PDA

View Full Version : Weird Health-Related Question for Me

Indianamom2
03-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Okay, I've had a cold for a little over a week. Almost as long, I've had a very sore area kind of behind my right ear around where the base of my skull/neck meet. It hurts to turn my head to the left to look over my shoulder, and sometimes when I turn my head to the left, though not as bad. That being said, it doesn't really feel like a sore muscle. I don't think massage would help. In fact, I think it would make it feel worse.

I don't feel any lumps, but I also don't know that it's getting any better. It sort of feels like I slept on it wrong, but it's not improving even after a week.

Could it be a swollen lymph node from being sick? I usually can feel a lump when that happens. What else? Am I just weird? ;)

sariana
03-03-2010, 11:30 PM
I don't want to scare you, but I think a stiff neck is a symptom of meningitis. I think you should get to the doctor, just in case.

Most likely it is just a symptom of your cold. I get achy and sore in weird places sometimes when I am sick. Right now my right hip feels as though I ran into something hard and got a bruise, but I don't remember doing that. I was really sick last week, and that's when my hip started hurting.

BabyMine
03-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Have you had any headaches lately? If you touch the area between your lower ear and the jaw joint does it hurt? Whe my TMJ would act up I had those symptoms. Call your Dr. and tell them the symptoms and see if they want you to come in. A cold can also cause fluid to build up in your ear and casue an ear infection.

gatorsmom
03-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Okay, I've had a cold for a little over a week. Almost as long, I've had a very sore area kind of behind my right ear around where the base of my skull/neck meet. It hurts to turn my head to the left to look over my shoulder, and sometimes when I turn my head to the left, though not as bad. That being said, it doesn't really feel like a sore muscle. I don't think massage would help. In fact, I think it would make it feel worse.

I don't feel any lumps, but I also don't know that it's getting any better. It sort of feels like I slept on it wrong, but it's not improving even after a week.

Could it be a swollen lymph node from being sick? I usually can feel a lump when that happens. What else? Am I just weird? ;)

This sounds like exactly something i had a few months ago. Mine last about 10 days. I really think it was a swollen lymph node. But it seemed odd to me too, because I'd never had one that far back before. Most of mine were under my ears and around the base of my jaw.

If it hasn't gone a way in a couple more days, I'd see a doctor.

Indianamom2
03-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks ladies. Sorry it took so long to respond, but I was tired and just ended up going to bed.

I think it's feeling a bit better today. I definitely have something sinus-y happening. I've had minor headaches, but I think they're due to sinuses and starting BCP's.

To the PP that mentioned meningitis, I'm fairly sure that's not it only because I believe that you can't touch your chin to your chest with that kind of stiff neck. Also, I think the symptoms are also accompanied with a really terrible headache. But I do appreciate that concern.

My plan is to go to the Dr. if it's not better over the weekend.

clc053103
03-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks ladies. Sorry it took so long to respond, but I was tired and just ended up going to bed.

I think it's feeling a bit better today. I definitely have something sinus-y happening. I've had minor headaches, but I think they're due to sinuses and starting BCP's.

To the PP that mentioned meningitis, I'm fairly sure that's not it only because I believe that you can't touch your chin to your chest with that kind of stiff neck. Also, I think the symptoms are also accompanied with a really terrible headache. But I do appreciate that concern.

My plan is to go to the Dr. if it's not better over the weekend.

Yes, with meningitis you can't do chin to chest (I had it once). I put off going to the dr with some similar sinusey stuff that lead to laryngitis. When I went in on day 8 they told me I should have come in a week ago. So I would say, go now, you may very well need an antibiotic. I was told point blank that the sinusitis I had was only going to get worse and I never would have gotten better otherwise.