PDA

View Full Version : Same dress, every day for 1 year. Interesting consumerism and fashion blog

kijip
03-04-2010, 07:49 PM
This is from awhile ago, but I stumbled on it looking at event planners in Seattle:

http://www.littlebrowndress.com/

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/living/2003109318_browndress07.html

I don't think I could take it that far, but I love the idea of a simpler wardrobe. Thoughts?

Melaine
03-04-2010, 08:18 PM
I swear I saw someone else do this too....I think it's interesting and I like the concept of simplifying the wardrobe. It says she only spent $20 on clothes that year. I'm impressed.

I have to say, I wouldn't have picked *that* dress to spend a year in:wink2: but I think it was a great statement.

LBW
03-04-2010, 08:18 PM
I attended Catholic schools my whole life and *loved* wearing a uniform to school. To this day I still own very few clothes. I have one 4-drawer dresser that holds my shirts, jeans, and khakis and one very, very small closet that holds everything else. The closet isn't full, and I'm actually thinking of donating a bunch of stuff from it within the next few weeks.

Of course, it helps that I work from home, but even when I was in a corporate setting 5 days/week I didn't own a lot. I'm always amazed by women who seem to wear a completely different outfit every day.

mom2binsd
03-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Jerry Seinfeld was convinced the girl he was dating had a closet full of the same dress as he'd never seen her wearing anything else....if I found something that looked good on me maybe I'd wear it everyday!!!

spanannie
03-04-2010, 09:14 PM
I have to say, I wouldn't have picked *that* dress to spend a year in:wink2:

This is what I was thinking.

KpbS
03-04-2010, 09:22 PM
I wonder how you (I) would feel about the dress after 1 year. Would you have fond memories or just be so tired of the brown dress?

Corie
03-04-2010, 09:33 PM
I saw a stat in my In Style magazine.

It said that most people wear 20% of their wardrobe 80% of the time.

kijip
03-04-2010, 10:11 PM

I think what drew me to this was the prospect of cleaning out my drawers and closets. I have pared down a lot, but aside from work out stuff I pretty much wear 10 things. But I have a fair bit of stuff around "just in case". :ROTFLMAO:

kozachka
03-04-2010, 10:12 PM

I think 20% is generous for me :bag. I could easily wear the same pair of jeans every day for months and months. In reality, I rotate between the two pairs of jeans and change tops. Of course, I wear few other things when I go out with friends but most of the things don't get worn regularly. Part of the problem is my changing size, the other my changing lifestyle and climate.

I've seen 80/20 rules so many times in business cases, I wonder how much data they have to support it.

AnnieW625
03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
I just couldn't do it. I can do the same little black dress and acessorize to make it different, but that's for special occaisions. I usually only have two pairs of jeans though because I don't wear them to the work except on Fridays. I am overly anal about people noticing what clothes I wear day after day (I always have been since I was a little kid) so I don't want to wear the same top and the same pants twice in a week. Now of course I don't think I have a lot of clothes but as long as I have 5 to 7 different sweaters, tees, or blouses to wear during the week I am fine. Wearing the same over coat everey day doesn't bothers me or even the same pair of shoes.

Ceepa
03-04-2010, 10:38 PM
I remember seeing her blog on this a while ago. Interesting.

SnuggleBuggles
03-04-2010, 10:42 PM
I have to say, I wouldn't have picked *that* dress to spend a year in:wink2: but I think it was a great statement.

:ROTFLMAO:I share those sentiments. :)

I'll have to read the blog more but my 1st thought is, why wear the dress? Why not just vow not to buy anything new for the year and wear what you already have? Hoping to read her answer on there.

Beth

kijip
03-04-2010, 10:52 PM
:ROTFLMAO:I share those sentiments. :)

I'll have to read the blog more but my 1st thought is, why wear the dress? Why not just vow not to buy anything new for the year and wear what you already have? Hoping to read her answer on there.

Beth

She designed the dress to be perfect for her- a color she liked to wear, pockets large enough for the stuff she has to carry, comfortable for dance practice (she is a dancer), fit to her body. Part of her comments speak to avoiding figuring out what to wear, making a statement about not needing so many clothes, not needing to worrying about fitting into something that was not cut for her, trying to be less image conscious etc. She followed up with a year of wearing only stuff she made from other clothes that she had before the brown dress year.

I actually know her because we have worked together in the past and I was looking at her company for some work I need done. I am going to have a hard time not harassing her with questions about this and sticking the the RFP I want her to reply to, LOL.

MMEand1
03-04-2010, 11:28 PM
I don't think I would have a problem doing it. I'm active duty and have been wearing the same thing basically for 11 years!! I only own 1 pair of pants, 2 skirts, 2 button-down dressy shirts and about 3-4 polo shirts. Somedays I get home from work and just don't change out of uniform until I go to bed. It's functional and comfortable. When I was deployed, we were not allowed civilian clothes at all, so we could only wear our utility uniform or our PT clothes (work-out uniform). You get used to it...

SnuggleBuggles
03-04-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't know if her system really works for not having to figure outfits out because from the photo journal it sure looks like she pulled together a lot of outfits around the dress. Leggings, jeans, sweaters, shirts...sometimes you could barely even see the dress. It wasn't quite what I expected.

Beth

kijip
03-05-2010, 01:51 AM
I don't know if her system really works for not having to figure outfits out because from the photo journal it sure looks like she pulled together a lot of outfits around the dress. Leggings, jeans, sweaters, shirts...sometimes you could barely even see the dress. It wasn't quite what I expected.

Beth

I was thinking the same thing, but I am pretty sure she went into knowing she would not only wear the dress- it's a cold, rainy city here most of the year.

She was a new parent when doing this and I also realized it was not all that odd for a new mom to wear the same thing everyday. I think I lived in the same nursing top and jeans for several months. Just for lack of motivation and sleep. :)