PDA

View Full Version : Toothpaste for sensitivity?

slworld
03-05-2010, 05:24 PM
I started noticing sensitivity to cold. The dentist gave me some paste to apply to my teeth every night. She didn't recommaend anything specific for brushing but said to avoid any especially for whitening or tartar control (apparently they could worsen sensitivity). Any recommendations for toothpaste for sensitive teeth?

Thanks much

bubbaray
03-05-2010, 05:26 PM
I use Aquafresh sensitive. I prefer it over Sensodyne (icky taste) and Colgate/Crest sensitive (which don't work for me).

Kymberley
03-05-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm a Colgate gal myself, and their sensitive toothpaste works well. Crest Pro Health Sensitive Shield has loads stuff in it, including 2 types of fluroide that help with sensitivity. Sensodyne is also good. It just depends on your preference as they pretty much all work. In dental hygine school, we tried the Crest Pro Health, and while it's a great toothpaste, I had an allergy to an ingredient that caused the soft tissue in my mouth to slough off. That's just my experience though. And definitely steer clear of tater control and whitening. If there is a combination of sensitivity/whitening, I wouldn't even try it. HTH!

bubbaray
03-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Just following upon this, while I otherwise love it, Colgate Total makes my teeth VERY sensitive.

Momof3Labs
03-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Crest Pro Health made my teeth really sensitive (moreso than usual). I like Crest or Colgate Sensitivity. Not crazy about the taste of Sensodyne; I like a stronger flavored toothpaste than that.

Did your dentist give you MI paste? Expensive stuff, and the dentist is making money off of selling it, FWIW.

slworld
03-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Did your dentist give you MI paste? Expensive stuff, and the dentist is making money off of selling it, FWIW.

Yes! Oh so it doesn't really work? .

Momof3Labs
03-05-2010, 11:50 PM
My dad is a dentist. He thinks it is fine, but that the sensitivity toothpastes work just as well. He thinks it is far too expensive for what it is/does. He did give me a sample that he suggested I use before I do any whitening, but not for daily use.