see the difference.

With my second child I went off meds for the pregnancy and felt great. My regular doctor saw me for a mental health check-in every few weeks (sometimes we did it over the phone), and after the baby was born I saw him every week. Went back on meds at 5 weeks post partum when we both felt I was falling back into mood problems.

What I most regret is that I didn't know to get help the first time around. I would have been a better mother. I am vigilant now about protecting and fostering my mental (and physical) health. A healthy and happy mom is the best gift I can give my children.

Good luck to you. Call today.

:hug:

DebbieJ
03-03-2010, 01:12 PM
What I most regret is that I didn't know to get help the first time around. I would have been a better mother.

:yeahthat:

I had even asked my MW's and our childbirth educator and they all chalked it up to normal mom exhaustion and transition. :(

srhs
03-03-2010, 01:14 PM
You might find this thread on PP anxiety helpful. PPD really didn't fit me, but the anxiety did. Same course of treatment.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=341911&highlight=postpartum+anxiety

jjjo1112
03-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I did speak to the RN at my OB's office today and she felt like it wouldn't be classified as PPD because my youngest just turned 1. I did mention that I have been feeling like this for the past 6 months and have just now come to the realization that I don't think this is normal for me. She gave me the numbers for some psychiatrists in the area to call. Interestingly enough, when I was speaking to her we ended up talking about birth control and about 7 months ago I had the mirena put in. She thought that might be the culprit and thought that I should have it removed before seeking other treatment. So I might end up trying that first.