PDA

View Full Version : Netflix streaming

DietCokeLover
03-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Does anyone own a DVD player where you can get Netflix streamed to your tv? I've looked online and it looks like they are $130 and up, and was wondering if it is really worth it or not. Our DVD died so we need to get another. Just trying to decide about if it's worth getting Netflix capability.

squimp
03-05-2010, 10:13 PM
I think it's totally worth it, BUT I do not recommend the Insignia players - lots of people have trouble with them. Ours has a really weak wireless connection and it's always malfunctioning. I'm going to get rid of it and try one of the Sonys or LGs. Sadly Best Buy has the shortest return period on the planet so I didn't discover the true suckiness of their product before the return period closed.

LMPC
03-05-2010, 10:18 PM
We either use our PS3 player or a laptop. I really love Netflix -- we watch way more movies and TV shows through streaming than we do on DVD.

khm
03-05-2010, 10:36 PM
We use my laptop, which has HDMI connection.

LOVE Netflix streaming. Caught up with an embarrassing amount of LOST episodes through streaming. Embarrassing.

We've only went through a handful of DVDs in the same time, it's all been streaming. We've streamed a few kid movies on snowed in weekends.

Netflix streaming is thisclose to making paid cable/satellite obsolete in our house.

LMPC
03-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Netflix streaming is thisclose to making paid cable/satellite obsolete in our house.

That's how we got rid of satellite -- come on, take the plunge....there's always Hulu!!!

Cam&Clay
03-05-2010, 11:06 PM
We have a Blu-Ray player with HDMI. I still don't get it, though. How would you stream Netflix?

shawnandangel
03-05-2010, 11:32 PM
We have a Samsung DVD player that does this. I think I payed $150 for it on sale at Best Buy around Christmas. To stream the Netflix you have to get a USB wireless network card unless your tv and your modom are really close to each other or your husband is good at stringing wires. We got the wireless usb network card and we LOVE it! We watch Dexter and all sorts of movies with it. I think we pay $14.99 a month. Totally worth it.

MelissaTC
03-05-2010, 11:33 PM
We stream Netflix through the Xbox 360 and love it. I have caught up on tv shows and movies. We rarely watch an actual dvd now.

cestkaren
03-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Soon the Wii will be able to stream Netflix.

khm
03-06-2010, 12:19 AM
We have a Blu-Ray player with HDMI. I still don't get it, though. How would you stream Netflix?

You need a device that's connected to the internet somehow - internet cable or wireless.

Certain game systems, certain DVD players and other stand-alone streaming devices plug into/wirelessly connect to the internet, and since they are connected to your TV, can stream Netflix onto it.

http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevices

My laptop has an HDMI connection, so we just log into Netflix, plug it into our TV and watch stuff. It is awesome. I'm actually bumming greatly to have to watch LOST one at a time!

JTsMom
03-06-2010, 09:09 AM
It's totally worth the extra- go for it!

fivi2
03-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Our blu ray player allows to stream Netflix and Pandora (and some other things). We love it - use it all the time!

fyi, though, not all titles are available for streaming. We have still found a bunch, but not everything we want.

khm
03-06-2010, 10:38 AM
fyi, though, not all titles are available for streaming. We have still found a bunch, but not everything we want.

It is kind of random what's available. Well, I'm sure there are reasons that I haven't figured out.

Season 1 of a TV show was streamable, but not the subsequent seasons? I was bummed to have to "accept" the cliffhanger and wait for season 2 via DVD. ;)

khalloc
03-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Definitely worth it. We have 1 on each floor of our house, 1 PS3 and 2 streaming DVD players. DH and I are finally watching Lost via streaming Netflix.

pakin
03-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Soon the Wii will be able to stream Netflix.

Don't forget to reserve a free instant streaming disc from Netflix at www.netflix.com/wii.

From nintendo.com:

To enable their systems to stream content from Netflix, Wii owners will need a Netflix instant-streaming disc for the Wii console, which will be available at no additional cost to Netflix subscribers. The free disc looks and operates the same as a disc-based Wii game, and the entire user experience will feel natural and intuitive to Wii console owners. Netflix members and Wii console owners can now reserve a free instant-streaming disc by going to www.netflix.com/Wii. Once available in the spring, the discs will be delivered for free by first-class mail.

When the instant-streaming disc is inserted into a member's Wii system, an array of movie and TV choices will be displayed right on their TV screen. These titles will be conveniently organized into a variety of categories based on members' personal preferences and will include popular genres, new arrivals and members' individual instant Queues. Using the Wii Remoteā„¢ controller, members will be able to choose a movie or TV episode to watch from their instant Queues or pick one directly from any of the lists. They will also have the ability to read synopses and rate movies, and will have the option of fast-forwarding and rewinding their selection.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

3blackcats
03-06-2010, 10:02 PM
We stream with an xbox 360 and a ps3. We also use our laptops. Love streaming. I don't know if your house would use an xbox 360, but i know the price on them dropped.