PDA

View Full Version : "The Office" episode about breastfeeding

wellyes
03-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Did anyone watch last night? I was AMAZED that the whole 2nd half of the Jim/Pam baby episode was all about being in the hospital trying to get a latch. Also amazed that it was basically accurate & respectful about the topic! I definitely identified with the whole thing --- being jealous of moms who get it right away, not being sure you're doing it right, snarky nurses making fun of "I read about nipple confusion on the web!", husband discomfort with lactation consultant, and the frazzled confusion many many new parents go through. I'm impressed.

lchang25000
03-05-2010, 09:10 AM
My DH and I loved the show! We could totally relate to them right after having DS. Brought back so many memories of breastfeeding, etc.

scrooks
03-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Our favorite part was when she fed the other baby in the night. We were dying laughing !:ROTFLMAO:

wendibird22
03-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Loved it! I like that the LC was a guy and not some stereotypical hippy mother earth type. DH commented after the snarky nurse part that he was glad that wasn't our experience. What's funny is the parts with the nurse really got my blood pressure up. I so wanted to go to bat for Pam and I'm so glad that they had her character stick with it and end the episode with a positive BF experience.

MolieMuts
03-05-2010, 09:22 AM
When I had DS1, I had a young male nurse that had to come and remove my catheter with DH in the room. I thought the male lactation consultant was pretty funny.

fortato
03-05-2010, 09:35 AM
I loved everything with Jim and Pam, but Michael worked my last good nerve. I keep hoping that Jim punch him in the head one day.
And how cute was "Frazzled" Jim?

kerridean
03-05-2010, 09:40 AM
It was wonderful. Finally, a REALISTIC portrayal of the birth experience on a sitcom.

lchang25000
03-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Our favorite part was when she fed the other baby in the night. We were dying laughing !:ROTFLMAO:

:yeahthat: DH had a suspicion it was the wrong baby before they found out. :rotflmao:

Melaine
03-05-2010, 09:42 AM
I loved everything with Jim and Pam, but Michael worked my last good nerve. I keep hoping that Jim punch him in the head one day.

SO cute. I loved the episode. Although both DH and I covered our eyes when Michael held the baby. We were both afraid he would drop her.

I thought they did a great job of showing breastfeeding to be important, and not just easy peasy. Interesting how the nurse was obnoxious and said bottle feeding was fine after like 2 seconds of nursing.

The male LC cracked me up the most. When she fed the other baby, I laughed but in a "OMG, I can totally see that happening!!" way

Also, the part about Dwight destroying their house was unnecessary and annoyed me because I can't help feeling that Jim and Pam are a real couple somewhere and now they are at home with their little baby in a trashed house.

I'm a little too attached to these characters. We have actually watched all but maybe two episodes live without missing them since the series started. We were fans from episode one so we take the Office quite seriously.

SnuggleBuggles
03-05-2010, 09:48 AM
We haven't watched it yet. It reminds of a gift dh bought me though.

My dh got me the book "What to Expect when you are Expected" and the writer(s?) was someone from the Daily Show. I think that there is this close little group that has all spun from similar origins and ways of thinking. It's a funny book meant to mock WTE and gives some horrible (funny, not serious) advice and information but the breastfeeding section of the book cracked me up. They were true advocates, from what I read in there.

Beth

DrSally
03-05-2010, 09:52 AM
I missed it!! Sounds great. I've never seen a show deal with it all that explicitly.

DrSally
03-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Will they reair it? I don't watch the show religiously but catch it here and there.

lchang25000
03-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Will they reair it? I don't watch the show religiously but catch it here and there.

Maybe you can catch it online. I know NBC shows most shows' episodes online.

alirebco
03-05-2010, 10:07 AM
How cool! I'll have to watch it online sometime this weekend. I love when people show breastfeeding in a good light!

marie
03-05-2010, 10:10 AM

Hulu has "The Delivery Part 2" episode up. I assume it's that one?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/131475/the-office-the-delivery-part-2#s-p1-so-i0

bandgsmama
03-05-2010, 10:26 AM
i looved the episode too! brought back memories.. so happy baby & pam figured it out at the end! after the show, i told my dh i was ready for another.

KpbS
03-05-2010, 10:33 AM
i looved the episode too! brought back memories.. so happy baby & pam figured it out at the end! after the show, i told my dh i was ready for another.

That's funny--DH and I heard that old familiar newborn cry and DH exclaimed--"I don't want another!"

ETA I loved the fact that the babies were actual newborns and not 3-4 mo. old like most television "newborns."

sunshine873
03-05-2010, 10:36 AM
It was great. DH & I were absolutely rolling in laughter and had to work hard to not make too much noise that we'd wake up DD.

So much of the stuff on the show seems so extreme, but really things like that happen every day...just usually not all at once or in one place. Oh I just Love it!

I love the looks Jim gets on his face in those "moments". Like when he and Pam were getting married and he talked about the 1st time he met her, when they actually got married on the boat, when he found out they were expecting, and last night when he found out it was a girl. Oh, so very heartfelt.

wendibird22
03-05-2010, 11:24 AM

Okay, maybe it's because DD1 is only 11wk old but I kept thinking, "I'm so glad I won't ever have to do that again!"

DrSally
03-05-2010, 11:46 AM
I hate watching shows on the computer. It looks like we may have it "on demand"

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-05-2010, 01:04 PM

:bighand: Was so funny. I loved at the end when they were both so happy she finally latched. YAY for pro BF!

fortato
03-05-2010, 01:35 PM
I forgot all about Kelly's remarks about childbirth...
"You can poop yourself!"

Totally made me think of when I was single, and my friends started having kids.

catpagmo
03-05-2010, 02:02 PM
I forgot all about Kelly's remarks about childbirth...
"You can poop yourself!"

I was laughing so hard when she said that! That always used to freak me out when I first found out I was preggo with DC#1. So funny!

I loved the episode!

MissM'sMom
03-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I love the Office, and thought this episode was hilarious, and the positive take on breastfeeding was a great bonus. Both my DH and I yelled. "No!" at the screen when the nurse suggested trying a bottle when the baby was having trouble latching. :D

maylips
03-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Our household had similar reactions - I said "I want another one!" and when the baby was crying uncontrollably, DH said "that brings it all back - now I KNOW I don't want another one!"

One thing that we also really liked is that it was an actual newborn cry - not a 6 month old cry it seemed - and a newborn(ish) baby - not the cute, smiling, fat baby.

Only thing it didn't portray is how much BF HURTS in the beginning. But everything else was pretty on target.

denna
03-05-2010, 02:53 PM

ITA! "Frazzled" Jim was adorable! (Well Jim in general is adorable but "Frazzled" Jim...).

jenfromnj
03-05-2010, 03:29 PM
I was pleasantly surprised that BFing was an ongoing theme in this episode, and that they didn't really venture into making it a joke or do anything in poor taste relating to it.

I could have done without the entire Dwight subplot, though.

NancyJ_redo
03-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Okay, maybe it's because DD1 is only 11wk old but I kept thinking, "I'm so glad I won't ever have to do that again!"

Yes, what made it great for me was knowing I've BTDT x 3, and won't ever be doing it again :rotflmao:

My LOL moment was when Meredith ran out to her car to get her shirt with the holes cut out - too funny!

I'm a total Office addict and I think this was their best written show in a few years, I've been really disappointed in this year's shows until now. Last night's was hilarious!

Sweetum
03-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Not that big a fan of the office, but love last night's episode. DH thought it was too much ;) but it definitely brought back memories...and I was amazed at how clsoe to real life thw whole BF part of it was! I cried a bit when they first showed the baby :D made me want to have another one soon...DH on the other hand reminisced how difficult a time it was and how we got through it all...yes, DH worked really hard during that time...not to mention my mom...esp with my moods and hormones being all over the place, and BF not working - never could make it work. so, I exclusively pumped for 6 mo all the while struggling with supply issues...so, I felt a little sad for myself at the end of the episode...but yay! she got it to work!

ETA: Oh, and I loved how all of them in the office got together in the meeting room for Pam and Jim...I ususally make caustic remareks at how Michael is a bad manager is wasting everyone's time with inappropriate stuff!

wendibird22
03-05-2010, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=NancyJ
I'm a total Office addict and I think this was their best written show in a few years, I've been really disappointed in this year's shows until now. Last night's was hilarious![/QUOTE]

Same here. I hope this means the show is back on an upswing. BTW the theme song is my ring tone. It cracks people up when they hear it.

Fairy
03-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Stellar, stellar episode, totally Emmy-worthy. And I loved the BF part of it, postively hysterical. Especially the "wrong baby! wrong baby!" Oh my god, I busted up HOWLING in hysterics. These are such talented people.

Penny's Pappa
03-05-2010, 05:07 PM
SO cute. I loved the episode. Although both DH and I covered our eyes when Michael held the baby. We were both afraid he would drop her.

I half expected Michael to drop her only to find out it was a doll that Jim gave him as a "dry run."

My wife and I busted out laughing when Dwight threw the sword out of his car. I think that's the funniest thing he's done since he pretended to be Hannibal Lecter!

Melaine
03-05-2010, 05:09 PM
My wife and I busted out laughing when Dwight threw the sword out of his car. I think that's the funniest thing he's done since he pretended to be Hannibal Lecter!

:hysterical: Oh yeah, that part was great!!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-05-2010, 05:12 PM
:hysterical: Oh yeah, that part was great!!

And the cop calling him by name, KNOWING his name already, was great.

citymama
03-05-2010, 05:16 PM
I wonder if it will be on hulu.com or something. I'd love to see it. This is what happens when you don't have TV. I also need to find somewhere I can watch the Oscars - my one night a year of TV watching!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-05-2010, 05:18 PM
It will most likely be on Hulu today. Hulu always has The Office.:yay:

Melaine
03-05-2010, 05:19 PM
It looks like NBC has it online: http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/episodes/#vid=1206655

mommyp
03-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Such a good episode! We were impressed at the treatment of BFing too and I really wanted to tell that nurse off, I think my blood pressure was going up! One of the better ones recently, IMO. DH and I both spontaneously yelled "No!" when Michael wanted to hold the baby.

love_a_latte
03-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Just finished watching in on Hulu. That was such a great episode, it brought me back to when DD was born. I loved the part where they were trying to swaddle her, Jim saying that she was too strong, but afraid to break her.

NancyJ_redo
03-05-2010, 05:50 PM
I loved the part where they were trying to swaddle her, Jim saying that she was too strong, but afraid to break her.

Totally, esp with them talking about trying to get the baby's lose arm into the swaddle, we've all been there!

NancyJ_redo
03-05-2010, 05:52 PM
And the cop calling him by name, KNOWING his name already, was great.

See, this is why I watch each episode multiple times, I totally missed that with Dwight's name! But I did love the sword, hatchet, etc. going out the window.

Melanie
03-06-2010, 02:49 AM
It was great!

DrSally
03-06-2010, 05:13 PM
I was able to watch part 1 of the birth episode and it was so funny! I laughed out loud several times, and I usually don't do that for The Office. Part 2 isn't on demand yet for us, but I can't wait. I thought it was just hilarious that she was waiting so she could get in after midnight to get an extra day in the hospital. DD was born at 11:50pm and they counted those 10 min as one full day for us. I also thought the feast her co-worker (don't remember his name) was making for her was so cute!

citymama
03-17-2010, 09:01 PM
I just watched both episodes (part 1 and 2) on hulu.com and laughed so hard (and teared up a bunch - watching the Office - I must be pregnant!). Thanks for the heads up on this!

DrSally
03-17-2010, 09:06 PM
I recently watched part 2. Both were so hilarious. I don't watch it often, and never knew how funny Dwight is?! I loved, loved the part where he finally latched on. It was like the moment they became a family. I totally get the panic when he's going to go get the car and leave her alone for a few minutes with the crying baby.

wellyes
03-17-2010, 10:40 PM
I don't watch it often, and never knew how funny Dwight is?! I loved, loved the part where he finally latched on.

Oh my goodness, I know these were to separate thoughts but seeing them together put a SERIOUSLY disturbing image in my head! Still laughing here!

DrSally
03-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Oh my goodness, I know these were to separate thoughts but seeing them together put a SERIOUSLY disturbing image in my head! Still laughing here!

:rotflmao: Now that would be an episode!