PDA

View Full Version : Need Haircut Ideas

arivecchi
03-05-2010, 03:13 PM
My hair is longer than it has been for a long time. It is similar in length and texture to this:

http://images.beautifulhairstyles.com/medium/pictures/jennifergarner.jpg

except I don't have short bangs. My "bangs" are long and are layered below the chin to make my face more angular (I have a round face). Would you cut it shoulder-length (the way it normally is so that the haircut looks more layered) or go for a long Angelina Jolie-type look?

http://www.soundoffcolumn.com/images/angelina-jolie-5-07.jpg

g-mama
03-05-2010, 03:40 PM
It's hard to say without seeing you, but in general, I prefer the Jennifer Garner style. It's more of a "style." Without glammed up makeup and clothing, Angelina's hair in that pic could look like not a style at all and very plain.

arivecchi
03-05-2010, 03:54 PM
I wish I could post a pic, but I am leery of all the lurkers out there. I just feel like I need a change and shorter is not an option for me. I look horrible with short hair! I have not had really long hair since college.

clc053103
03-05-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm voting Jennifer Garner as well!

viba424
03-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Do you have thick hair? I like the Garner look better, especially with thicker hair. Jolies hair is just long. Garners has color variations too, which looks nice. I am a fan of bangs.

wellyes
03-05-2010, 05:14 PM
I think JG looks lovely in that photo............. consider bangs. I know you say you have a round face but honestly, almost everyone does compared to Ms. Garner. I think soft bangs look really sexy on adult women, such a sign of confidence.

sunshine873
03-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Love the JG bangs and it actually makes me think about getting them myself! :) If you're wanting a change, go for it. I think with the Angelna Jolie "non-style" you'll find you're constantly pulling it back into a ponytail.

Go for the bangs. Worse case scenario, you don't really like it and it takes 6 months to grow back...not a huge loss. I say go for it! We as moms get too stuck in our ruts. Something as simple as a new hairstyle can work wonders for the way you feel about day to day life!

arivecchi
03-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Ok, so you have convinced me to not go the super-long route. I am afraid of bangs though. My hair is naturally wavy and I have to blow dry it and then straighten it with a flat iron to get it straighter, so I don't know whether bangs would be easy to maintain. I have not had bangs in over 10 years! My hair is really thick so that is another concern with bags. I am fraid they will be too "bushy". I am getting my hair cut tomorrow so I'd better decide soon!

AnnieW625
03-05-2010, 05:53 PM
I like the Jennifer Garner one better. I wouldn't try the second one without growing your bangs out first.

elektra
03-05-2010, 06:00 PM
As soon as I got bangs in 2007, I immediately made a note to myself that they didn't work for me in the 80's and so WTH was I thinking in getting them again? I will probably get them in another 20 years and regret the decision again (although I have told DH to remind me how much I hated them.) They were in at the time (and seem to be even more so now) and I wanted to feel less frumpy after having DD earlier that year. It just didn't work.
I have wavy/somewhat curly hair too, and I am just not committed to blow drying them out like I thought I might be.

I do like the Jennifer Garner do though. In fact when I used to get my hair chemically straighted, I took a picture of her into the salon to ask them to do the longish choppy bob she had going on at that time (2002?). It works much better with straight hair I think.

This last cut I just got the somewhat boring long layers. Maybe try slightly longer bangs to see how you like it? You can always trim them.

arivecchi
03-05-2010, 06:02 PM
I think with the Angelna Jolie "non-style" you'll find you're constantly pulling it back into a ponytail. I already do that a lot the way my hair is now. The "bangs" are so long I tuck them behind my ears. They kind of blend in and are not distinguishable from the rest. Yes, I need to get out of this rut!

arivecchi
03-05-2010, 06:19 PM
As soon as I got bangs in 2007, I immediately made a note to myself that they didn't work for me in the 80's and so WTH was I thinking in getting them again? I will probably get them in another 20 years and regret the decision again (although I have told DH to remind me how much I hated them.) They were in at the time (and seem to be even more so now) and I wanted to feel less frumpy after having DD earlier that year. It just didn't work.
I have wavy/somewhat curly hair too, and I am just not committed to blow drying them out like I thought I might be.

I do like the Jennifer Garner do though. In fact when I used to get my hair chemically straighted, I took a picture of her into the salon to ask them to do the longish choppy bob she had going on at that time (2002?). It works much better with straight hair I think.

This last cut I just got the somewhat boring long layers. Maybe try slightly longer bangs to see how you like it? You can always trim them. Seems like our hair is very similar. Would I be nuts to try bangs? I'm kinda thinking yes.

mommy111
03-05-2010, 06:25 PM
I have very thick, ver frizzy hair and while I love JG's hairstyle, it may not work for ou unless you are really really committed to blow drying

arivecchi
03-05-2010, 06:37 PM
This is the exact kind of hairstyle I have right now and it does require that I blow dry it after I wash my hair. I then straighten it every day with a flat iron.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9Zf_P9g6cuo/SUZbgYffEFI/AAAAAAAACT8/dvyXvtKYcdA/s1600/layered-hairstyles.jpg

I really want something different but am afraid to deviate from the tried and true!

elektra
03-05-2010, 07:12 PM
If you are already straightening it every day then I think the bangs could work.
Sometimes you do just have to go for it, especially with hair since it will always grow back.
I just had my own bad experience with my last bangs cut.

mommy111
03-06-2010, 02:26 AM
ITA. If you are committed to blowdrying every day, then that style could definitel work for you. The only negative to that style with frizzy hair is that it is very high maintenence (says the mom who has a hard time running her brush through her hair in the AM)

niccig
03-06-2010, 02:38 AM
This is the exact kind of hairstyle I have right now and it does require that I blow dry it after I wash my hair. I then straighten it every day with a flat iron.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9Zf_P9g6cuo/SUZbgYffEFI/AAAAAAAACT8/dvyXvtKYcdA/s1600/layered-hairstyles.jpg

I really want something different but am afraid to deviate from the tried and true!

This is what I have and for ME, it is the easiest style. A big BUT though, is the brilliance of my hair dresser. She cuts and colours it (to cover all the gray) in such a way that it looks good when I just wash it and let it dry naturally - yes, no hair dryer and no product. I only see her 3 times a year and she weaves the colour so no obvious regrowth. For my hair, straight and fine but lots of it, this style is the most no maintenance I've ever had. I only put it back in a pony tail if it needs to be washed. I actually prefer the Jennifer Garner look, and I've tried to pull that off but it was too much work and it went into a pony tail. Anytime I talk about cutting it short to shoulder length or shorter, my hairdresser reminds me why the longer layers work for my hair and face.

Blow drying and straightening iron seem too much work to me. I wonder if your hair dresser could give you a style that works better with your hair, so you don't have to do so much to it? But I'm pretty lazy.

elektra
03-06-2010, 02:59 AM
ok i just happened to come across some pictures of myself with the bangs. You know, the bangs themselves might not have been the most horrible part. It may have been that I had so many short layers going on that the whole thing was just too poofy.
So as long as you keep the rest kind of longish (like in the Jennifer Garner picture), and are committed to the straightening, I think it could look really good and in style with the bangs.

TwinFoxes
03-06-2010, 08:29 AM
You're actually one of the people I remember from the "which celeb do you look like" thread from a bit ago! So here's a short(er) hair suggestion:

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/actress/rosario-dawson/pictures/rosario-dawson-picture-6.jpg

And longer a la Angelina, but a bit more styled I think (it's kind of blurry):

http://3.gvt0.com/vi/GFuvY86gpec/0.jpg

I think bangs only work on certain people, and in general I don't think they work well on people with rounder faces (like me!)

Funny...I've been thinking of changing my hair too, but it's so hard to think of something new to do. I got a haircut last year that resulted in the dreaded pyramid hair. :mad: My hair's almost done calming down from that.

Melbel
03-06-2010, 09:02 AM
I definitely like the JG hair style much better. A friend of mine used the same picture for her hair cut! My hair is very thick and wavy which means I also blow dry and flat iron my hair. With the FL humidity it is not easy to keep it straight after the effort. I am considering a keratin treatment. Overall, longer layers work better for me because the shorter my hair is, the more it wants to curl.

As for the bangs, you may consider doing bangs but less of them, and a little longer to still allow them to blend in when you want.

I guess what I am suggesting is something in between the JG and EL pictures.

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2010, 09:51 AM
I say just go in and trust your stylist. If it wins up sucking, well, then, it's hair and will grow back. :) That's what I decided to do and was really happy!

Beth

DietCokeLover
03-06-2010, 10:32 AM
She cuts and colours it (to cover all the gray) in such a way that it looks good when I just wash it and let it dry naturally - yes, no hair dryer and no product. I only see her 3 times a year and she weaves the colour so no obvious regrowth.

Ok, I have so many questions! Is your hair dark colored and if so, how does your stylist do your hair that you only have to color it 3 times a year? I have to recolor my ends every 3 to 4 weeks as I have dark brown hair. I'd love to know if there's a way to stretch the time out more so that I don't look like a skunk!

DietCokeLover
03-06-2010, 10:33 AM
OP, I like the JG look too. I think it looks styled without being overstyled.

arivecchi
03-06-2010, 11:40 AM
i will delete this soon, but here goes...

mommy111
03-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Missed your photo, but I thought that short hairstyle posted by one of the PPs was really well done. It might not work if you have a round face (like mine). I am looking to this thread for ideas as well, because I too have a round face with frizzy hair.

wellyes
03-06-2010, 02:42 PM
I saw your photos but couldn't post because of a toddler freakout. They were lovely! I think your face is not round & I think adding softer layers around your eyes/cheeks would add a touch more style to your look. I can totally see you rocking the Jennifer Garner look. The only concern about it I might have is that you look so young (24ish??) already but if I were you, the only improvement I can think of would be more defined layers. Or, frankly, pretty much keep what you have since it already totally works.

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2010, 02:44 PM
I saw your photos but couldn't post because of a toddler freakout. They were lovely! I think your face is not round & I think adding softer layers around your eyes/cheeks would add a touch more style to your look. I can totally see you rocking the Jennifer Garner look. The only concern about it I might have is that you look so young (24ish??) already but if I were you, the only improvement I can think of would be more defined layers. Or, frankly, pretty much keep what you have since it already totally works.

:yeahthat: My thoughts too.

Beth

niccig
03-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Ok, I have so many questions! Is your hair dark colored and if so, how does your stylist do your hair that you only have to color it 3 times a year? I have to recolor my ends every 3 to 4 weeks as I have dark brown hair. I'd love to know if there's a way to stretch the time out more so that I don't look like a skunk!

I have medium brown hair. The colour is my natural colour, so no obvious regrowth, and she then weaves in blondish highlights to cover up the gray, as the gray become more obvious between appts, it ends up being a silvery/blonde mix. My gray is mostly around my face and I've had it since mid-20's. I like the Eva L. dark brown colour, and I've tried that, but then I get the skunk look. I can't do one over colour.

I had my hair done in early January, and I will probably think about going back sometime this month, but I probably won't make the appointment until early April sometime. I say I go in 3-4 times a year. My hair dresser does the hair of everyone at DH's work. I used to go to someone closer to home, and I always hated it. DH kept telling me to see T, as everyone at his work (men and women) see her. It's a longer drive for me, but she's worth it. She knows me pretty well now, and she knows I want low maintenance. DH is going in to see her today, I'll see if she'll tell him what she does to my hair...I'm fairly sure it's just highlights.

Maybe ask your hair dresser for advice on an easier to maintain cut and colour. No way would I go in every month or blow dry/flat iron...but I am very lazy - if it's too much work, I'm not going to do it.

arivecchi
03-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Well, I did it. Here is the result. I'm not sure whether I like it as much as my previous cut. Thanks for the compliment wellyes! I'm 36!

Before & After pics:

TwinFoxes
03-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Oh no! I missed it. Damn.

mommy111
03-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Missed it again, by 23 mins :) I'm sure its lovely, though, everyone is uncertain about a new hairstyle b/c its not what you're used to

arivecchi
03-06-2010, 09:21 PM
LOL. Reposting. New cut (1st pic) & old cut (2nd pic).

2Carol
03-06-2010, 09:23 PM
You said that you were worried that the bangs would be too fluffy because of your wavy hair.

Neither of those gals have wavy fluffy hair in those photos. Are you willing to do the flat iron / lots of product / ++ time spent daily to achieve either one of those looks?

I think it would help if you posted a photo and I sure understand the reluctance to post your image but what if you do a blurr over your actual face over the eyes and mouth (leave the nose because that's a part of the angles that helps decide a hairstyle)? That might help folks see your real hair and face shape and help give better suggestions.

I've been thinking of a hairstyle change too - but with the opposite issues - completely straight hair that takes lots of work to get fluff.

TwinFoxes
03-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Ok saw it! I like the new do. It's kind of Angelina like, but more styled. I like it a lot!

arivecchi
03-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks! I'm trying to get used to the bangs. I've had the one-length haircut with layers for so long (2nd pic).

dcmom2b3
03-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I love your new "do"!!! But your old cut is groovy too.

If it feels good, and works with your lifestyle, then it's perfect, IMHO. If it isn't, the good thing is that it will grow, and you get the opportunity to do it again!

TwinFoxes
03-06-2010, 10:03 PM
I think the bangs aren't very bang-y, so it works. :)

Melaine
03-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Cute! I agree, those are hybrid bangs that should be totally versatile.

arivecchi
03-06-2010, 10:25 PM
I love your new "do"!!! But your old cut is groovy too.

If it feels good, and works with your lifestyle, then it's perfect, IMHO. If it isn't, the good thing is that it will grow, and you get the opportunity to do it again! Thanks! Very true!

I think the bangs aren't very bang-y, so it works. :) Great! :thumbsup:

Cute! I agree, those are hybrid bangs that should be totally versatile. Yay! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm happy you guys like it. Makes me feel better about it. Ok, taking pics down now.

elektra
03-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Cute! I agree, those are hybrid bangs that should be totally versatile.

"Hybrid bangs" hehe. Is that a real term?
Bummed I missed the pics.

mommy111
03-07-2010, 05:40 AM
Missed it again...darn.
But I think I'm going to post my pic with the eyes blurred out like someone said to look for suggestions :) Wish I could have seen the 'versatile bangs' because I'm looking to taking a pic of those to my stylist to explain to her how to cut my hair. This is China, so the stylist, although she's great, has no clues on how to work with a face like mine. I'm so glad yours turned out so well!