PDA

View Full Version : Summer camps...

niccig
03-06-2010, 02:16 AM
The main topic at DS's school at the moment is "what is your child doing over the summer?" I don't need DS to go to camp full time, but I will need some time in July and August to go to my old work as I'm finishing up a project, maybe twice each month for 4-5 hours. I can do the work work at home at night. I do want DS to have some activities where he can play with other kids. He's in pre-K and will be 5.5 years old. He's always gone off to preschool and now pre-K without a fuss, but he says he'll only go to camp if he has a friend or me there. I was thinking of maybe 2-4 weeks of 3 days a week.

I have several issues with some of our options.
1. Many kids from our school go to one camp. Pros are that he'll know other kids. Cons they do a lot of swimming, and DS can swim a little but I'm not comfortable with recreational swim without me there to supervise him. My sister was a lifeguard for a few years, and well I know it doesn't take much to be distracted. If he was a stronger swimmer, I would be fine.

2. The YMCA camp for him is either the Kinder camp, but they go on field trips like Disneyland. Sorry, I don't want 20 kids in a group at Disneyland without me there too. I could have him part-time and not on a field trip day, but the hours are longer as well 9-5. There is a camp for 3-5 year olds that he could go to that stays on the the YMCA grounds. He's gone to their babysitting for years and is familiar with the location. The 3-5 year old is more like the babysitting - it does have some structure: they do have gym time, out door play, circle time, swim lessons 2 days a week, but as we did swim lessons here I know how careful the instructors/lifeguards are and I feel more comfortable with their set up as I know it. I wonder if the age group will skew too young for DS and if he would get bored as it is more preschool style. A friend asked about it and she feels it's more babysitting and no interesting art/science/out door play experiences like building a rocket or learning horseback riding. But then I really do need it for babysitting when visiting work, and the extra swim lessons would help him too.

3. There are several 1 week camps that I could sign him up for. There's a science camp, a zoo camp, a lego camp, a horse riding camp - these camps have been recommended by people I know. But I just don't know about DS at 5 going off with counsellors I don't know, and if he'll be OK with this. I see a friend's point that it might be easier to go to one camp for a few weeks as you get to know it, rather than doing something different each week.

4. There are other camp options, but they are very expensive. If I need more work time, I would be comfortable using them.

I do plan to do activities with DS over the Summer - I think I'll post closer to the summer to get ideas and I might set up a camp schedule for us to have different themes each week etc. We have 2 weeks of private swim lessons scheduled, and I'm going to join a nearby college pool and take him there several times a week to just play.

Thanks.

egoldber
03-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Isn't it crazy? We already have our summer camps all done, but I need the full time child care.....

If he's never done a camp before, I would try to find one two week session during that time on a topic that appeals to him. I have to admit, that I really don't worry about counselors and summer camp.

My older DD has always loved the idea of camp and always wants to do a million camps. It's like all the best parts of school with none of the not fun parts. ;)

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2010, 10:07 AM
I guess I just don't tend to stress about things. The swimming thing wouldn't bother me, for example. If they don't pass a deep water test at camps or pools here they are not allowed in deep water and often spend all their time in 2-3' deep. Also, with life guards + counselors I think there are a good number of eyes out each time. But, if it's outside your comfort zone there are other choices.

We have been doing #3 since ds1 was 3yo. Never bothered me one bit to send him off on a counselor supervised camp held at a place like the zoo or museum.

I know a lot of families in my area send their kids to full day, weeks long camps but I just don't need that. If I needed childcare then I would do them in a heartbeat b/c I do like the idea of 1 camp, getting to know everyone... it just isn't practical for us though. So, the week long camp sessions appeal to me because there are so many cool themes out there. He usually does half day camps.

If you need more hours than the camp offers, you can seek out ones that have pre and post childcare. That is fairly common here.

It's funny because I was just talking to a friend the other day about a camp ds1 went to last year and loved. The things that I liked about it, the field trip to the playground a few streets over and the pool, really bothered her. I never was concerned about either and am still not. The camps that ds1 has gone to have been in existence for so many years that I think that they have good systems. They also worked so long to build a good reputation that they take that seriously by hiring good staff and taking on what they can do safely.

Beth

JustMe
03-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Wow, the summer camp info isnt even out where I live!

Personally, I'd probably be comfortable with #1, but I can understand where you are coming from. I don't know if it would help to try to talk to the directors and see how they organize/what steps they take to insure the safety of kids while they're swimming.

Another thing you could do is call some of the camps listed in number 3 and see if there are any variations within the same type of camp week to week and if kids ever do the same camp for more than one week (if that makes sense). We have similar camps where I live, and with dd's temperament no way would it make sense for her to go to a different camp every week (and I needed her to be in camp due to my work). I was able to find a camp that changed things up slightly week to week, had the same counselors throughout the camp, and said that yes they do have many kids that repeat the camp for several weeks.

Good luck.

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Wow, the summer camp info isnt even out where I live!

I learned my lesson last year and signed up when we got a flyer for the one back in December. Isn't that nuts that they sent it out that early?! But, I did it and got our spot, unlike last year. :) The rest have been trickling in over the past 2 weeks so the season for sign ups is just kicking off otherwise.

Beth

JustMe
03-06-2010, 01:02 PM
I learned my lesson last year and signed up when we got a flyer for the one back in December. Isn't that nuts that they sent it out that early?! But, I did it and got our spot, unlike last year. :) The rest have been trickling in over the past 2 weeks so the season for sign ups is just kicking off otherwise.

Beth

Wow, December is really early! Honestly, though, I wish the info here would be out somewhat before it is...some camps have info in April, but there are many that wait until May or June! This is hard because I have significant time off from work in the summer, but have to coordinate this with my boss before the camp info is out...so we are often stuck with the camps that would not be my choice for dd and dont get to do those that would be great, because I dont have that info before i have to do my summer work schedule. I guess you can't win!

egoldber
03-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Yes, the camps here fill fast. There is also priority registration and sometimes a discount if you register early.

mommy111
03-06-2010, 02:01 PM
I would do #2 with the camp for younger kids, if you're not comfortable with the swimming (personally, I would be and so DC would go to camp 1, but I prob wouldn't want my child at disney alone as part of a camp). IMO, even little kids camps have things to play with (coloring papers etc) even if they don't have a lot of structure, and a little unstructured time is not a bad thing for kids...in my experience, kids are extremely unlikely to get bored in this kind of an environment, esp if he has a friend there.

Melbel
03-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Just a thought to add to the mix - could you get your DS some swim lessons before camp to make you more comfortable? Another option - could your DS wear a flotation device in the pool? Before DS and DD1 were great swimmers, the camp allowed them to wear swim vests.

DS and DD1 love summer camps, especially where they know many of the children.

I need to map out the different camp options and weeks and sign up. We will probably do about 3-4 weeks of camp, just for fun.

niccig
03-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks everyone.

I've sent off some emails to friends about some of the camps.

DH think DS will get bored at the Y's 3-5 year old camp if he goes all the time. We can book that on a as needed basis, if there is a space. My babysitter, who works at the Y said it's never a problem. We're going to keep that for August if we need something for one week, so I can do the work. My parents might be in town then and if they are, I don't want DS to be at a camp, nor will I need babysitting to go into work. We'll also look at some of the week camps, if my parents don't come - hoping to know that in April, so I can still book something hopefully.

We're going to see if we can do camp 1 for July for 3 days a week - but it might be too late, to get in. Their dates are a little strange for our holiday plans, and we would need to miss the first few days. They have kids that do the entire summer, or ones that only do 5 weeks and start at different times. I'll call and ask about their swimming set up.

DS does do swim lessons, but they are set for the last 2 week of July. We can't do them earlier because of our travel plans in June. I do take DS to the Y for free swim, so I can work with him on swimming better, and for most of June I plan to hang out at the local college's pool. He's comfortable in the water, knows how to be safe around the water, and can swim 4 strokes, take a breath and swim 4 more strokes - but sometimes he still can take a mouthful of water and then needs help. If he fell in accidentally, he can get himself to the wall and pull himself out. Doing more swimming, as in playing with other kids, will go a long way to increasing his skills - I remember spending the entire summers swimming with my friends.

HIU8
03-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Yup, I missed the date for discounted registration for DS and I could just kick myself (it was Dec. 1st). But, both DS and DD are now signed up for 1 month of daycamp. The rest of the summer they will go to a sitter about 20 hours a week so I can work. FWIW, DS's camp has free swim and lessons. For free swim he will only be allowed in one section of the pool and there are tons of lifeguards and the camp staff who are required to be at the pool and standing at the edge with a pole (you should see this, it looks like a small army around the pool--but it is in response to a fatality that occured 2 summers ago that was medically related, but still). DD will go to the baby pool with her 2 teachers for 30 minutes daily. I was a mess when DS did this, but I have since mellowed (I did sneak in and watch DS at the pool many times last summer and the summer previous).