PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing any doubles, or talk me out of the Valco Latitude EX

legaleagle
03-04-2010, 04:02 PM
After much much research, including watching all of the StrollerQueen's rollout, I think the Latitude EX double is the only stroller on the market that fits all of my requirements.

1. Newborn recline (no bucket seat used)
2. Good for very tall kids (DS is 98% for height, much of it in the torso, he will be 21 months when #2 arrives)
3. Easy fold (doesn't need to be one handed)
4. Fits in my Mazda5 trunk (~38"x40")
5. Reasonable weight
6. Used mostly indoors so AT not needed (would be nice but not willing to trade weight)
7. Bar handle of reasonable height, adjustable a bonus (I'm 5'7", but DH is 6'3")
8. Side by side

(Bonus: all the other things everyone wants - non-tippy, accessories included, big basket, one fingered push, etc. I know there is no Platonic ideal of a stroller out there!)

I haven't found a double to try locally but I've seen the single and liked it.

The only other one I could find with most of my requirements is the new Stroll-Air My Duo but the fold looks way complicated and its also $300 more.

Anyone else know anything that's coming on the market by June that fits all or almost all of these requirements?

Most of the negatives I've found on reviews focus on the short seats (no longer an issue in the EX version) but if anyone has any personal experience, I'd love to hear it!

arivecchi
03-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I love Valcos. I have a Valco Trimode, which is awesome for tall kids. The Latitude has a shorter seatback and is not going to be the best choice for a tall kiddo IMO. The EX version has bigger canopies, but not taller seatbacks. It seems to be pretty similar to the BJCMD, which is also outgrown quickly. I have never seen one IRL though since they are so new.

http://www.letsgostrolling.com/valco-latitude-twin.html

http://www.letsgostrolling.com/baby-jogger-city-mini-double.html

jacksmoma
03-04-2010, 05:31 PM
if you really need the taller seat back you're going to need an a/t stroller as the seats are bigger- valco trimode twin or baby jogger city elite double but they are heavy ones :(

legaleagle
03-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Oh, I should clarify, DS has never been a stroller (or car, sigh) sleeper so I really need a tall butt-to-canopy measurement, rather than a tall seatback.

Interesting about the letsgostrolling measurements - they're an inch taller than listed on the valco and bj websites.

I really wanted to love the BJCMD (like everyone else here!) but the handle was a little too high for me and the seats seem kind of slouchy.

arivecchi
03-04-2010, 10:40 PM
I thought the seatback height was the butt to canopy measurement. Call Let's Go Strolling. They are very knowledgeable and helpful.

legaleagle
03-04-2010, 11:43 PM
And this is why stroller shopping gets so frustrating so quickly!

LGS lists for the latitude:
Seat Back Length: 18”
Butt to Canopy height: 25”

valcobaby.com lists
Height from Seat to Hood: 24"

I should just give LGS a call since I'm pretty sure no one around here is going to have one for me to see in person.

arivecchi
03-05-2010, 11:24 AM
I should just give LGS a call since I'm pretty sure no one around here is going to have one for me to see in person.:yeahthat: Yes, call them. They helped answer a million questions before I bought my Valco. Valcos are great quality strollers though, so if you conclude that the stroller meets your requirements, go for it! My Valco Trimode still looks brand new after 3 years of heavy use and my 40 inch toddler (probably taller now) still has room to grow. We have never had to call Valco CS. The stroller is great.

AnnieW625
03-05-2010, 01:51 PM
The only other stroller you might want to consider is the Maclaren Twin Techno. A friend of mine with twins loves hers. The seat backs on the Macs are tall. I believe the handlebars are adjustable. BRUS usually keeps this model too so it shouldn't be to hard to find in person.

WatchingThemGrow
03-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Wouldn't a Twin Triumph work also, except for the single handle thing?

legaleagle
03-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Yeah, macs were the other ones I'd really hoped that I'd liked since they're so light and good for the tall kids but I really prefer bar handles, esp for a double.

AnnieW625
03-06-2010, 02:49 AM
Wouldn't a Twin Triumph work also, except for the single handle thing?

It doesn't have a full recline and it doesn't have telescoping handles I think. I honestly can't think of any other strollers that have a handle bar and are side by side and light for doubles.

Ooh what about a Phil N Ted's stroller? We have friends who have the Sport and their daughters are 21 mos. or so apart and the stroller works for them. Their older daughter has also still sat in the bottom part of the stroller as old as 3, but she was less than 35lbs. Both the wife and husband are pretty tall and they don't have an issue with the stroller handle bar height.
http://www.letsgostrolling.com/product2777.html

strollerqueen
03-06-2010, 04:58 PM
I love Valcos. I have a Valco Trimode, which is awesome for tall kids. The Latitude has a shorter seatback and is not going to be the best choice for a tall kiddo IMO. The EX version has bigger canopies, but not taller seatbacks. It seems to be pretty similar to the BJCMD, which is also outgrown quickly. I have never seen one IRL though since they are so new.

http://www.letsgostrolling.com/valco-latitude-twin.html

http://www.letsgostrolling.com/baby-jogger-city-mini-double.html

That's interesting. I could have sworn Valco told me the new ones had taller seats.

strollerqueen
03-06-2010, 04:59 PM
After much much research, including watching all of the StrollerQueen's rollout, I think the Latitude EX double is the only stroller on the market that fits all of my requirements.

1. Newborn recline (no bucket seat used)
2. Good for very tall kids (DS is 98% for height, much of it in the torso, he will be 21 months when #2 arrives)
3. Easy fold (doesn't need to be one handed)
4. Fits in my Mazda5 trunk (~38"x40")
5. Reasonable weight
6. Used mostly indoors so AT not needed (would be nice but not willing to trade weight)
7. Bar handle of reasonable height, adjustable a bonus (I'm 5'7", but DH is 6'3")
8. Side by side

(Bonus: all the other things everyone wants - non-tippy, accessories included, big basket, one fingered push, etc. I know there is no Platonic ideal of a stroller out there!)

I haven't found a double to try locally but I've seen the single and liked it.

The only other one I could find with most of my requirements is the new Stroll-Air My Duo but the fold looks way complicated and its also $300 more.

Anyone else know anything that's coming on the market by June that fits all or almost all of these requirements?

Most of the negatives I've found on reviews focus on the short seats (no longer an issue in the EX version) but if anyone has any personal experience, I'd love to hear it!

I think that is a god choice. Have you checked out the double Valco Ion?

legaleagle
03-06-2010, 11:25 PM
I did actually seen a double ion in person but I found the handle kind of weird plus it's $100 more than the latitude.

Thanks for the validation that there really isn't anything else out there, everyone!

I will be interested to read the reviews of the stroll air once people actually get their hands on one but hopefully the latitude will do us for a while.