PDA

View Full Version : How to get more Vitamin D in my body?? And ??s about blood draw?

Toba
03-03-2010, 07:22 PM
I was at the doctor's office last week; I just had blood work done a few days before, and she was going over the results. I am anemic, which I knew ... I've been anemic for as long as I can remember. She was a little shocked when she got to the Vitamin D result. She said that the normal range is 30-60 and my level is 6, yes, just six (6). She asked me to get more sunlight (I have a very fair complexion) or drink some more milk. When I got home, I was going over the medication I'm on (she upped the dosage of one of them) and the main one that I'm on has a big label on it that says to avoid prolonged direct sunlight or UV rays. Huh. I can't stand milk. I can find out tomorrow or the next day, but I figured you guys would have a quick answer for me as usual. :) Can I just take Vitamin D tablets?

Also, kind of O/T, but does anybody else have problems getting blood drawn? I've been getting blood work on a pretty routine basis (at least every two weeks for the past three months or so) and I make them use a butterfly needle because I am a huge wimp. I know most of the phlebotomists because my DH is a longtime employee of this hospital. We know which ones are better than others, and even the best one can never get a vein on the first try. Never. They'll put the needle in and it will either not drop any blood at all, or just a few drops will come out and then it stops. The last two times they had to try five times each and wound up having to take it from the back of my hand (OUCH!!). This has been a long term thing for me ... when I was in the hospital years ago recovering from a horrible open gallbladder removal with complications, they had to send for a surgeon to get a central line in me two or three times (I don't know what it's called, but the site would puff up and bloat and they'd have to start a new one) ... and this was at a completely different hospital than the one DH works for. It kind of worries me, but the phlebotomists just tell me that I have low blood pressure and that I'm probably dehydrated. FYI, my cholesteral level is fine and I've had my heart checked by an awesome cardiologist because of chest pains which turned out to be anxiety/panic attacks and I had an EKG just recently and they said it was perfect. But I can't shake the feeling that never being able to find my veins or actually getting straight into a vein and then nothing comes out is BAD.

LexyLou
03-03-2010, 07:26 PM
I have MS and they are finding that people with MS have lower Vitamin D levels and have a harder time absorbing it as well.

I just had my levels tested and I'm at about 20. Wow on the 6!!

I take a teeny tiny Vitamin D3 pill every day. It has 5,000 ius of Vitamin D. You can get it anywhere but make sure it's D3, and you are getting at least 2,000 iu's a day.

These are the ones I take:

http://www.amazon.com/Biotech-Vitamin-D3-50-50-000/dp/B000A0F2B2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1267658705&sr=1-2

But you don't have to spend that much. I just like that it's one tiny pill with 5,000 IUs. It last for 250 days so even though others look cheaper, you have to take two pills to equal 5,000 and they are bigger, etc.

jren
03-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Another MSer here. First, I can't believe your doctor told you to just get more sunlight. That won't help a deficiency, you'd have to burn! I agree, take D3. I take 50,000iu per month plus 1000 per day and I'm not even deficient - mine was 50 last time I was tested.

Elilly
03-03-2010, 09:18 PM
IMO, your Dr has given you bad advice. I'd search for a new Dr. In the meantime, I'd take 5,000 IU per day.

Toba
03-03-2010, 09:36 PM
I was trying to simplify the story, but I overstated the part about the doctor. She's actually my therapist and a licensed nurse practitioner (with the ability to write scripts) ... she's also almost through with her schooling as a child psychologist. She works closely with my psychiatrist (I have severe panic disorder with severe drug resistance/tolerance) and she had just gotten the results a few moments before I saw her, so I'm sure my psychiatrist hadn't seen them yet. I see her way more often than I see the psychiatrist ... I usually only see him once a month or two.

She actually freaked me out several weeks ago because she is insisting there is something serious going on with my body because of the extreme drug resistance/tolerance. I'm actually freaking myself out now ... yet again my husband is threatening to block Google on our server. I'm calling my internist tomorrow.

catsnkid
03-04-2010, 01:44 PM
I just found out my level is 31 and my doctor is prescribing a 50000 unit caplet to take weekly until my levels get back up. They want them over 40 really- the standards for what is low have changed. I would address this ASAP with a different doctor.

lablover
03-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Wow, 6 is very low! You'll need to supplement heavy on D3 to get in a good range (40 - 50). Drinking milk is not going to do it!

A long time ago I went through a phase where the same thing happened to me with blood draws. The blood would just stop and the nurse would be perplexed and would call others in and they would just scratch their heads. This was probably 10 years ago. I never have a problem these days. The only thing that I know was different back then was that I most likely had an undiagnosed thyroid imbalance whereas now my thyroid levels are normal due to medication. I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

veronica
03-04-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm a 9 and have been for a few years. You need prescription vitamin D. Sunlight is the best way for your body to absorb it. It can be harder with foods to absorb enough. Salmon, broccoli and most greens will help.

It affects a lot of things in the body. I have been pretty bad about watching mine lately and am due for more bloodwork in May.

lovin2shop
03-04-2010, 02:31 PM
I have the same problems with blood draws. Like you, I always ask for a butterfly and it is not uncommon for me to get stuck several times and they sometimes have to move the needle around to keep blood flowing. I've been told the same thing, I have low blood pressure and dehydration is a factor. I have noticed that if I schedule my blood draws for afternoons instead of first thing in the morning and make a point of drinking water during the day, the draw goes much smoother. I understand why it bothers you, I was pretty concerned about it initially as well. But, at this point, I've been stuck by enough dr's and nurses and none of them have been too concerned, so I've let the worry go. HTH!

I also just found out I am vitamin D deficient. My doc recommended 1000 IU a day of D3. I've seen a lot of different recommendations and many are much higher, so I'm keeping an eye out on the post and might ask to get retested at some point to see if the 1000 IU is cutting it.

ETA: I also have figured out which arm has better veins, and I don't hesitate to recommend my hand if they are having a problem because my veins are more prominent there.