PDA

View Full Version : Seriously? Condoms for 12-14 yr olds.

Jo..
03-04-2010, 12:56 AM
I have such mixed feelings about this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7361181/Extra-small-condoms-for-12-year-old-boys-go-on-sale-in-Switzerland.html

kijip
03-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Yuck.

Reading the article however it says the survey said that 1/4 of boys 12-20 said that the standard sizes were too large for them. So I would assume that some of the market for this is older than 12-15. Most people that age are not having sexual intercourse, but there are those that do.

It guess it is better than the alternative of no condom use but of course the best alternative would be that young adolescents don't have the occasion to need condoms. Still, I suppose that condoms help to address needs caused by less than best situations.

AnnieW625
03-04-2010, 01:28 AM
I knew someone who got pregnant when she was 14 yrs. old. I don't want my daughter having sex at that age, but honestly I don't think there is any harm in teaching safe sex at 12-14 yrs. old and if it means having condoms for that age group then okay.

lalasmama
03-04-2010, 01:30 AM
I can't come up with the correct words. Part of me is lacking seriousness, and my mind went straight to the "finger condoms" used at my dad's work to prevent fingerprints on photography prints/negatives/etc. Then I thought "well, little boys have little pee-pees, so little rubbers make sense". Then I laughed at the fact they are called "Hotshots"--way to make them sound "cool".

Sadly, I know there's a market, albeit, I believe it a small market (no pun intended). Girls are having sex younger and younger. But, in my experience at work, with pregnant teens, rarely are the 13 and 14 year old girls experimenting with boys their age. Usually, its boys 3-4 years older... which (generally) means these males are likely well into puberty and would likely fit regular condoms. However, then the 16 year old male ego gets involved, and he thinks he's "HUGE" and buys "Magnum" size instead of a regular sized prophylatic.

Then we get into the other issues. Lets be realistic. As a 14 year old girl, I had issues buying pantiliners. There was no way my 14 year old boyfriend would have admitted *needing* condoms (we didn't, but the money to buy the condoms has to come from somewhere, right?). I think the lack of birth control use--especially condoms-- is related more to issues than "not small enough" in regards to teens... Things like the classic line "it just doesn't feel the same", the invinsible-teen attitude ("it can't happen to me"), no condoms = wasn't planning on sex = "crime" of passion = understandable/excusable, pure embarrassment....

I think the majority of *early* teen boys (who it sounds like they are designed for) are talking a lot more than doing. I remember reading studies that showed that teens thought 90% of teens were sexually active when it was more like 20%.

citymama
03-04-2010, 03:09 AM
It makes me sad that they need to have such a product on the market - 12 year olds should be playing soccer and climbing trees not having sex. But I guess if they are having sex, better that it's safe and protected for sure.

As a parent, I am in denial that kids are having sex as tweens - it really makes me sad. This is just a few years older than my 8 yr old niece who plays with dolls. I love that she is still a kid, and would hope she could stay that way another 8-10 years!

klwa
03-04-2010, 07:44 AM
*sigh* Having gone to the high school & middle school I went to, I KNOW the need for condoms for that age. (64 pregnancies in my 1000 person high school my 10th grade year.) Unlike a PP, most of the girls I knew who were pregnant then WERE pregnant by boys about their own age. My male cousin & his girlfriend were active in 8th grade. It's sad, but it is sometimes true.

maestramommy
03-04-2010, 07:53 AM
I know, crazy. But if 12-14 yo are really having sex, you'd want them to use protection, yknow? To prevent pregnancy if nothing else.

MelissaTC
03-04-2010, 09:06 AM
I knew someone who got pregnant when she was 14 yrs. old. I don't want my daughter having sex at that age, but honestly I don't think there is any harm in teaching safe sex at 12-14 yrs. old and if it means having condoms for that age group then okay.

I didn't know anyone pregnant at that age but knew a bunch of sexually active kids. I certainly don't want DS being sexually active at that age either but I agree with teaching kids about safe sex at that age because even if yours in not, someone else's is and many probably aren't aware of the consequences of their behavior.

Melaine
03-04-2010, 09:22 AM
I guess I am having a hard time imagining most guys that age being mature enough to actually purchase condoms and use them. I'm just wondering what I would do if I saw a child that age looking at condoms at the drugstore. YIKES.