PDA

View Full Version : How far ahead can a nutrition shake be made?

lalasmama
03-05-2010, 10:57 PM
The nutritionist just started Lala on a DIY nutrition shake (milk, cream, Carnation Instant Breakfast). She's supposed to get 2 per day--once in the morning and once in the evening. Its becoming a hassle, because at 7am, I'm not functioning well enough to remember "Oh yeah, Lala's shake", and she's not old enough to make it herself. If I ask her to remind me, I hear "Mom! My Shake!" like she's screaming "Fire!" or I'm "reminded" every 3 minutes. UGH!

So, anyone have any idea how far ahead of time I can make them? I'm thinking making 2 at dinner (the evening one and the following morning's breakfast one), but I'm not sure how long they would keep considering the milkand cream would be in an open container....

::sigh:: Pediasure and the like are sooooo expensive, but I'm not sure how I like this DIY instead!

sariana
03-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Well, I've left glasses of milk in the refrigerator all day or even overnight. As long as there isn't anything with a strong odor in there (fish or broccoli, e.g.), it should be fine. You'll need to stir it really well because the mix will settle out.

Could you find a cup with a lid?

lalasmama
03-06-2010, 01:12 AM
I didn't even think about finding a cup with a lid. I'm a dork tonight :) I think I saw some at BRU a while ago, will go check there tomorrow! It would be soooo much easier to have a shake or two ready ahead of time!