PDA

View Full Version : Best seating arrangement for family of 5 on a plane?

spanannie
03-04-2010, 01:42 AM
We always debate this . . . in a row 5 across (of course there's an aisle between) or 2 in front, 3 behind?

WatchingThemGrow
03-04-2010, 08:02 AM
I think egoldber's family puts older DD in front of younger DD to absorb the kicking when the younger one is in a carseat and can touch the seat in front of her.

We do two aisle seat for the adults (so 5 across) and one toddler/preschooler next to each of them. The baby can be passed back and forth across the aisle. We use CARES harnesses, so no kicking.

egoldber
03-04-2010, 08:17 AM
I think egoldber's family puts older DD in front of younger DD to absorb the kicking when the younger one is in a carseat and can touch the seat in front of her.

:yeahthat:

:ROTFLMAO:

g-mama
03-04-2010, 08:25 AM
I second that idea. But we've done it both ways, and it's not all that different, unless one of your kids is a real kicker.

Btw, did you end up deciding to go to Atlantis or somewhere else?

JBaxter
03-04-2010, 08:38 AM
I would do 2 in front 3 behind and I totally agree with Beth about the kicking.

o_mom
03-04-2010, 08:39 AM
I would do three in front (5 yo, parent, 7 yo) and two in back (parent middle, baby window). If the baby is in a carseat, they have to be next to the window and that puts them behind one of your own party. You also then have one parent to deal just with the baby and the other has the two older ones. Since they are right in front it is easy to pass things or get their attention.

When you book it, however, I would book three in one row and then the aisle and window in the row behind to hope that nobody would sit in that row.

egoldber
03-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Another thought is 5 yo and one parent in front (booking the window and aisle, hoping no one will take that middle) and the other 3 behind (carseat at window, parent middle, 7 yo aisle).

That way the parent with the carseat is not blocked by getting out (which is a pet peeve of mine when flying), but has the high and (hopefully) low maintenance kids, and the other parent has the medium maintenance kid.

pinkmomagain
03-04-2010, 09:09 AM
We do 5 across and find that works very well with the two parents sitting on the aisle.

jess_g
03-04-2010, 09:44 AM
I travel with 4 (3 kids and me) and we always sit in one row. That way we can all talk to each other. And I try to bring something neat that the kids have not seen before to play with and hope they nap a lot on the plane.

If you have 2 adults and 3 kids than I can see doing 2 in front and 3 behind (or vice versa) or doing one row. I think either seating configuration would work. You are lucky to have a second adult with you to help.

Jessica.

spanannie
03-04-2010, 01:32 PM
I second that idea. But we've done it both ways, and it's not all that different, unless one of your kids is a real kicker.

Btw, did you end up deciding to go to Atlantis or somewhere else?

We're saving Atlantis for later and going to DisneyWorld again. It was hard for me to decide between that and Seaside, but I just think WDW will be more fun for the kids at this age. I'm still nervous about taking the almost 2 year old, though. For some reason I have anxiety about traveling with a little one. It just makes everything so complicated.

I don't have a kicker, fortunately. We've always put 2 in one row and 3 in another. However, this is the first time we've done the baby in her own seat, instead of passing her back and forth. I think it will be nice. Do I put her in the carseat? I've never had an under 2 that didn't ride as a lap child.

codex57
03-04-2010, 01:37 PM
I was gonna say 2 in front, 3 behind. However, with no kicker, that doesn't matter as much. 5 across could work just fine.

I would put the baby in the car seat. They tend to be calmer and less wiggly/needy when strapped into a car seat. Kinda like how they are in a car back home. There's also the safety benefit in case you run into unexpected turbulence.