PDA

View Full Version : How to introduce my children to music?

gatorsmom
03-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Another thread got me thinking about this. I'd love if any of my kids played a musical instrument but I have no idea how to determine if they would like one or which one would interest them. Gator is in Kindergarten this year so I know that soon will be the time to start lessons.

Any suggestions on how to go about determining musical interests in my kids? Neither DH nor I play an instrument, well, not really. TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
03-05-2010, 11:58 PM
I don't know if this would be an interest but we love Music Together. They have a Big Kids' series that is great exposure to music though not really instrument training. But, even if you just do regular class you can see if your kids are interested in music as much as some other endeavors you might want to encourage.

Beth

elliput
03-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Play recorded music in the house as much as possible and change it up as to what genres are played- classical, jazz, rock, showtunes, etc. Exposure to live music is essential so that your children can see instruments being played and understand that a person has to manipulate the instrument by blowing, strumming, pounding, bowing, etc. Find out when there are concerts in the park, stop and listen to street musicians, go to football games and parades to watch the marching bands, etc.

Get a simple set of percussion instruments- there are several options at TRU.

I think you will definitely know if any of your children want to pursue music once you have exposed them to live music.

sariana
03-06-2010, 02:18 AM
Do you have community education classes or summer camps? Our rec department and local school districts have all kinds of classes for kids. Our local community college has a summer program called College for Kids. I would look into those types of programs to see if they have any youth classes. That can be a good introduction to music without a big commitment up front.

wolverine2
03-06-2010, 08:33 AM
If you have a local symphony, they often have "instrument petting zoos" and kids concerts. Exposure to instruments will peak interest, and then you can run with it.

DS started violin this year (but DH plays, so that's why he was interested).

jayali
03-06-2010, 08:47 AM
DS LOVES music, but I am not sure if it is because of anything we did or because he comes by it naturally. My family, with the exception of me, is very musical. We went to music together starting at six months old. He has tons of play instruments and that is what he gravitates to when he is playing alone.

At three he asked Santa for an electric guitar and amp. Santa brought it and that September we started him in music school. He has been playing the Cello for almost two years and just started the second Suzuki book. He picked the Cello - he had his choice of Violin, Viola or Cello.

I think it is important to just expose them to different types of music and instruments. I wouldn't push it the instrument unless they show an interest. My mom forced me to play piano and I hated it. Of course in hindsight I wish that I could play now, but back then I just wasn't ready.

We also go to all types of concerts - we go to children's concerts as well as adult type concerts. We have even taken him to the Opera - which he also loved.

JTsMom
03-06-2010, 09:01 AM
DS is a music fanatic! We don't understand it at all- nobody in our families is the least bit musically inclined. DH is so tone-deaf, and has zero rhythm, it's funny.

I think watching Jack's Big Music Show as a little one fed his obsession, but he was seriously a music lover since birth- it was nuts. We read books about music, have a bunch of instruments, etc. Since fall, we've been taking classes based on The Music Class curriculum.

http://www.themusicclass.com/locator/main.asp

It doesn't look like they have any classes in your area, but I thought I'd post for anyone else interested. What's weird is that our location isn't on there, but I think that's b/c our instructor has her own company and just follows their curriculum. The classes are truly fabulous. Even with Jason's short attention span, sensory issues, etc. he takes so much from them, and truly loves going.

The music is great- very catchy, but not annoying kid stuff. Every song is designed to teach something that enhances their musical abilities. They never realize it though, b/c they have way too much fun. :)

TonFirst rec'd it to me, and I'm so grateful that she did. I know they love it as well.