PDA

View Full Version : My 4 year old does.not.eat

ShanaMama
03-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Not breakfast, lunch or supper. All she wants to eat is junk food. Which she doesn't get. I've tried offering a meal & if she doesn't want it she can get a plain alternative or go hungry. I've tried being the short order cook- letting her choose her meal. Which then goes into the garbage by a very annoyed mother. I don't know what to do with her anymore.

The only protein she's ever eaten is dairy- she used to love yogurt & cheeses. Now I think she's developing lactose intolerance. I'll be happy if she'll eat a grilled cheese sandwhich. Or pizza. Or french fries. JUST EAT!
Lately she's been super cranky in the afternoons (she doesn't sleep well either. Oy!) I tried explaining to her that if she doesn't eat nutritious food her body doesn't have strength. She understood it, somewhat. But, of course, no change in eating habits.
I feel like this belongs in b!tching but I am really desperate for some help.

Jenny_A
03-04-2010, 01:56 AM
I could have written your post!! DD is 4 and doesn't eat. She drinks tons of milk which I know is where she is getting her calories from. She is now complaining of stomach aches all the time.

I know I should just cut out the milk, but in the moment or momentum of the day, it's hard. I'm hoping you get some good advice from your thread.

klwa
03-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Yep. DS4 is the same way. I think he gets by on air most of the time.

khalloc
03-04-2010, 09:03 AM
My DD is 4 and not the best eater. She is very slim. She loves junk food, which she only gets if she eats her dinner. Usually its a 100-calorie pack of some kind of cookies. Anyways, I feel your pain. My DD will eat a few bites of breakfast and then complain that she cant eat more because she has a tummy ache. Then, if she has recently been sick (like puking sick), she will say "I feel like I am going to puke" for about 3-4 months after she actually was sick. Like recently there was a stomach thing going around. She puked for like 24 hours and she has used the puking excuse at least a few times a week since then.

I usually get her to eat a certain amount of dinner and then she gets her "surprise". I think its a decent amount.

One thing I know is not to make it a power struggle. I would try just letting her be. Dont give in to the snacks she wants. She'll have to eat when she's hungry, right?

Another thing that may help my DD is that she is in daycare so i think having all the other kids eating lunch at the same time encourages her to eat. She does have her meals where she is a good eater, so I try to remember that too.

clc053103
03-04-2010, 09:23 AM
There's a great program out there called Kindershape for 3-5 year olds. It runs 6 weeks and is available at many hospitals. IT teaches kids about nutrition and exercise and the results have been truly miraculous for us, even after just 1 week! It's aimed at higher BMI kids but several kids are in there because of their diet rather than size. It's an offshoot of Kidshape which is for elementary age kids. Do a google search, you may find it available at a location near your. It's inexpensive and I think scholarships are even available.

willow33
03-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Not sure if this would even help, but what about having her help you prepare her meal? Maybe she would take more of an interest in it? And maybe she would eat some while she was cooking/preparing with you?

DS1 was like this when he was younger and I remember worrying and stressing all the time. To make you feel better...he is 7 now and not a huge eater, but he does eat. He is still picky, but I think watching his younger brother has helped him try new things.