PDA

View Full Version : The other Oscar countdown, for those of us not going...

TwinFoxes
03-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Apparently some of us are NOT going to the Oscars this weekend (I knew breaking up with George Clooney would get me blacklisted!) But I think we'd like to discuss them just the same. Any faves? I havent seen many of the nominees :bag: but I'm definitely pulling for Kathryn Bigelow over James Cameron (I can't believe they're exes! So crazy!) I thought Vera Farmiga was great in "Up in the Air". What do you all think? Elektra, even you can respond. ;)

almostmom
03-03-2010, 01:48 PM
I just saw Precious last night and definitely think Monique should win - unbelievable. I think Inglorious Basterds and the Hurt Locker were incredible. Avatar was pretty good, but I think the Hurt Locker should win for best director. Maybe the Inglorious Basterds guy for best supporting actor - the German actor.

That's off the top of my head. I definitely haven't seen everything, but I love the Oscars. We'll be having fondue and glitter, and my in-laws over, to celebrate!

Ceepa
03-03-2010, 01:49 PM
I do not understand the love for The Hurt Locker at all. I really don't. The story and the characters were so far from compelling for me.

I really want to see Precious, but I really don't want to go through the pain. It's one of those movies I would need to brace for emotionally first.

almostmom
03-03-2010, 01:52 PM
I really found the characters incredibly compelling and challenging. I was so moved by that movie, and I never watch or like war movies. But it gave me such a perspective on what people are going through, and I just felt like the acting and directing was fabulous and really brought me in. Movies just hit different people differently--

Ceepa
03-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Yup. Movies appeal differently. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Fairy
03-03-2010, 02:32 PM
I really want to see Precious, but I really don't want to go through the pain. It's one of those movies I would need to brace for emotionally first.

Exactly. Which is why I refuse to see Precious. But some movies you can just see clips of and know everything you need to know. Which is why I'm 100% in Monique's corner. That woman deserves her Oscar, hands down.

I think Streep deserves it, followed by Gaborney. And I think Streep and Bullock will split the vote, and it'll go to Gaborney.

I'm NOT for Cameron. He's brilliant, but he's not the nicest guy ever. My feeling is that Avatar & Hurt Locker are gonna split enough votes that something else squeaks in, possibly Up in the Air. Personally, I think that
District 9 is one of the most important films of the decade, certainly the most important one of the year. People aren't giving this enough credit due to it seeming like a sci fi movie, but it was actually one an social commentary. I still think about it almost every day, I was so affected.

I have to say Go Clooney, but it will likely to go Morgan Freeman. And either one is fine by me. I love both these guys sooooo much.

I'd like to see Matt Damon get it.

Director will likely be Cameron.

Animated SHOULD go to Coraline, but it will go to Up. Also fine with me.

I'm begging for District 9 to get Adapted Screenplay, but there's no way it's not going to Precious.

TwinFoxes
03-03-2010, 02:49 PM
yeah, I'm not sure I need that sort of thing replaying in my head.

egoldber
03-03-2010, 02:52 PM
I really want to see Precious, but I really don't want to go through the pain.

Honestly, I feel this way about a LOT of movies.

I guess I'm more like my 8 year old than I care to admit. :bag

lchang25000
03-03-2010, 02:57 PM
I don't care who wins since Avatar is the only movie I've seen in over a year. I just want to see all the beautiful/interesting fashion walking down the red carpet! :D

sunshine873
03-03-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't care who wins since Avatar is the only movie I've seen in over a year. I just want to see all the beautiful/interesting fashion walking down the red carpet! :D

:yeahthat: except the only movie I saw was Blindside. Oh, I also saw Valentine's Day...but that doesn't count when we're discussing Oscars.

elektra
03-03-2010, 03:02 PM
I need to do my homework! I have only seen Avatar, but we have Hurt Locker waiting on apple tv, and we're going to try and watch it before Sunday. I really want to see Up in the Air.
I liked Avatar but for some reason I will be a bit dissapointed if it wins best picture. It just needed a little something more, IMO.
I have wanted to see Precious, but have reservations like the PP's have mentioned.