PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Lost receipt, ink security tag still on dress

StantonHyde
03-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Ack, I went shopping at SEars a few weeks ago for appliances and checked out Easter dresses on the way out. They had a cute one for DS for $20 so I bought it. Took it home, still in the bag and last week I went to put it away--the danged security (the ink will blow up if you try to take off this tag) thingy is still on it!!!!

And DH has already entered the receipt on Quicken and chucked it. Now what?

Can Amex get me a copy of the receipt? Or would SEars have a record?
Do I take it back with my appliances receipts to show that I really did spend a lot of legitimate money at the store and am not trying to steal a $20 dress?

Please help. TIA.

MMMommy
03-04-2010, 12:33 PM
In that type of situation, I would call Sears and ask for a manager for the specific department. Explain to him/her the situation, then bring it in while that manager is on duty. He/she may even let the cashiers know that you might be coming in under those special circumstances.

A lot of stores can look up transactions by credit card (so long as you have the credit card you used on hand). I'm not sure of Sears has that kind of system, but you could call and ask.

schums
03-04-2010, 12:33 PM
AmEx might be able to get you a copy of the receipt, but IME it takes 3-6 weeks to get the receipt. So, probably not till after Easter, which won't do you any good. Is is a Sears dress or Lands End? I know that with LE, they can do a receipt lookup (like Target) with your cc. Maybe call Sears and see if they can do that with just a "regular" Sears brand. Good luck!!

catsnkid
03-04-2010, 01:40 PM
If it is the kind that the ink explodes, put it in the freezer.

August Mom
03-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Did you buy the dress by itself? If so, I would take a copy of my credit card statement (or account activity from on-line if the statement hasn't issued yet) showing the purchase - the amount should match and back up your story.

Good luck.

jayali
03-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I had the same thing happen a while back with a jacket. I brought it back and the cashier just took my word for it. I asked for the manager originally, and when she inquired why and I told her she just took it off for me. My husband thought for sure I was going to jail! I would call Amex and see what they can provide and then go from there.

Percycat
03-04-2010, 05:00 PM
My American Express card has receipts online. I have the card tied to my Costco membership. I just printed a receipt last month -- and was thrilled/surprised that it was so easy.

Good luck.
Angela