PDA

View Full Version : This is just a worry I can't rid of (very long)

maestramommy
03-04-2010, 04:51 PM
so I'm venting here because I don't think there's anything I can do about it.

Backstory: when we moved into this house, we needed a painter. Our realtor set us up with a man she knows who is reasonable, does great work. He has a day job already, so he came every day for a month after work and painted practically the whole house. We got to know him in that time, and he is such a nice guy. At the same time he was trying to buy a house in the same town, through the same realtor. They have been long time friends and she treats him like a son. The reason he was trying to move here was because he has a little DD and he knew the schools were top notch. He and his girlfriend are not married, although at some point he was calling her his fiance. They may be married at this point, I don't know. The little girl is probably 3 and some change by now. Between Dora and Arwyn in age.

Fast forward, we recently reconnected with our realtor, and have been hanging out lately. We asked her about the painter because Dh has been wanting to have our chimney repainted. Turns out she hasn't spoken to him in months because he never returns her calls. We knew from the beginning that he's a little flaky and it's great if you can get him started on a project, but that could take forever. Well, after more talk, she starts venting about his wife, whom she's never liked. She's always felt that this woman basically trapped D by getting preggo. And now all she does is sit watching TV while the dd wanders free range in the house or outside. Her clothes are dirty, and the mother doesn't interact with her at all. I actually wondered if the wife could be depressed because she has no car, or access to a car, so she is basically trapped at home all day while D is at work. But our friend sounds pretty positive that no, the woman is just lazy and doesn't give a fig for her daughter, which brings me to the worry.

They moved to this town for the schools, but neither D nor his wife are educated (HS diploma maybe), and they have no idea what their dd will be up against when she starts K. The realtor was asking them last year what to give dd for Christmas, like a Playskool computer thing, just to get her started on learning letters. No response at all. Now, as a seasoned member of this board, I know that computers don't make a smart kid, but we were told the parents have probably never read her a book (NEVER??), and they don't have a computer themselves, so the dd will never even see one. At 3 she barely talks, and when she does it's intelligible. I told her to tell D about the district preschool in our area which screens kids for special needs and the preschool is FREE if you qualify. She said she could tell them that, IF he would just return her calls. And he would have to take the intitiative because the mother never will.

This just makes me and Dh so, so sad. On the one hand, if they are just very simplistic in their lifestyle, that's fine. But when you have a kid, you have to step up and do the responsible things. But they never will, because the father just doesn't know, and the mother just doesn't care. I think about this little girl and the fact that she will be lucky to graduate from HS, given the trajectory she's on. Hopefully when she goes to K the school will be able to intervene, but will it be too late by then? Will it even matter if the parents don't get it? I met the little girl once, shortly after we moved in. She seemed like an average kid then, not quite talking yet, maybe a few words. It's been almost 2 years since.

I think about the few things I do with my kids that I take for granted. Like reading to them, chatting in the car, listening to music, playing bingo and Candyland with them. These are all things that I consider not particularly special. I mean, they don't take classes or anything that cost money yet. And my kids, though bright enough, are still what I consider average alongside their peers. My town is considered a middle class/upper middle class town, depending on where you live. Most of the parents I know do at least what I do with the kids, and many of them are always in classes and sports, even before K. I cannot imagine how this girl is going to manage and how she will feel when she starts school.

She has been in my head for weeks, and I cannot let it go.

KathyN115
03-04-2010, 09:17 PM
It is really nice of you to be so concerned about this child, but I don't really know if there is anything you could do. Makes you realize how fortunate our DC are (even if we moms have bad days!)

buddyleebaby
03-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Melinda,
I would take what your realtor friend is saying with a grain of salt...

If she is no longer in contact with the little girl's daddy, really how much insight could she have as to the little girl's daily life or stage of development? It sounds to me like there are some hurt/bitter feelings on her part right now and she is talking smack about a woman she never liked to begin with and blames for "trapping" this man. I would be very hesitant to believe that any woman doesn't care for or interact with her child at all on someone else's word.

You are such a kind and caring person and it kills me to think of you worrying about a little girl who is probably very much loved.

maestramommy
03-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Melinda,
I would take what your realtor friend is saying with a grain of salt...

If she is no longer in contact with the little girl's daddy, really how much insight could she have as to the little girl's daily life or stage of development? It sounds to me like there are some hurt/bitter feelings on her part right now and she is talking smack about a woman she never liked to begin with and blames for "trapping" this man. I would be very hesitant to believe that any woman doesn't care for or interact with her child at all on someone else's word.

You are such a kind and caring person and it kills me to think of you worrying about a little girl who is probably very much loved.

Thanks Alicia. You know, I would be thinking the same thing too. Except that just from what I know about D the painter, it sounds really plausible. He really is the most mellow and easy going guy. From his conversation I think he loves his daughter dearly, but he isn't home most of the time because of his job. He actually has grown children that he lost at one time because of a drinking problem (he told us this himself), children that he fathered beginning the age of 17. And he has worked as a painter ever since. I think he thinks that moving to a good district is all it takes for his child to get a good education.

The last time my friend saw D was probably fall of last year. But they have been friends for over 15 years. Whenever she calls it's to refer him to a painting gig, not to get together or whatever. She is honestly concerned that he needs the money and could make a lot of it easily by working for himself. The trouble being that he isn't reliable.

As I get to know my friend better, I realize she is an older woman (in her 60s?) with strong opinions. Also, she and her Dh were bootstrap pulling people, so it's hard for her to understand people who aren't. Her level of education isn't necessarily higher than D's, but she has a LOT of grit, and doesn't think much of people who don't, which might be why she doesn't think much of D's wife (based on her own impression of course). I don't know D's wife at all beyond a one time meeting, and she seemed nice enough. I *still* think it's not impossible that she could be depressed. I know if I were in her situation (trapped at home with a toddler, no way to leave the house, because you can't walk ANYWHERE) I would go nuts. I don't know know that my friend believes in PPD though:p