PDA

View Full Version : Do I NEED a double?

eml569
03-04-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm due with our second LO in October, DS will be around 18 months when #2 arrives. We've started considering what else we need to purchase and the double stroller debate is huge. We have a Bumbleride Flyer, and while I would love to get a different stroller I don't know if it is totally necessary in the beginning. We mainly used our Flyer for walks, going on vacation, and maybe 5 times of running to the mall. We're big outside people so mainly took DS on outside walks with the stroller - but since we live in the Midwest and LO2 is due in October, I don't see us taking a lot of walks until s/he is 5 months old or so.

Is it unrealistic to think that I can throw DS in the stroller and wear LO2 when we go out in the beginning? Due to work schedules, DH is with me 85% of the time when we're out. I have a Moby/stretchy wrap, a woven, a ring sling, a mei tai, and a Pikkolo. When we took DS to the fair or other group gatherings I wore him anyway to avoid having to push the stroller. What do you think?

arivecchi
03-04-2010, 12:18 PM
I would hold off and not get one until you know you need one. I love my double but do the single stroller/baby carrier thing too every now and then. In my case, I love having a double because I need both kids contained in stroller (we live in Chicago). We also walk everywhere, so the double is a must. I think with an 18 month age difference, you will need one because it is not easy to tend to a toddler with a baby in a baby carrier, bt you can always wait until after baby arrives and then determine if you need a double and which kind.

WatchingThemGrow
03-04-2010, 12:21 PM
BTDT TWICE. You need a double at that distance apart. YOU will need to get out for some things, and you'll need to be able to pick up either kid. We got away with an all terrain double the first time around, and ended up getting a lightweight double when I was pg with #3. Containment, straps, and a place for everyone's stuff is invaluable.

rgors
03-04-2010, 12:35 PM
our kids are 2y2m apart. I wore dc2 in a pouch sling, then the beco, on all walks and errands at first. we bought our double stroller when ds2 was 4mo, but did not start really using it until he was 6mo. I personally find it easier to wear dc2 on my back and push dc1. there's still plenty of room in my single stroller's basket for "stuff". that said, we do love our double.

It *is* a little more problematic to bend over and deal with a (potty-training) toddler when you have a baby in a carrier. But for me this was preferable to putting my baby in the stroller, as he hated it at first. So I would rather deal with a little discomfort in bending over occasionally, then listening to the constant crying when dc2 was in the stroller.

I also have several pictures of me wearing dc2 on my back and carrying dc1 in my arms because BOTH wanted to be held. meanwhile my DH was pushing the empty (other than my diaper bag) double stroller!

ETA: if dc1 likes to walk, also, is a consideration. If dc1 wants to walk, I find it easier to wear dc2 than to push a stroller with dc2. I really think you can postpone the double purchase, given your comfort with babywearing. You probably will purchase a double eventually, but I would wait until the need is definite, and/or, wait until some good sales come up (we bought our double bob during REI's semi-annual 20% off one item member sale).

salsah
03-04-2010, 01:05 PM
i think you will need a double but you should wait to buy one. you can get by with a single and a good carrier long enough to figure out what type of double you need. you might find that you need something lightweight and compact or an all-terrain or maybe you find that don't really need two seats but you need a buggy board or a stroller with built in rear step (p3/zippy). there is also a add on seat, like the buggy board, which could work for you too.

jacksmoma
03-04-2010, 01:14 PM
i would say get the double- might as well get as much us out of it as possible! at the begining, ours are 19 months apart, i mainly slinged the new baby but it was realy really great to have a spot for baby when i needed a slinging break! i'd go with a bumbleride indie twin, baby jogger city mini double or elite, all of which are newborn friendly (reline all the way down). slinging or wearing baby is great in theory, but if you're like me, baby can get heavy and in the way and a spot for them is invaluable!

drcarpiodds
03-04-2010, 02:25 PM
with jacksmomma...

Do your research and figure out which double will work for you and hubby... (if it's the BJCED, which I have and adore - albeebaby.com has it on sale right now for $429.99 - great price for such a great stroller)

My DSs are 19 months apart... we bought our double before DS2 was born, and transitioned to using right away (DS2 was 2 days old the first time we went out for a walk)...

I also have a BJCM that I use when I sling DS2...

Depending on where we're going to go or what we're going to do, I am glad that I have options... use the double if I'm not up to wearing baby at the moment, and both kiddos are secure, and yes there's lots of room for stuff... use the single for quick trips, or when DS1 will want to walk around, or when I don't want to bring the double... LOTS of options =)

Also look in to the BJ City Select... great reviews so far... although a hefty price tag... =)

AnnieW625
03-04-2010, 02:52 PM
My kids are going to be 4 yrs. apart, but if they were any less than 3 yrs. apart I'd just get a double from the get go. I am still on the fence about whether we'll need an actual double, but I bet we'll end up getting one pretty quick because we do a lot of neighborhood walks and I have no idea if #2 will tolerate being in a Beco while I push a stroller for three miles.

strollerqueen
03-06-2010, 05:26 PM
ITA. THose are the ages doubles are meant for (besides twins.)

KrisM
03-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Mine are 2 years apart (twice). With 1 and 2, I rarely used the double. It took up most of my trunk, so it only went in when needed and that was for the zoo, etc. I wore DD most of the time. DS1 was pretty good at walking around 2 years 3 months, too.

Now, with 2 and 3, I use the double a lot more. I use it daily for the bus stop, but besides that, I do put it in the care more often. I can get 3 kids on it if I have to, too.

hillview
03-06-2010, 07:10 PM
If you use a single a lot now you will want a double. The only way I would see not wanting one is if you don't walk much.
/hillary

jacksmoma
03-06-2010, 08:13 PM
i use a single a lot more than a double and mine are 19 months apart but we stay close to home, we aren't out during naptime.

DietCokeLover
03-06-2010, 08:15 PM
You need a double at that distance apart. YOU will need to get out for some things, and you'll need to be able to pick up either kid. ................ Containment, straps, and a place for everyone's stuff is invaluable.

:yeahthat: