PDA

View Full Version : DS2 - 178 / Mommy - 0 Boy oh boy oh boy!!!

jgenie
03-05-2010, 04:36 AM
Ok, I'm getting soaked here. I don't remember DS1's timing being this great but maybe I've blocked it from memory. DS2 soaks his clothes and the changing table every.time.I.change.his.diaper. :dizzy: Any tips to keeping us dry? TIA

♥ms.pacman♥
03-05-2010, 06:16 AM
heh, i had the same exact problem for the first 2-3 weeks with my DS (he still does it now, but not as much). i think he literally sprayed us at every diaper change..sometime's he get the wall, sometimes it would get me or DH, sometimes it would get on his face, the poor thing! what helped is that i try to keep the rest of his body warm (i think a lot of the "pee" reflex happens when he suddenly feels really cold)..i put a blanket over the upper part of his body. Also, i usually throw a cloth diaper (prefold) over his "boy parts" as a preemptive strike...if he pees those things are so absorbent they usually prevent the onesie, the wall and everything else from getting soaked. also i keep a cloth diaper (prefold) flat on the changing table pad under him so that the changing table pat cover doesn't get wet if he does pee. this also helps guard the changing table pad cover from getting soiled if he decided to go #2 (and he occasionally does this as well, lol).

and i don't know if this is what made a difference, but we change his diaper *after* feedings instead of before.many times i hear him poop his diaper while he's eating, i wonder if its the same with pee and so he gets it all out before being changed.

TwinFoxes
03-05-2010, 07:07 AM
I have girls, but I changed their diapers the way the NICU taught me. I slip the clean diaper under them before taking off the old one. My husband used to always roll the dice, and would end up having to change out the pad...boys aren't the only ones that do the mid diaper change pee! For them, the nurses would also plop a folded cloth diaper on the boy's "sprayer". :)

ljackson
03-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Someone told me that when you lift up the baby's feet to get the old diaper out and put the new one under, you compress the bladder and make them need to pee. The tip was to lift up the feet for a few seconds without taking the old diaper off, then wait a few seconds for the baby to pee (hopefully) before doing the actual change. I have no idea if this works because I got the tip too late for it to be any use to me.

A PP mentioned that the cold might make babies pee when you change them, and it seems to have been true in my family. DD was a winter baby and a pee-when-you-change-her girl, but DS was a summer baby and literally has only ever peed during four diaper changes.

ThreeofUs
03-05-2010, 08:18 AM
We called this "hitting the trifecta" (pees on you, clothes and changing pad, necessitating a change of all three)!

Happened to us for the first few weeks, too. I would always put a little cloth or old diaper over his penis just as I opened his dipe. Didn't always work, mind you, but I always tried!

GL and congratulations on such a vigorous little guy!

lchang25000
03-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I always put a washcloth over his penis and I've rarely been sprayed unless for some reason it falls off. Usually only the washcloth gets wet when he pees during a diaper change. Good luck!

truly scrumptious
03-05-2010, 09:41 AM
DS used to pee during changes, too. I agree with a PP who said it might have to do with feeling cold - after all, being suddenly undressed might make anyone want to pee!

Also, we learned that he ALWAYS peed after pooping. So we learned to wait a few minutes after he pooped before changing his diaper. If we started to change him and noticed he had pooped but the front was dry, we'd literally stand there holding the diaper closed and count to 10, and voila - he'd pee in the old diaper, and then get changed to a fresh new one!

ETA - we also used the method described by a PP from the NICU above, and always had something handy to cover his front during changes (a towel, washcloth, etc.)

mousemom
03-05-2010, 11:05 AM
We also used to put a washcloth over his penis, but we still got sprayed many times. We also used receiving blankets as covers for our changing pad b/c they were easy to throw in the wash and we had lots of them, so we always had a clean and dry one to change to when needed.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-05-2010, 11:53 AM
We also used to put a washcloth over his penis, but we still got sprayed many times. We also used receiving blankets as covers for our changing pad b/c they were easy to throw in the wash and we had lots of them, so we always had a clean and dry one to change to when needed.

yeah, that happened to us too, in the beginning we would put a washcloth over him but it still leaked through to the changing pad and onesie since they can't absorb that much. now we've found that the only thing that really works is covering him with a cotton diaper (prefold). they are so absorbent, sometimes i don't even realize that he peed until i notice that the prefold is wet in some area. i swear cotton prefolds are so useful it's almost worth it just to by them for this use alone!