PDA

View Full Version : Another twins potty training question....

gatorsmom
03-03-2010, 12:29 PM
I just logged on to ask a question of the multiples moms about potty training and i see that Twinfoxes was thinking the same way!! LOL

For you moms of multiples who've already survived this stage, did you potty train your multiples at the same time or separately? Any tips or thoughts on how to make the process easier? Just thinking I might try this summer...

TIA!

ETA- I've already potty trained my older 2 boys so the actual potty training process is not new to me. It's the fact that I have 2 kids of the same age that is making me think there might be some important points to know about before I begin this endeavor.

fivi2
03-03-2010, 12:37 PM
well, mine did pt at the same time, but really they have hit every milestone within a few days of each other. I know not all identicals are like that (and your are fraternal) but my girls really do everything at the same time.

So for us, it worked. For you, with fraternals, and a g/b set at that... it may or may not work out that way for you.

as far as making it easier... no real advice. You have done this before so you know the basics! Wrestling both in a bathroom stall (esp when they hate public restrooms) isn't fun, but I am sure you have btdt!

honestly, we just waited a while. Mine we pt'd at home way before they went without dipes in public. We had it pretty easy though - they really just decided they were done with diapers and that was it.

good luck!

gatorsmom
03-03-2010, 12:52 PM
well, mine did pt at the same time, but really they have hit every milestone within a few days of each other. I know not all identicals are like that (and your are fraternal) but my girls really do everything at the same time.

So for us, it worked. For you, with fraternals, and a g/b set at that... it may or may not work out that way for you.

as far as making it easier... no real advice. You have done this before so you know the basics! Wrestling both in a bathroom stall (esp when they hate public restrooms) isn't fun, but I am sure you have btdt!

honestly, we just waited a while. Mine we pt'd at home way before they went without dipes in public. We had it pretty easy though - they really just decided they were done with diapers and that was it.

good luck!

Ok, yours are girls so maybe they weren't interested in this, but I"m afraid that one of my twins will go in the potty and the other will have to watch or stare or want to touch the pee. Or poop. My twins get more independence in my house than I would like but I find that my attention is always in demand. I'm afraid that if I let one go potty and didnt' back to the pot quick enough, the other would get there first and want to play with it. ick. Is that something I need to consider or do they just seem to knnow not to do that or should I sit them on the pot on the same time?

I'm just trying to think this through and don't know what to expect, ya know? Potty training is already hard enough but 2 coming up at the same time- yikes!

gatorsmom
03-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Oh, and what do you do if you are out and about running errands and you have 2 potty emergencies? Or would it be better to get one child thoroughly potty trained so that they are used to being sat on the pot before attempting the other? I mean, did you ever go to Target and have them both yell at the same time,"I have to go potty!" I have nightmares about this! Do you take them both into the same stall and make one wait while the other goes potty or do you set them each in their own stall? do they get afraid of being alone in their own stall?

so many questions.....

fivi2
03-03-2010, 06:30 PM
lol, well I am not sure my situation is normal.

first - mine have never been into playing with their pee or poop. That wasn't an issue I ever thought about :) They do watch each other go potty all the time, but I am okay with that. They also prefer it (still) if I sitin the bathroom with them while they poop.

As far as emergencies in public, that hasn't really been an issue for us either. They both hate public potties and will hold it for hours to avoid them. On the rare occasions when both have to go, we all go in one stall (yes, usually the handicapped stall) and they take turns. Neither one has ever pooped in public.

So - I am no help! :)

good luck!

Melaine
03-27-2010, 09:17 AM

good luck!

:yeahthat: Except the easy part. It did take us a looooong time but mine have always been on the same page for milestones, so I didn't even consider PTing separately. Because it took them SOOOO long to PT at home, we never had any accidents (really at home or in public) only stubborn refusal to pee/poop on the potty and the uncanny ability to hold it for an entire day rather than do so.

We also had fear of the public bathrooms (or more accurately, the automatic flushing toilets). Someone here mentioned that you could carry post-it notes to put over the sensor to prevent premature flushing. I never did that, but I started draping a piece of toilet paper over the sensor and it always worked. DD2 would actually refuse to go on a public toilet for awhile if she suspected it might flush, so I would definitely start doing that from the get-go.