PDA

View Full Version : Fess up....how often do you wash everyone's bed sheets?

sewarsh
03-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Assuming no accidents and no one sick....

So, I will fess up and admit that i definately do not do this as often as i should or would like. ideally in a perfect world, i think once every 2 weeks is perfect. i'm lucky if i get to it once a month. curious where others stand...

wellyes
03-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Cleaning lady changes the sheets for us, so - twice a month. I think that's fine. That's fine, right???? We do change them between if they start to feel not-so-good.

newg
03-05-2010, 10:32 PM
I put once a month.........but that's my worse case............I try to do the sheets and towels every week, but the sheets don't always get done with the towels.

crl
03-05-2010, 10:34 PM
I voted once a week, but when our allergies are bad I actually have been known to do them twice a week. I am not a good housekeeper in general, we just all have severe dustmite allergies so the frequent hot wash and dry is necessary to fend off sinus infections, etc.

Catherine

MamaMolly
03-05-2010, 10:36 PM
I got into the habit of Monday being clean sheet day at our house. DH and I both love fresh clean sheets so once a week is so nice!

ChristinaLucia
03-05-2010, 10:38 PM
I used to change them daily but now I do it every three days. I love clean sheets!

sewarsh
03-05-2010, 10:38 PM
OMG! I can't believe how many of you do them 1x a week!!
:bowdown:

I do towels once a week, but cannot get it together to do the sheets that often. The biggest problem being that I can't get the cycle done for washing and drying in between naps/bedtime. i guess i could always buy a 2nd set, but don't really feel like spending the money on that.

belovedgandp
03-05-2010, 10:40 PM
I put every 2 weeks. I do our sheets every week, but the kids are every 2 weeks. I used to be consistent with all of us every week, but the bunk bed is too much of a pain to change.

JMS
03-05-2010, 10:41 PM
I try to change ours 2x/month but the kids are more like 1x/month ... they get baths almost every night so how dirty can the sheets get? :)

kristenk
03-05-2010, 10:45 PM
DD gets new sheets every 2 weeks. Our bed gets new sheets at least every 2 weeks, but I try to change them weekly.

In an ideal world (one in which I didn't have anything else to do other than change my sheets when I wanted), I'd change them about every 5 days. I love the feel of clean sheets. Knowing that fresh sheets are on the bed just makes me happy to climb into bed. :)

SnuggleBuggles
03-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Clean sheets are wonderful...and we enjoy them about once/ month. ;) I just spend no time in my room except right at bedtime so it is an out of sight, out of mind chore. The kids get them a bit more often.

Beth

sewarsh
03-05-2010, 10:53 PM
it is an out of sight, out of mind chore.

:yeahthat:

blisstwins
03-05-2010, 10:56 PM
I plan to do every week. I do it every other.

Indianamom2
03-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Ideally, once a week...but I'm trying to do it for sure once every two weeks.

In college...don't ask. My mom would hide her head in shame.:bag

WatchingThemGrow
03-05-2010, 11:00 PM
DH does them every week. :cheerleader1: I love him.

lmh2402
03-05-2010, 11:06 PM
we change the sheets every sunday morning. i "trained" dh as soon as we started living together

towels are changed every three days

Dr C
03-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Wow, you guys are good.
I'm doing well if they get washed once a month.
Of course lately, DS has been refusing pullups at night so I've been washing his sheets daily, LOL. SIGH.

marie
03-05-2010, 11:18 PM
DD1 has allergies so we have to wash hers 1x/week. I end up washing all of the sheets on the same day (usually Sunday).

I have the added incentive that DH has this "thing" about clean body/clean sheets. So on night #1 of clean sheets, DH will shower without fail. Sometimes, I'll change the sheets more frequently if DH hasn't showered recently enough for my liking. :tongue5:

emily_gracesmama
03-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Every week and I'm always doing laundry anyway so I
figure just keep bringing it on!!!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Once every week or 2. Depending. I have OCD, and I am OCD with my sheets. I wash them and put them on after I get out of the shower, every night before bed I have to shower before I can touch my sheets. DH snores so he is in a separate room. No hanky panky in my room, either. And I secretly freak every time DD touches them...:bag

salsah
03-06-2010, 01:09 AM
i aim for once per week but sometimes things happen and i don't get around it so it ends up being 2 weeks. sometimes i just get ours done so i do the girls' sheets first (or only, depending on how much time i have) the next week. honestly, same goes for the towels. how dirty can the towels get if you use them to dry yourself after you just showered or washed your hands?

DebbieJ
03-06-2010, 01:11 AM
I used to do them WAY less often (I'm talking months at a time), but then I started using the Motivated Moms chore list thing. When I follow that, each bed gets changed every two weeks.

I change hand towels and dish towels every couple days and bath towels once a week.

american_mama
03-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Since I hired housecleaners, the sheets usually get changed every two weeks when they do it. But sometimes I forget to put out the clean ones for them, or don't have any clean, and the job is skipped. Then it's usually the next time they come before they're changed.

When I had no housecleaners, it was about once a month, so that's what I voted.

My ideal would be more frequent changing, but it's not something that I've thought much about.

Melanie
03-06-2010, 02:36 AM
Ideally every other week. Ideally. It got done when we used to have a 2x/month cleaning crew but we don't have them anymore so I've been slipping.

MontrealMum
03-06-2010, 02:47 AM
Barring any accidents, sheets get changed once a week. They also then get washed because we only have 2 adult mattress pads, so they have to be done right away. I will be very frank and admit that this is DH's job, but it's me that's driving the once-a-week schedule. (I'd be doing it myself, but DH's chores are dictated by what he's actually willing to do, and laundry is one of them) Honsetly, I'd really like it to be twice a week. I am laid back (to the point of totally being unobservant) on a lot of things, but fresh linens, for some reason, are important to me. I grew up in a household where they were changed twice a week so I'm sure that's got something to do with it. Facecloths and the kitchen towels get changed even more frequently because they just never get the chance to dry out. We all have lots of allergies so this is a big thing towards controlling them.

essnce629
03-06-2010, 05:33 AM
I voted once a week. I usually try to change our master bedroom sheets on the weekend and DS1 still has accidents about once a week so I'm usually changing his because of that. I really like clean sheets too and I take my shower at night because I don't like getting into a bed all dirty.

mommylamb
03-06-2010, 07:52 AM
I change DS's bedsheet every week (otherwise he ends up with boogers on it). DH typically does the laundry for our sheets/duvet cover, and I think that's about once every 2-3 weeks.

veronica
03-06-2010, 08:15 AM
All sheets are washed on Sat. for us (yes, I have a laundry schedule....)

JTsMom
03-06-2010, 09:04 AM
I aim for once a week, but it probably averages closer to once every two, especially in the winter.

boolady
03-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Clean sheets are wonderful...and we enjoy them about once/ month. ;) I just spend no time in my room except right at bedtime so it is an out of sight, out of mind chore. The kids get them a bit more often.

Beth

:yeahthat: Exactly. DD's get changed about every 10 days, or sooner if needed. Ours? Well, I normally think "We really need to put clean sheets on the bed" at 11 p.m. when I'm climbing in.

Melaine
03-06-2010, 10:17 AM
10 days to 2 weeks. But in the summer more because we get sweaty and if anyone has a cold or anything, more often so it winds up being more like once a week. The girls usually go for 2 weeks though.

hillview
03-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Once a week, cleaning lady. If no cleaning lady (perish the thought) every 2-4 weeks :)
/hillary

kayte
03-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Every Monday. But if something happens and I don't get it done, our maid service will do it (they come every other Tuesday). So it could be as much as two weeks.

ETA-- In the summer I change DD's more often--she is a sweat machine during naptime.

lizzywednesday
03-06-2010, 11:43 AM
I say we do our sheets about once a month, but I'd like to do it more often because DH often, um, "offgasses" at night and our room gets very dusty, so our sheets get pretty gross pretty quickly. But, we don't have 4 sets. (I'm getting there. So far, we have 3 sets, 2 of which we love while 1 is an "in a pinch" set, and 2 coordinating blankets.)

I recently did our pillows using the "Sanitary" cycle on our new washer because he refuses to acknowledge that poly-fill pillows need to be washed. I guess since he doesn't suffer from allergies himself, it's not something he thinks about. I just bought dryer balls (ordinarily, I'd use clean tennis balls) so they've even benefited from being washed & dried because the balls fluffed them up!

Frankly, I'd like to do the pillows in another couple of months (I <3 my washer/dryer) and get another set of sheets so we can at least change them a bit more frequently.

Today, I'm washing the new sheets we've received for our crib.

crl
03-06-2010, 12:02 PM
I recently did our pillows using the "Sanitary" cycle on our new washer because he refuses to acknowledge that poly-fill pillows need to be washed. I guess since he doesn't suffer from allergies himself, it's not something he thinks about. .

We use dustmite encasements on our pillows, comfortors and mattresses. That's what our allergist recommended and it really seems to help.

Catherine

egoldber
03-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Every other week when the cleaning lady comes. :) Less often when she doesn't...

LarsMal
03-06-2010, 12:49 PM
I do pillow cases at least once/week. I'd like to say I do the sheets every 2 weeks, but sometimes it gets closer to 3 or 4 weeks. I'm better about it in the warmer weather, when the dust mites are a bigger problem.

lizzywednesday
03-06-2010, 01:06 PM
We use dustmite encasements on our pillows, comfortors and mattresses. That's what our allergist recommended and it really seems to help.

Catherine

I double-case my own pillows but the concept escapes DH.

Since we share the bed, washing his pillows in extra hot water every now and again makes it easier on my allergies. I need to set up a schedule, but it has to be done while he's out of the house and won't know the difference.

crl
03-06-2010, 01:14 PM
I double-case my own pillows but the concept escapes DH.

Since we share the bed, washing his pillows in extra hot water every now and again makes it easier on my allergies. I need to set up a schedule, but it has to be done while he's out of the house and won't know the difference.

So, you use 2 regular pillowcases? I'm not sure how much that would help because the mites are smaller than the "holes" in the fabric, kwim? We use stuff like this: http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/compare-dust-encasings.html And you could just put it on your dh's pillows and then you put a regular pillow case on top and he likely wouldn't even notice. Our allergist told me to wash the encasements once every 6 months to a year and to wash the sheets and pillows cases and mattress pad and comforter cover (in other words everything that isn't encased in the special dustmite encasements) every week on hot and to dry on hot as well to kill the dustmites.

Catherine

HIU8
03-06-2010, 03:45 PM
I do sheets once a week on Sundays. Towels are done daily. I think I am considered anal compared to others here. I simply cannot use a towel more than once without washing it (includes washclothes). Sheets on the bed longer than once a week also gross me out. If I had the time I would probably change my sheets every other day (I love the crispness of clean sheets).

Mamma2004
03-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Sheets get changed at LEAST once per week. Towels every 3 days...and hand towels sometimes more frequently (especially in the powder room if we have had guests).

Nothing beats fresh, clean sheets on the bed and towels in the bathroom!

Corie
03-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I change the kids' bedsheets once a week.

I change our sheets about once a month.

kijip
03-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Every week or so. Sometimes less, sometimes a little more.

caleymama
03-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Sheets get changed every 2-3 weeks usually, but sometimes more often if I am really on the ball and definitely more often (weekly-ish) during warmer weather. I do try to do new pillowcases each week.

ChristinaLucia
03-06-2010, 06:51 PM
I do sheets once a week on Sundays. Towels are done daily. I think I am considered anal compared to others here. I simply cannot use a towel more than once without washing it (includes washclothes). Sheets on the bed longer than once a week also gross me out. If I had the time I would probably change my sheets every other day (I love the crispness of clean sheets).

I can't use a towel more than once either. It just grosses me out. I know it isn't good for the environment and drives my DH crazy, but I can't.

Happy 2B mommy
03-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Well, our sheets I try every 2 weeks. DD has a waterproof flannel crib/mattress protector that covers 2/3 of her twin bed. It's heavy and stays on top of her sheets. She is still a heavy wetter at night and that get washed every week or so because she will leak...

DS has an ultimate crib sheet that gets changed weekly or as needed.

happymom
03-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Cleaning lady does it every 2 weeks. I'm just wondering- when you say "change the sheets", do you mean *just* the sheets? We do a full linen change every 2 weeks- sheets, duvet covers (big pain) and pillow cases. It would never occur to me to change just the sheets.