PDA

View Full Version : Non-food ideas for Easter Egg Hunt

chlobo
03-05-2010, 04:55 PM
My kids have allergies so I try to put minimal emphasis on candy. We're doing an Easter Egg hunt with the cousins which will be a mix of real eggs & some plastic eggs. Any ideas on what to put in the plastic eggs?

At the end, each kid will get a basket.

ett
03-05-2010, 04:58 PM
I use the large plastic eggs. Non-food items I put in last year included stickers and the plastic animals from the Safari toobs.

KpbS
03-05-2010, 05:01 PM
We also have food allergies here. Stickers, erasers, small matchbox cars, bouncy balls, finger puppets, and sweet tarts are all favorites here.

alien_host
03-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Depending on the age of the kids, money/change can be fun for them. Even a couple of dollar bills.

Temporary tattoos, superballs are good too. Last year I found those capsules with a sponge in animal shapes that you put in water to expand, DD loved those.

We also have food allergies so I'll be watching for other ideas.

crl
03-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Yep, we have food allergies too. I have the giant plastic eggs which gives a bit more flexibility for what fits in.

I've done:

egg shaped sidewalk chalk (fit almost exactly)
mini-playdough (I think I got those to fit)
erasers
matchbox or other tiny vehicles
stickers
temporary tattoos
tops
stamps (not postal stamps--art type stamps)

Catherine

MamaMolly
03-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Another allergy friendly Easter over here. We have put things like rolled up cute socks (sometimes Easter themed but usually just cute ones she needed anyway). That and necklaces, etc.

Meatball Mommie
03-05-2010, 06:09 PM
What about lego men? You can order just men off of ebay (and maybe the lego site, but I'm not sure on that one). I did Polly Pockets for my neices (took them out of packaging).

We've done what others have already suggested...stickers, stamps, tattoos, egg chalk, erasers...

newg
03-05-2010, 07:55 PM
with me diabetic my mom did very little candy.......we got silly putty, little stamps (when we were old enough and then a fun stamp pad in our basket).....hair accessories, money, stickers, sometimes a token (ie: this token gives the person 1 free half hour of saturday morning cartoon time....)
and lots of what other posters have said............................and I like these ideas even for kids that don't have allergies!!

chlobo
03-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the ideas. These are great.

I think the stickers, tatoos, small stamps will work well. Also, my dd is gaga over japanese erasers so I'll do a few of those but they can get very pricey. I plan on giving each child a basket with some bigger stuff in it so I really just need something to put in the eggs.

DrSally
03-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Great ideas. I've done the stickers, tattoos, etc. I like the lego man idea.

JBaxter
03-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Money... quarters, dimes and a few dollars. There is always a $5 prize egg here

Tondi G
03-06-2010, 01:20 AM
small balls

erasers

egg shaped sidewalk chalk

bunny shaped sidewalk chalk

Little mini kites (we got them at Target last year and the kids loved them) they don't fit in eggs but you can put them out for a "hunt" and let the kids find them

hotwheels/matchbox cars

silly putty eggs

stickers

temporary tattoos

playdoh eggs

legos

Oriental Trading company has a ton of little novelty items for easter

Melanie
03-06-2010, 02:43 AM
-shiny pennies (soak them in coke to shine them up if you can't find some)
-stickers
-cheapy plastic toys (I know, I know, like we need anymore of these. LOL)
-little wooden "figures" from michaels/joanns
-This isn't non-food, but we've done cereal
-pretty glass stones (the ones they sell in bags for decorative use in vases...as long as they're lead-free)
-marbles