PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me why my bra straps slip down...

deborah_r
03-05-2010, 12:25 AM
I am so sick of having to pull my bra straps backup all day long. I've tried shortening the straps, lengthening the straps, using the different clasps in the back. I think it's the right size, but maybe not. I have gained some weight. But I know I have had this problem for years - sometimes I can get them all working right and other times it seems like they are always sliding. I wear mostly those Body by Victoria bras.

urquie
03-05-2010, 12:50 AM
i don't know why it happens, but it bugs the heck out of me! the strap doctor solved my problem... here's a thread about possible solutions... http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=317550&highlight=bra+strap

2Carol
03-05-2010, 01:52 AM
It's quite possible that the reason your straps keep slipping is that your bra is the wrong size.

Here are some indicators that it fits properly:
First the bit in between your breasts should fit against your skin - not be a pocket where you could stash a pair of gloves or sunglasses.

Breast tissues should not be spilling out of the cups at the sides or the top

The band in the back and in the front should be parallel to the floor - not riding up in the back.

OK so assuming you want to look for the correct size measure yourself first - the band size is most important (that's the number). Use a non-stretchy tape measure and measure around under your breasts (they are not part of this measurement - this is more a rib cage measurement).

The cup size is measured under your armpits over the top of your breasts. There are lots of charts (google) that will tell you if your cup size is more than 1.5 inches bigger than your band size your are a "C" cup etc. (look at the charts - I don't have this in my head)

OK so supposing that you think you have the right size bra and the straps keep slipping and you LOVE that bra (or paid too much for it to simply toss it out) here's what you can do. Take the straps off the back side of the bra. Taking out the stitches is pretty straightforward. Move the end of the straps inwards (towards your spine - towards the fasteners) 1" and re-stitch them in place. The additional angle across your shoulders should keep them from slipping.

Interestingly fancy stores and high end lingerie shops are not particularly good at fitting bras. It all depends on who you get. Someone did a study albeit in England of bra fitting and something like 90% of the fittings were wrong. (all high end places). Sad.

kali
03-05-2010, 03:19 AM
Poor fit and stretched out elastic are common culprits. I had a bra fitting at Nordstroms and found out my bras were too small in the cups and too large in the bands.

My bras now are a lot tighter than what I was used to, but no more falling down straps or falling out boobs. :)

billysmommy
03-05-2010, 08:19 AM
This happens to me all.the.time and it always has. Even with bras that are the perfect fit. Last year I finally found a bra from Warner's that guarantees "non-slip straps". On the underside of the straps they have a little flower design made from the slightly sticky material that is on strapless bras. And it really works!!! I went back and bought a bunch when they had a sale. This was the first thing I found that works :)

AJP
03-05-2010, 08:40 AM
My sister swears by the Strap Doctor thingie.
Not really about the straps themselves, but I highly recommend breakoutbras.com for measuring info. Their method is a little different than what you'll see at VS, Nordstrom etc. I was making do with what I thought my size was for years. I went from 36DDD/38DD to 34 G (!!!). My bras acrually fit correctly and I rarely have slipping straps. Nordies, and VS (my last resort) always had me in a 38/36DD. Nordies actually carries my size so I don't always have to order online. Maybe getting re-fit will help?

sidmand
03-05-2010, 09:08 AM
My straps always do that (I think only the righthand one) but so do my purses (part of the reason I only wear ones that sling over my body) and then I recalled that I was ALWAYS pulled out of class for scoliosis testing. Extra testing that always came back fine but I think that my shoulders naturally slope downward so almost any strap is always going to fall down.

Not sure if that's your problem but I think some people also have sloping shoulders and it's not necessarily the bra (although those no slip things would probably help). At least I think that's my case.

DebbieJ
03-05-2010, 10:46 AM
I would check the fit first. That could likely be the culprit.

trentsmom
03-05-2010, 10:52 AM
I always had that problem, too, until I finally bought the proper size bra. I agree with PP that breakoutbras has great information on measuring. I have measured both me and my mom, and the sizes I came up with were the same as the sizes when we were both professionally fitted. I need to remeasure myself so I can get new nursing bras; I'm dealing with slipping straps again!

lowrioh
03-05-2010, 11:15 AM
I have the same problem and I have gone to Nordstroms many times to get measured etc so I'm sure it isn't that I have the wrong size.
There are some bras where the shoulder straps connect to the band at a different angle and that helps keep the straps from slipping.
I get these from Olga and they NEVER slip.
I actually stopped wearing my nursing bra because I couldn't stand the straps slipping off all the time. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/312F3H111HL._SS400_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Olga-Signature-Seamless-Tailored-Underwire/dp/B000E892TS