PDA

View Full Version : babysitter etiquette: do U still pay if U have to cancel?

tmarie
03-05-2010, 08:41 AM
We have a 15 yo sitter who we love--very mature and fabulous with the girls. She doesn't sit for us incredibly often, but this month we had her scheduled for three nights. My dd#2 just came down with bronchitis and I need to cancel for this Saturday night. I had to cancel at the last minute three weeks ago because she came down with croup. Do I still pay her a full fee since I'm cancelling at the last minute and she might have turned down other opportunities to sit? This is the daughter of one of my husband's colleagues, so that's another reason I want to make sure I'm handling this thoughtfully. After the first cancellation I paid her an extra twenty the next time she sat (last week). We don't have a future date on the calendar. Would it be crazy to send her a note and some money in the mail? Is this expected or over the top?

tmarie

TwoBees
03-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Haven't btdt, but I think you should pay if you cancel within 24 hours of the scheduled date and time, especially if it is the second time it has happened. Same as you would have to pay for a doctor's appointment or a haircut if you cancel, because she had blocked out the time for you. If it is more than 24 hours out, I'd try to reschedule for another time so that she still has the opportunity to recoup the $.

Pennylane
03-05-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't think you are obligated to pay her anything, especially since your child was sick. I think it is a great idea thought to send her a note and $20. She might have missed out on another babysitting opportunity and be hesitant to book with you anymore.

Ann

Andi98989
03-05-2010, 10:18 AM
I think it would be great if you sent her a note and $20. I was always disappointed when a family canceled on me because I had already planned on that income.

Also - thanks for not leaving your sick kid with her. Someone did that to me when I was 16; he had a cold so bad he would cough and make himself throw up (he was doing so when I got there). I ended up having my mom come and switch places with me.

soontobe
03-05-2010, 10:30 AM
wow you are really nice. no body ever paid me when they canceled even though I was planning on the income. that is a sure way to keep her as your babysitter!

tmarie
03-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I will send her a note and some cash. My dh would probably protest if he knew I was doing this, but I really want to be respectful of her time. We're having such a bad health month, it's almost embarrassing! Thanks for the thoughts!!

tmarie

KpbS
03-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I recently was in a similar situation and when I offered to pay the high-schooler because we were canceling (last minute cancellation too) she laughed and refused.

melissaflorida
03-05-2010, 10:48 AM
I always pay since she is our standing Sat night sitter. She set's aside every Sat night for us so I feel I am obligated to pay her regardless of the reason. She could have baby sat for someone else.

HTH,

Melissa